Uncomfortable truths of Transformers collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SegaGenesis, Aug 19, 2010.

1. BigTransFan

BigTransFan Well-Known Member

Your need for TF's will compete with real life(with me, its toys or college)

if you find a person who understands your obsession, you will most likely be marrying that person

There is a good possibility your toys will make you homeless

2. MrFX

MrFX Collecting never ends...

I'm looking at YOU, Alternity Cliffjumper/Bumblebee. The issue with the steering wheel took a few of us off guard.

3. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Nothing wrong with any of that

Could be said for any line of collectibles... the important figures and those likely to sell well will always get bigger more expensive toys.

Incorrect.

4. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    Your Transformers will never love you as you love them.

5. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

- hasbro has given up on the concept of cityformers :( 
    - thus, we will never see a classics style metroplex or trypticon (I still have my fingers crossed anyway though)
    - thanks to powercore combiners/ rotf devastator, hasbro may have also given up on proper combiners
    - thanks to minicons, we will probably never see soundwave/blaster and his cassettes
    - galvatron won't get remade for a nice long time
    - even fansproject can't fix the classics galvatron that we have
    - no matter how good you kitbash energon megatron into classics galvatron, in your heart you know it's really still energon megatron painted different with some added pieces

6. MrFX

- A hundred times, you will hear someone tell you how much you are wasting money. A hundred times right after that, you will hear someone tell you how they would use their money in what might be considered an equally "wasteful" fashion. But somehow, their way of spending is better because it doesn't involve toys.
    - Workers/anyone coming to install stuff in your home will almost ALWAYS know 20th Anniv. Optimus Prime when they see him. "I had all of them when I was kid" will be one of the lines of dialogue.
    - While most of the TFandom can be really awesome, some of the people can be equally shitty. But that's people in general.
    - You will get impatient at one point or another trying to get ahold of a new release toy. You'll be pissed with Wal-Mart or wherever because they haven't received XX toy yet. The moment you order it online for retail +$5 and then shipping on top of that, it will show up in a local store either same or the next day. On top of that, it will be too late to cancel your online order.
    - Toy collecting living in the South SUCKS...we get everything nearly dead last. People over in Cali have their new toys over a month before the Carolinas even see them.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

No matter what you like or dislike some other fan will hate you because you don't like or dislike the right things.

No one is a true fan because no matter what you collect someone will paint you as not being a true fan because of what you collect or don't collect.

Collecting a full sub-team is increasingly becoming nothing more than a foolish fan boy dream. Getting something like all five dinobots in the same style just isn't going to happen any more.

Some unfortunate characters in a style that seems like a no brainer to fans will be the figure that Hasbro drags it's feet on releasing.

Hasbro will never love us as much as we'd like them to love us, but we will still remain friends because they give us some nice stuff here and there.

Third party stuff will always make you wonder why the hell can't Hasbro do this or why can't Hasbro release that character with that alt mode.

Transformers fans will always fight over whatever the next new thing is in Transformers.

Movie fans will try to make the movies into something epic like Star Wars when the movies will more than likely end up like Independence Day or any other big movie that now just fills a slow Saturday on TBS.

8. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Our toys are produced by cheap mass labor in China in crappy conditions.

9. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

you will always poop in your pants when you find a beat up g1 sea spray at a yard sale

10. teruo kaiba

teruo kaiba Made In Japan

Hasbro and TakaraTomy are a business. The only obligations they have is towards their shareholders usually in the form of increasing the price per share. As such, any action they take in the end can be attributed to that goal. The release of figures the fandom wants is only done if there is a profit to be made. Actions that the fandom believes as "catering for" and "caring" about the fans can be looked at as simply a method to further sales and raise revenue. In the end, money trumps all.

Not saying it's bad thing, considering I do have shares in Hasbro, but it's the truth.

11. whoamidri

unfrotunately, the whole world seems to operate this way, well at least in north america

12. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    Even tho you may be right roy about no more cityformers,the cybertron
    metroplex is a great homage to his G1 self.

The PCC's and others may not last very long as April or May next year they
    will probably be outie since the movie will take over then.

13. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    How is that unfortunate? It's the very basis of the market economy.

14. whoamidri

if unrestrained, it leads to corporate greed, which leads to maximizing profits while reducing cost etc in the end the people who get ripped off are the consumers. when the whole world operates this way I believe it becomes an obsticle in the path of progress (i know a very braod statement but....) maybe im a lil :crazy: 

15. MrFX

True, which leads me to the next point:

- The only character set that you are almost guaranteed to get in nearly any TF line is Sideswipe and Sunstreaker.

16. rhapsodyred99

rhapsodyred99 Well-Known Member

Heck get the Hikaru one and you dont even really have to repaint it if you dont want, jsut slap a reprolable on it.

Granted it would look better with the Fast Pack painted, but the stripes on the bot are nearly right.

get the Yamato one. They have a 1/48 and a 1/60 that look great.

[​IMG]

17. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    Except Animated. And the Movie lines.

So just Generations really.

18. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    -The movie-aesthetic is more or less present in current Transformers toys, and may probably continue to be present in toylines to come.
    -We will never see a new Omega Supreme...or Trypticon...or Fortress Maximus...or Metroplex. Not Scorponok, though, apparently. As long as there's a Transformer with a scorpion mode, Scorponok will be there.
    -No matter what the Transformers line is, it's 110% guaranteed that you'll see at least ten Optimus Prime figures in one toyline. A good chunk of them being repaints of each other.
    -There will be a repaint for the mold you just got, and it'll probably be a hundred-times more badass.
    -Beast Wars will probably never get new toys ever again, not after the fiasco that was Universe 2.0 Cheetor (and yet I still want him for some unknown reason). But then again, Dinobot was elected into the Transformers Hall of Fame, so who knows on that one...
    -Some Autobots and Decepticons will have Autobot and Decepticon prefixes on their names, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.
    -The fandom can NEVER be satisfied with anything...unless it's Shattered Glass. Then it's unanimously loved.
    -Gold Plastic Syndrome is ever-present on some of your favorite toys.
    -G1 Shockwave will never get reissued...or get the Classics/Universe/Generations treatment.
    -Soundwave will never get the Classics/Universe/Generations treatment either. And no, his Music Label toy doesn't count.
    -You'll waste a couple hundred dollars on a convention exclusive when you find out Hasbro has made a public, cheaper version of the same character, just as a new mold instead of an over-glorified redeco.
    -There's always going to be that one fan that you either come to love or hate with a burning passion.
    -Transformers Animated may be the only line that got wrongfully shit-canned.
    -G1 Megatron will never get reissued in the USA. Ever. Not even if they painted it like Classics Megatron.
    -Tuner Mudflap is by far the worst shelfwarmer in Transformers history. The shelves packed with this toy mock you, saying "Oh, you want a different toy? Tough luck! Buy Tuner Mudflap or GTFO!"
    -The G1 cartoon in of itself hasn't aged well, IMO. But hey, your kids will probably get a kick out of it.
    -Prices of toys are much higher than what they were back during your childhood.
    -Orson Welles only voiced Unicron because he needed some extra money, and he died during production of the animated movie. Not a good way to go out for a big name actor like him. But I'll be damned if anyone can pull off a better Unicron than Welles.
    -Every couple of weeks on TFW2005, there will be a "What character do you want for CHUG" thread.
    -Third-party products will make a Transformer toy a helluva lot better.
    -Some members of your family will think you're a weirdo for collecting toys.
    -Deep down, some fans are starting to regret collecting hunks of plastic after eight years when clearly that money could have gone towards something better for their lives, and selling the toys now would either get you back all that money one had wasted for nearly a decade or at least half of it.

Okay, those last two is just me. :redface2:  I hate being pessimistic. Not to go off-topic...but that's how I'm feeling right now.

19. teruo kaiba

teruo kaiba Made In Japan

To a degree I would agree especially in regards to corporate greed and cost cutting which sometimes hurts the end product and occasionally the consumer (think automobiles ie Toyota)

However in the realm of the discussion at hand and specifically Transformers, I just find it that many times people complain about things such as re-using molds for repaints, or lack of paint apps while failing to understand or ignoring the profit driven motives of the company. Re-using molds helps their economies of scale and thus lowers price points. If they didn't I'd assure you that the cost per figure would increase.

Also with regards to paint apps and the argument of TakaraTomy having more. Hasbro doesn't need to add more paint apps in order to move their products, that's been proven through sales. However competition in Japan is much higher and with several other companies providing figures with a great number of paint apps, if they didn't they wouldn't be able to move their product as well.

I guess my point is that often times people forget that the hobby we love is a retail product and as such falls victim the laws of consumerism.

20. tfmad2010

tfmad2010 Oh Hai Internet!

News Credits:
    hasbro doesn't give the uk as much figures as the us
    uker's will have to import or go buy from import companies
    once a toy gets over 5 years old, it starts to go up a bit in price