Uncomfortable truths of Transformers collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SegaGenesis, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    It doesn't matter that the number of car molds in a line is in the double digits, 4 construction vehicle molds is plenty.

2. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

There will never be another gun Megatron weildable by a human.

Beast Wars doesn't get enough love.

Supreme's usually suck.

There's too many different types of Bumblebee clogging shelves.

Hasbro doesn't seem to learn from previous shelfwarmers. Case in point: Tuner SKIDS.

3. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OMG, I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this.

*casts about frantically to avoid making a useless me-too post*

-The toys you want to sell off for money and space are the ones everyone else wants to sell off for money and space. :lol 

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    -The toy you want the most, will be the one you never see ANYWHERE and will end up being over double price on the secondary market.

-The online exclusive you want will be available for order when you are nowhere near a computer, and sell out before you can get to one.

5. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The franchise will always be directed at kids first, and if it somehow changes to focus on collectors instead we may end up with a MattyCollector situation(though with better servers most likely).

As long as a character(ex Bumblebee) continues to be popular among children, said character will get many, many different toys made of him/her

Some will just never understand the hobby and call us immature for it.

In thier defense even if he is a repaint he was possibly already in the works of production before Turner Mudflap was evidentally a shelfwarmer.

6. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:

:rock 

-One thing that does kinda suck IMO, is that we're probably never get good show accurate scale with any toyline. If you look at scale charts for Animated and the Movieverse you're really see how bad the figures match

7. Dran0n

Dran0n junk male

News Credits:
    1. I'll never get laid.

2. Some figures are fugly.

3. G1 isn't as good as everyone says.

4. Leaders are $46 now.

5. BayForMeRz is underrated and you all know it.

8. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

thenatureboywoo won this thread. :thumb 

9. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

Unless you already have kids and you take them with you to browse. Helps keep the weird looks away. :lol  Of course, then you have to figure out how to keep them placated while you find the figures you want because inevitably your kids will want some.

Speaking of, that's my uncomfortable truth: When I buy new figures, I have to buy two of each so I can keep my kid away from mine. That can end up hurting the wallet quite a bit.

10. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    You will eventually run out of room for your collection.

11. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    # When it comes to money matters - bills vs TFs - TFs always seem to take priority (for me atleast... :eek: ). Should I start saving for Rego now or should I wait for my next payday? Should I get that expensive TF now or put it off for a month or 2? It's a losing battle... :lol 

# Where in the hell am I gonna store/display all of these bloody toys?!

# Why did I buy that pointless repaint?! Argh!!!

12. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

I forgot a really good one!

There are no impossible to find Transformers, only really expensive ones.

Also, I really like the G1 cartoon and the movie. I didn't mean to dis, and yes compared to He-Man it's fucking Citizen Kane. Knowing the cartoon is kinda silly, and the movie is a little derivative doesn't bother me that much.

13. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Well-Known Member

I will not argue with that!

Oh, damn, I think that metal that was used in all our toys was likely 60% lead... :D 

But they did make the most satisfying "thunk" when you chucked them at a classmate's head.

14. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    wow! im glad you can keep it so low. i do 500.00 to 1000.00/month & as for a year? dont want to know.

15. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Easy: $6000 to $12,000

tbh I tell myself $100/month but go over the $300 mark way too often

16. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There will always be a figure that will be an incredible pain in the ass to transform and tempts you to bang the thing against the table/wall/hard surface in frustration.

You will then post in a "What's the Hardest Transformers to Transform?" thread about said figure, only to see about a half dozen people shortly claim about how easy it was for them to transform. You may end up feeling a little bitter towards those people for no good reason and/or like an idiot who can't transform a child's toy without analyzing a video review like it's the Zapruder film.

I'll agree with the first two, but I can still see the third if they make enough modifications and make it closer to the cartoon model than the original toy. Take the Classics Jetfire mold and go from there.

17. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Well it's not like you can't get a hold of a "reissue Jetfire" You've just got to be willing to paint it yourself. 1/55 VH-1S Valkyrie, that's G1 Jetfire.

18. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    hasbro and takara should have a nation wide buy 10 (decide size of transformer) scout, deluxe, voyager, etc...get one free program...that would help give some love to the wallet pain.

The last 2 years have had the best molds (universe, generations, re-release of insecticons, preceptor, seacons) than the last five before that( A/E/C) as far as recreations of characters in modern updated forms...Classics 1.0 was the epic start to this new fun fest of transformer buying.

Once the last transformer movie is released (TF3) hopefully we will get away from the spindly decepticon insect robot forms.

You will want to own all the transformers...but will never have the time or room to acquire and store them...

19. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    ROTF Leader class Prime

20. tanleeseng

tanleeseng Well-Known Member

Some of the following points are related to each other (and also to my real life) :

1. Your family members and friends will keep on asking you : "Why do you keep buying these things ?" but you just can't make them understand.

2. You know you want to stop collecting but somehow you just couldn't do it.

3. You know you have ran out of space to store them but you just keep getting more.

4. It's too late now that you realize those TFs you gave away to charity in the past is now worth a lot on eBay today.

5. You will always find flaws on a TF figure.

6. You will always be envious of those who got their TF figures early (especially exclusives) and of those who have figures that you don't.

7. The actual TF figure will never look as good as the production shots.

8. There will never be an updated version of Six-Shot (from Has/Tak) with super articulation and able to change in to 6 forms without looking weird. (Please prove me wrong Has/Tak)