Ultra Magnus

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by cgibsonREX, Nov 29, 2008.

1. cgibsonREX

cgibsonREX Knight of Cybertron

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
  2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Sometimes is right.

Cartoon he wasn't.
    Marvel comic he didn't exist.
    Don't know about the UK comic.
    Dreamwave comic if it isn't specifically stated its at least alluded too.
    IDW I don't think so.

3. Silent_Magnus

Silent_Magnus Taint of Primus

News Credits:
    I think it's just DW.

Although IDW is still(sort of) ongoing, so it could be possible in that continuity.

Magnus had some pretty big parts in the marvel UK comics, but he definitely wasn't Primes brother.
    As he was made some time during the first few years the Autobots were active on earth.

4. cgibsonREX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Thankyou kind sirs....:) 

5. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Yes he did.

Not only did the U.S, Marvel comic present its adaptation of the movie but it also presented 2 future stories.

The big broadcast of 2006 and an other one that featured the future galvatron winning the war and then being taken into the past by a different Unicron.

Both ether featured Ultra Magnus or mentioned him.

But no mention or wether he was a brother to Optimus.

The U.K. comic was also from Marvel but no mention of them being brothers was ever stated as far as I know.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Never brought up in the Marvel comic, assume that they are not. The few scenes I remember with the two together showed there was no love lost between them, Ultra Magnus was a few steps off outright disliking Optimus in a couple of issues.

Fun Publications, in their Classicsverse stories, seem to imply that Ultra Magnus (called Little Prime by Grimlock) is a brother.

7. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What? Where'd you get that from? Magnus revered Prime in the UK comics. Are you thinking of when he almost killed Prime thinking he was a Decepticon in disguise?

And Magnus was definitely not Prime's "brother". Magnus was created millions of years later. It's implied he's relatively "new" in Target: 2006.

8. smkspy

But the Marvel movie adaption isn't in continuity, which was why I didn't mention it.

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :confused: 
    man, i am soooo out of the loop.
    but if ya wanna get all technical, just look at the original toy line.

*that's what i did for years*

Personally, even with Sunstreaker/Sideswipe, i have never belonged to the "brothers" or "relatives" camp.

I think "brother" in the TFU is a psychological term. Brothers in Arms; those that are bound to each other by a cause or belief.
    Heck, Starscream and Jetfire, Ratchet, Wheeljack and even Perceptor could be "Brothers" in the field of science/tech.

but i could be off base.

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    NITPICK ALERT!

But the other issue -- an adaptation of a G1 TV episode -- technically was in the Marvel continuity, even if it was only a filler issue and made absolutely no sense with the then-current comic storyline: The Big Broadcast of 2006 - Transformers Wiki

And although TFWIKI doesn't cross-reference this on their US Marvel Comics page, Ultra Magnus was also profiled in issue #4 of Marvel's Transformers Universe.

11. smkspy

Super NIck Pick Alert! lol

Technically, BBo2006 issue 43 in the US comic can be considered out of continuity now because of the Titan trades, which omitted it and the other UK filler issue.

Now don't know if this is because of legality or what, but the trades IMO are now the number source for the original series.

Gotta love those crazy transformers continuity issues. This fandom needs a definitive contintuity badly.

12. cgibsonREX

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Thats what I thought IDW was doing but I wont get into that.

Theres always that "Guide to Transformers" but that book didn't help too much at all LOL!

So I got the details on Magnus from the cartoon and the US/UK comics. What was his deal in Dreamwave? Im guessing this is where all this started.

13. smkspy

I'd say DW was trying to accomplish the one set contintuity more than IDW since it was blending of cartoon/marvel/tech specs.

Yeah, in the second mini-series, Mick wrote Ultra Magnus as wearing armor just like the G1 toy. After Shockwave blasts UM, he sheds the armor to reveal his bot a white G1 Prime ala the toy. Here my memory gets vague its been awhile since I've the DW series, but Prime and Magnus or someone else refers to them as brothers. It may have also been in one of the solicites for an upcoming issue.

Growing up, I never consider them to be brothers despite Magnus' cab being a repaint of Prime. I always used Magnus' cab for Prime when he coats himself in the anti-hate spore metal.

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Technically it "can not" because no reprint policy can supersede the original run or its place in continuity.

Simply because it wasnt or can not be reprinted by Titan or IDW does not remove it from history nor does it change the fact that when Marvel had the right the character of Ultra Magnus did exsist.

Which you claimed he didnt.

15. smkspy

It was a joke dood...hence the super nick pick alert.

16. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Sorry....that went way over my head:drunk