Ultra Class figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thebruteslayer, Oct 6, 2011.

?

Nay or Yay?

1. Yay

131 vote(s)
    87.3%
  2. Nay

19 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    Yay all the way,hey I rhymed and I did it in time.

Okay okay enough joking around,I truly think Hasbro should bring back ultra class since they were in between voyagers and leaders,but they were perfect.Someone said the HA's are like ultra's but I disagree as they are clearly voyager size with an extra legends fig.And even tho Hasbro may not bring them back I think the OP made a great post when he did this and hopefully Hasbro will see it and think about bringing them back.Later all.

2. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I say bring them back, regardless of the line (I'd love me some TF: Prime Ultras), but I'd prefer them to leave out the electronics.

3. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I said yay because I really do like the size. The one thing I can do without are the electronics.

4. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Wish they put Ultra Class in the movie line.

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the Ultra class and I love the electronics! :D  They make for great toys.

6. mechfiend

mechfiend Well-Known Member

This! add to that roadbuster, ultra magnus (official), sixshot, every other big bot.

7. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

I thought MP were taller? Granted, the only photo i can go by is one with Onslaught fighting Grimlock.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Sure, bring them back. I won't be gagging for them but others can if they like.

Then I'll scoop them up cheap when they go on discount.

9. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I'm hard pressed to think of any Ultras that i've ever enjoyed. To me, it just evokes an oversized, perhaps simplified, Voyager with some recycled 'woooosh' or pseudo-machine gun noises.

Hasbro specifically said they believed they weaken the distinction between Leader and Voyager, and that if they did (re)introduce Ultras to any Transformers line it would be instead of Leaders.

Those of you who disagree will of course sound off.

10. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would disagree with that.

From legends to leaders to supremes, Scale has NO relevance to transformer toys EXCEPT Human alliance. They are ALL in scale with each other because of the figure interaction.

Thats why HA is my favorite TFs.

11. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree 100%.

I have my Hardhead up for trade. Just dont really fit in my collection.

12. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Never understood why they killed the line for the 07 movie: both Ironhide and Blackout would have been much more satisfying as Ultras.

13. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

I like the Ultra class but Hasbro keeps using the wrong characters for the group. Ex:p owerglide and Onslaught.

14. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, I guess I'm an imbecile then. News to me.

Totally agree. Although Onslaught is an okay figure, scouts Hubcap and Skystalker are more innovative in engineering and just more fun.
    Personally, I like Voyager snd smaller. They're cheaper, easier to display and are more fun to transform.
    I have a few Ultras, but they are mainly shelf-sitters I happened to get on sale. If I didn't get them cheap, I'd have never bothered. Silverbolt is the worst of the bunch, but that's known already.

15. yami4ct

yami4ct Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't want it back. The main problem with Ultra was they were trying to add value to justify them against voyagers. This saddled them with crappy electronics that hindered the toy and made it worse than if it were a voyager. Sure, there are classics style toys I want to see larger than the others, Overlord and Fort Max would be great to have as larger toys, but I wouldn't want to make the sacrifices that would come with having them be ultra class. If they redefined the ultra class to be as detailed as voyagers and ditched the electronics, sure I'd love it, but I'd prefer Ultras as they were stay dead.

16. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll give you Powerglide, but Onslaught? It suits him perfectly.

17. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

I like the idea for Onslaught but if that came out as a voyager it would have been just as good. That spot could have used for maybe a larger Thunderwing or something.

18. depthcharge82

depthcharge82 Maximal

Less risks with a smaller toy. plus if you look at the 07 line; it wasn't that great. If you haven't noticed; Hasbro has be making the toys smaller. The idea that Hasbro couldn't because it would hard to tell the difference is hogwash if you ask me. Many here have stated that they would be happy without the lights and sounds which would make for a better transformation. It ultimately comes down to if the mold can be made into more than 1 character and those characters are known

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Not sure how they sold everywhere else but the bigger figures moved so slowly around here. With retailers only wanting so much space for each toy line I'd rather have a nice selection of fast moving deluxe size figures than looking at the same huge figures month after month until they go on clearance.

They kind of take up a lot of space to display as well which can be a bit of an issue as your collection starts to grow.

Only exception might be if they did someone like Omega Supreme in that size class to go with a Cyberverse range of figures.

20. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Which would never happen. Once you get above the $20 price range, the "expectation" is to have a big bang for your buck, which is provided by electronic features. A vast percentage of Voyager and Supreme figures feature those for this very reason: without those features, the toys are just "bigger and more expensive". A given consumer is more apt to spend $20 on a toy than a $30-35 toy which doesn't offer anything the smaller toy doesn't, and for a lower price.

Actually, I think Hasbro's Armada and Energon Ultras were pretty nifty all around, but during Cybertron was when I think the size started to suffer due to changing market conditions, though CDF Red Alert is a favorite of mine.

Which I agree with, by this point (assuming the size and features remained consistent) Ultras would be running around $30-35, which is pretty darn close to the old leader pricepoint (currently, it runs around $45).

Dark of the Moon has been the first line in YEARS to see a major change in size (and I think it still remains to be seen if sizes will go back up when Mechtech is dropped, which is what Hasbro is blaming for the smaller figure sizes).

That said, it has been pretty obvious that Hasbro is trying to balance keeping the pricepoints, or raising prices to offset rising costs. Hasbro has basically been able to keep the deluxe size about the same for 10 years, but in 09 they finally raised the price to $13. Voyager figures have also seen feature and size reductions to keep them around $20 (remember, RotF had them skirting $23 initially). Leaders have also largely been the same size, but the price has also gone up to keep them that way.

To keep getting ultras comparative to what we were getting in Universe and prior, they either would have ended up smaller, loosing features (like the electronics, which is the big thing that separates them from Voyagers) or increase price (which Hasbro has been doing to sustain the sizes). But once you break the $25 barrier, the toy looses the "impulse buy" range, and becomes a special occasion gift. Which parents are more apt to "go all out" for a leader at that point (when you consider size, features, and character selection)