Minor/Repaint: Ultimate X-Spance Loose Sideways Waist Fix

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DrOblivian, Mar 3, 2021.

1. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

Of all the issues X-Spance has, the loose sideways waist movement to me was to me the most annoying. So I fixed it!

The essence of this fix is that we are going to making a thin washer out of Styrene to all up in X-Spance's guts to create friction in the waist joint. the issue in general is caused the the pin not being inserted all the way which causes the joint to not have the friction its supposed too.

This was the same issue that SS Longhaul had with his waist joint, though the fix for that was taking a clamp and forcing the pin all the way in. (which could probably be done here if you had the right tool, but I didn't wana risk it with this particular figure.)

But first disassembly. It's pretty easy.

You have to take the waist apart to get clearance. basically two screws in the back and the "belt" comes right off.

x screws.jpg

should look like this when the belt comes off.

x open.jpg

Everyone knows how to pop off mushroom joints. so just pop them out too.

x waist.jpg x waist 2.jpg

now to the washer!

-cut out a piece of styrene the same shape as the joint (I used the thinnest styrene i had. which i believe is about equivalent to a playing card in thickness.)

-then you have to cut one of the sides off to make it the same shape as the grey part so that when you re attach the waist, it doesn't get in the way.

-finally cut out a hole in the middle to make rom for the joint itself on the inside.

(the washer really has to be the right diameter, too big and it wont fit and be impossible to install, and too small and it wont provide the friction you need. I honest to god spend a half hour with an exacto just slowly trimming down the diameter, it was tedious and the worst part of this whole thing. im also garbage at measuring so someone better than me at this might be able to get it first try.)

z wash 1.jpg z wash 2.jpg z wash 3.jpg

now the tricky part was actually inserting the washer. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of getting it in. but what you want to to insert it upside down in-between the blue back piece and the grey waist. Then basically spin it around the central part of the joint until its in the correct orientation.

when I was done I was left with this. If you notice it sticks out the bottom a little, which means I didn't cut it exactly right, but its easy enough to trim up that little excess with an Exacto to make sure its not in the way of the waist when you snap it back on.

z wash 4.jpg

Anyway once the washer is in and in the correct orientation and all trimmed up as to not stick out like in the image above, re-assemble your X-Spance and his sideways waist joint will be all tightened up!

now on mine the joint still isn't SUPER tight, but he can hold a pose now and is no longer a ragdoll mess, which is the important part. He'll pass a light shake test and that's good enough for me.

regardless, its 100% better than it was!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  2. cyberslam

cyberslam Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have a couple of questions. What is styrene? Has anyone else tried this?

3. DrOblivian

DrOblivian Mad Doctor jAmS

Styrene is just sheets of plastic. The same kind (or very similar to) credit cards are made out of.

4. cyberslam

cyberslam Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks.