Ultimate Spider-Man - Death of Spider-Man (contains spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Star Saber, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    It might have been a decent story if not for Ultimatum pretty much ruining the whole death thing for the Ultimate universe. Marvel's "Kill a main character each quarter" plan isn't helping either.

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I think my problem is focusing on the well written and plotted story when I should be thinking of all the negative things Marvel does in other comics. :p 

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    So the Human torch, ice man and kitty will become the new x-men with wolverine's kid? Did they ever finish Ultimate X? Who's going to be Spidey? Flash Tompson? Gwen Stacy? Mary Jane? Spider-Woman(clone) Or some new character no one cares about? And how soon till Peter wakes up and digs himself out, or Fury uses some science project to revive him, or some magic character uses some spell? Do we even care anymore?

4. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I don't believe you do, I still do. So I very much look forward to Ultimate Fallout.

5. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
  6. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
  7. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Miles Morales huh. Ahem. <screeeeeeeech> pulls up chair:popcorn  waiting for it....

8. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I really like a new, fresh Spidey, and one that is black (and hispanic, even :p ) is a great idea in my opinion.

Just too bad that they had to go and kill the best version of Peter Parker ever to get to that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  9. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Yeah it's kinda sad that the Ultimate line went from being the imprint that brought Marvel to the top with modern storylines and great writing and art every month to dying line now known for pulling all sorts of sensationalist type events.

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The new costume is great.
    But it’s too bad that the Ultimate Universe is pretty much a joke these days.
    Marvel has just seemed hell bent on ruining the Ultimate fiction over the last two years.
    I can’t even be interested in this.

11. E.Rabbot

E.Rabbot Abundant Member

Why the Spider gotta be black?!

12. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why not?

13. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I'm getting kind of tired of collecting comics, I think I'll just wait for the movie. They love doing origin stories, as evidenced by the new Spidey movie being the origin story AGAIN, so I'm sure this guy will get a movie eventually...

14. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I don't mind him being African American, but as a long time reader I have no investment in this character. He's never appeared in the comic before to my knowledge, if he did he wasn't someone they spent a lot of time on. It wasn't like with Batman you knew Dick for years when he took over for Bruce, or that they had been bringing Bucky back for almost 2 years before he became cap. Even Jamie Reyes showed up in a major crossover and team up before he became the Blue Beetle. Same when Montoya became the new question. They had some kind of connection to the previous version. Based on the story so far as far I know this guy saw spider-man on tv and thought he was cool so he made a deal with Mephisto to get spider powers(probably not real origin) So this character is coming out of no where and they will have to prove to the reader he's a good replacement. If they had used Mary Jane(would have been funny after all the trouble Joe Q went to ruin her in the main universe) Gwen(she died in the main universe and as a carnage clone might believably have spider powers), Iceman, kitty, or Torch(all have plausable connection), Ultimate Jessica Drew(Female clone of peter with his memories) Flash Thompson, or even Kong would have been more believable. The reader has also been following their exploits in the book along with peter's.

The other issue how will he get spider powers and web shooters? Does he break into may's house and steal Peters? All this will have to work extremely well for long time readers to stay interested.

Also again it's been leaked before the issue has even come out ruining any surprise I might have and making this seem more like a pr stunt than a creditable storyline. I need more than look spider man is now a different race, to continue buying a book I have been consistently buying for over 10 years now that they have killed off it's star.

With the way marvel and especially the ultimate universe has been going for awhile now, I'm afraid to spend my money and then be let down in 10 issues when Peter comes back, or sales fail and they kill the new character or they give the book to Loeb and he starts killing everyone.

I'll give it a chance, but based on previous stunts I'm afraid I won't like it.

15. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Mephisto, the ultimate plot device...

16. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Hopefully they don't kill this guy off, whenever they decide to bring back Peter. Even though it's the Ultimate universe, you know they will. Make him the Scarlet Spider, and have them as a team. That would be pretty awesome.

17. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with Tekkaman Blade. I have no investment in this character what so ever. No offense to the new guy, but my interest in this comic died with Peter Parker.

18. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I love how he mentioned that Donald Glover's Twitter campaign was one of the reasons he decided to go with a Minority Spidey.

Looks like a cool idea, but I'm done with the Ultimate line. Maybe if the reviews are through the roof, I'll consider checking it out in TPB form.

19. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Wanna know what I hope. WHEN Peter comes back, cause we all know he will, I hope that Miles continues to be Spiderman too, except he dons the BLACK SUIT, and Peter takes back the red and blues! I know it may sound silly, but I am down with the idea of an African American Spiderman donning a black Spiderman suit and there being 2 Spidermen in the Marvel Universe. They can right the wrongs of Ben Riley and the clone saga. Hmmmm, I think the PC police would kill my idea though, because imagine a comic panel where they are forming the Avengers and Cap says, "Tony, call Spiderman, we could use his help" and Tony says which one, and Cap replies "Not the Black Spiderman, the whi.... I mean REAL Spiderman!"
    :lolol 

Viva la Miles!

20. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Was Ultimate X ever finished?