Heavy/Scratch: Ultimate Menasor

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Sabrina_Ng, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    I'm sorry, what finishing school did you say you went to?

2. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    I agree with this. No way I could do something like this, even though I agree with some of critiques others have made. But remember, guys, she made this as a commission piece so you never know what the customer wanted.

3. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    What I like about this piece:
    The fists are different colors
    Giant gun = Giant Fun
    Usual shiny with a large figure
    Custom made feet for balance.

What I have to scratch my head on:
    The use of the 'usual parts' to make the figure.
    The plain-ness of the feet. They're really good and stable, but a little on the bulky side.
    The additional parts needed to just stick the figures onto it. It detracts from the whole, and looks different
    The size of the weapon in contrast to the figure. It's fantastic, don't get me wrong, but just a little oversized.

I would say this is a step in the right direction for future combiner work if you desire. It has your personal touches.

Also want to say how awesome it is that you're putting together a guide for painting. It helps us all to make better stuff, and I could use all the guides I can for projects that I would like to complete.

4. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    agree with all you've said. Take off Deadend and Dragstrip and you still essentially have Menasor which is not what a combiner is suppose to be. It's just more like how you would attach the combiner limbs to Metroplex in G1.

5. Pyps

Pyps Germany´s Customizer

well done, but i think the feet aren´t detailed enough... you know, everythink is so highly detailed and these feets are bricks...

6. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Bert the Stormtrooper Reivews

I've been looking forward to seeing the combined pics.
    Great job once again! This looks great!
    Thanks for posting!
    Later

7. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    :jawdropper: 

wow......you do amazing work.......

8. Lion

Lion Aloha

Ebay:
    I think this would be the perfect custom...but...
    The feet need to be fixed. To plain. Bulky looking. Looks like as if you put g1 bruticus foots plates on a fansproject bruticus...just doesn't look right...
    The upper arms (bots) need to be incorporated more. (looks like puzzler arms)
    I say this like I could do better, but I cant. This is simply amazing.

9. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks gorgeous, but don't sell yourself short, even with all the tutorials in the world not everyone will be able to do the amazing things you do with paint!!

10. jtwhoib

jtwhoib Protocol

Ebay:
    Mother of God!! That is sweet!!!

11. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    i think its sweet. i like the striping, it gives a sunlight/shadow effect which works with you shiny colors. my only suggestion would be to make the feet thinner, they do appear blocky in relation to the rest of the figure. as always, nice work.

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Motormaster's face looks extremely weird. Also not really a fan of the combined mode, since it's practically everything I dislike about gestalt customs. (Unicron body, vehicles sitting on limbs instead of mostly being limbs, lanky silhouette)

13. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is what I enjoy the most out of Radicons, there are actual constructive comments that detail what works and what doesn't with a particular custom, and are actually meant to help the overall product, as opposed to generic "beautiful as always, gorgeous, so hot, etc" types of comments that, while nice, are really just throwaway comments, IMO.

14. Scotscream

Scotscream Total-con

Ebay:
    i like it sabby,i see what you were going for in terms of it bein more g1,love the plasma ball and paint app,not really digging the feet but its nice to see something different there.well done,

15. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Interesting take on Menasor. The use of mettalic paint in your work tends to bug me, but it kinda works on these guys here. Especially on Dragstrip and Breakdown.
    Like some of the others in here though, those feet really bug me. With all the other details on this guy, it makes the simple block feet REALLY stand out, and not in a good way.
    Also, am I the only guy who;s tired of seeing customs with Unicron parts? I know they work great as a good base for combiners, but they just seem so played out.
    I do like the spike on the arms though, and the fact that you replaced them with actual metal.
    I'm also not liking the sprayed on "shiny metal" details(Motormaster's trailer, Unicron forearms). Wouldn't an actual metallic paint handle that job just as well?
    Nice work overall though.

16. unlikelyhero

unlikelyhero FOX HOUND RETIREE

Can't wait for the painting tutorial, though you know just because you post a how to doesn't mean everyone will b able to paint like you. You, are an artist to admire ty

17. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Hey everyone! Okie. First and foremost. Thank you for all the opinions, praises and much valued critiques. Very pleased at the attention it got. I am sorry that I am not able to thank everyone personally.

My biggest custom and joy of my life is due in 2 months and I am feeling very tired most of the time. But I still try to put time aside for all the customs on hand. It is not easy but the passion for customs still keep me going.

About the engineering...I won't disagree or try to defend my work as frankly..beauty is really in the eyes of the beholder. This piece was done in a way that prioritised stability and aesthetics first before anything else. If you were to look beyond the unicron kibble, you would see a custom that has very good proportions. I am personally a fan of kibble and regardless of what you think, I see no harm in all these extras.

Also everything aside, at USD 4500, I consult my client every inch of the way to completion. Somethings like the lighting shading is done on my own accord but most are designed to spec.

The only thing that I must say is that the feet, though some have said is blocky..I feel that it is a marvel. It has consistently taken many poses wonderfully in its stride. I guarantee you this. Those of you who have done combiners, will know the challenges of making a gestalt stable. No point having a nice gestalt that cannot stand or that topples at an off pose. Those of you who have bought combiners from other customizers will know that what you see in the pictures sometimes do not translate into real world stability and poses. This feet has none of that issues. Yes..Maybe the design could have been better as some have commented on. But I am truly grateful and appreciative of the chap who has done this feet up for me. You won't get anything better than this (at least not for now) in terms of strength and stability.

I still hope to hear your comments/critiques/praises as that is something that I truly appreciate. Also, most importantly, I will be setting up a thread in the Radicons Discussion area. I need YOUR input on what you want to know in my tutorials. Thanks all. You guys are really awesome!

18. Nyarlahotep

Nyarlahotep Radicon Scourge

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Zebra zoot-suit? :peoples: 

I...uh..ehm..hmmm...

I'm at a loss of words here really.

19. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Maybe you could add some bits and pieces to the feet so they have more detail...

20. Rodimeister0088

Rodimeister0088 Prime

Totally. No one said the feet are bad, just the shape. Too simplistic even for G1 purposes. But if the buyer is happy more power to u :)