Minor/Repaint: Ultimate G1 RotF Mixmaster (advice needed)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Obliterator999, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Obliterator999

Obliterator999 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    A while ago I bought the exclusive RotF Mixmaster that's sporting his g1 colors and really liked it but I had a problem or 2 with it. I really didn't understand the choice of using orange for his clear parts for one. The original RotF Mixmaster had some fantastic purple windows that would fit the G1 recolor perfectly and adding the superior looking ciment barrel to it would really be the best of both worlds! So I got an original Mixmaster and swap the pieces and this is the result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a word of advice for anyone thinking of doing something similar. For some reason, the clear parts on the G1 Mixmaster are very easy to remove. The headlights took little effort to pry from their sockets because there is very little glue used. On the other hand, the original Mixmaster will take you monumental efforts to get the pieces out. There's a lot of glue here and I tried using force to get the headlights out but this damaged both the clear parts and the exterior side of the cab (nooks and scratches mostly). I resorted to dremel some of the plastic around the headlights on the inside of the cab to get them out and this worked. I should've done this right away, it would've avoided some damage to the pieces.

Anyways, I'm not quite done with this figure just yet. As you can see from the 2nd picture I purposely mistransformed Mixmaster's legs. I much prefer having him this way, he looks far more proportioned. The thing though is that the screws now become visible and I would very much like to hide them, but I'm not sure what material to use. There's also his face that needs some resculpting, 'cause that oddly smiling sad puppy face just doesn't work for a decepticon........ Should I get Sculpey for this? I'm just not very familiar with this stuff.

[​IMG]

BTW, for those who hates the green of the G1 RotF Mixmaster, pictures and videos online don't translate the color very well. It looks splendid in person, believe me! :) 

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

well,you can replace the new head with a stockade/gears head with some modding.
    also Aves apoxy sculpt and fixit sculpt is a good choice for your re-sculpting material.

3. Hype1

Hype1 D Witwicky biographer

very niiiiice!

4. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    I actually want that head for an accurate Mixmaster....

Maybe you could sculpt a face mask on that face? Also, I recommend doing the hand mod. Basically reverse the middle finger so it looks like a real hand. It fits really tight, but it fits.

5. Obliterator999

Ebay:
    Yes, that's what I'd like to do actually. I'm thinking of filling the seam that creates the 'smile' and add some details to make the mask. Then add a mean brow to get rid of the sad expression.

I did try this, but I didn't like having to force the flexible plastic backwards when transforming him back to alt mode. Ideally, I'd like to make an articulation at the mid-section of the finger so it could bent both ways allowing normal transformation and giving it an even more claw like appearance. But I'm getting ahead of myslef a tad here. xD

6. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    Want!
    Haha, he looks awesome!
    Nice little mods ;D

7. t.for.transform

t.for.transform Well-Known Member

That looks really bad ass. I like the purple and cement barrel with the Decepticon logo with the G1 color scheme.

8. f90happy

f90happy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    一个字“好”。

9. Skyclaw

Skyclaw 6 Types of Madness!

WOW! ive been thinking of doing this since i have both Mixys, but seeing it in person is mind blowing!!! i will have to try this when i get home and im having trouble myself on the head sculpt. You should have put the the silver wheel from the ROTF version as well since G1 Mixy has silver/chrome wheels. Awesome job man again i will try this later on today or this weekend... Someone suggested Stockade/Gears head which i think would be perfect, since the G1 has a face plate, but think the G1 cartoon doesnt, but i could be wrong about this...

10. Obliterator999

Ebay:
    I thought about this but one thing bothered me and that's the fact that the rotf Mixmaster's tires are brown! So I might just paint the gold of the G1 version to silver to keep the black tires.

11. Obliterator999

Ebay:
    Ouch, Apoxie ain't cheap. Any good alternative or know a good place to buy some cheap?

EDIT: $28 s/h to Canada on Aves website... D: