Tyranny and Peace

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by SPLIT LIP, Feb 8, 2014.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Thanks so much. Yeah, we wanted an older dog just for that reason. Even if she's only around for two or three more years given her history (obviously we hope for much longer) it's worth it for her to live what's left in comfort and happiness.

With that said, here's the second 'part' I forgot to add yesterday.

-------------------------------------------------

All I want to know is can it be done, Wheeljack.” Optimus said. “You can keep the how to yourself for now.”

“Well of course it can be done,” Wheeljack said, feeling out the rock face in the short tunnel they had dug so far. Bumblebee snickered to himself at the sight of Wheeljack moving his hands up and down the wall, like he was crawling vertically. “It just can’t be done fast,” He stepped away. “There’s definitely an electromagnetic field coming out. Signals. Power or communication lines, probably. They don’t run close enough to be for the recharge beds. We need to be very careful not to hit them.”

“If there are cables of any kind down here, ten’ll get ya twenty they’re routed to the guards upstairs.” Ironhide said. “I say we cut straight through ‘em. Cause ‘em a little grief when the lights go out.”

“No Ironhide,” Optimus said. “They’ll trace any damage or tampering down here.” Optimus rubbed his chin. He stored this information away for later, and refocused on the now. “Can you detect them enough to tell us where not to dig, at least?”

“Hard to say.” Wheeljack said. “I don’t think this ‘cell’ was where they were installed. But unless these wires were always here- unlikely -it means they were probably put in through another bunk and buried, which means-”

“Which means we’re close.” Optimus said. “What if you had access to these cables? Could you predict where others are? We might be able to use them to find more bunkers.”

“You’re asking a lot of me, I’m not really an electrical engineer.” Wheeljack shrugged. “I can build practical stuff like, I dunno, a catapult.”

“A catapult?” Bumblebee said. “That’s ‘practical?’”

“You know what I mean!” Wheeljack threw up his arms. “Point is there’s a reason my inventions used to blow up! Faulty wiring. Besides, shouldn’t you be asleep?”

“I wanted to see you guys break through to the other cell,” Bumblebee said, sitting on his bed with cables running into his body. “Besides, it’s not like they can tell if we’re sleeping.”

“How could we sleep?” Ironhide stood up. “I feel like I could run a mile!”

“You won’t come next shift. You really should rest.” Optimus said. Wheeljack had postulated that the Decepticon guards may be tracking power input from the recharge beds, which meant if they weren’t plugged in all night from digging the guards may notice it and investigate. So Optimus came up with a system. Each night, two of them would dig while the other two recharged by plugging into two beds. This not only made sure each bed was in use, but that when next night came and they switched, those from the night before had extra energy to dig in addition to their daily mining. Eventually, bit-by-bit, they'd make progress. They were paired up Optimus and Wheeljack, then Bumblebee and Ironhide, so the two smaller robots weren’t forced to dig together. It was working, and while the rock was harder here than in the mines, two nights had given way to a tunnel only a few alt-mode widths long when what little remaining sensors Wheeljack had in his hands detected the EMF signals.

“Alright, it’s weakest here,” Wheeljack pointed just left of the bottom center. “You should be good to dig.”

“Every few swings you feel around,” Optimus pulled out his pickaxe. “Then we’ll widen as we go.” Wheeljack nodded.

“This isn’t exactly the thrilling breakout I expected.” Bumblebee sighed, but quickly recomposed into a more positive demeanour. “Not that I’m not excited. I'm thrilled, just… I dunno, anxious.”

“I here ya, little buddy.” Ironhide said. Optimus knew they were likely feeling anxious from the overcharge, these stock bodies were meant to restrict and move at a slow pace. Their fuel limits were lower than their old bodies, but they had all become so accustomed that “normal” energy levels made them all a bit giddy. Optimus ignored it, and tried to keep digging exactly where Wheeljack said, when he heard mumbling. He quickly held his hand to stop any movement or noise in the room and listened. It was voices alright. Close, too. They were even-toned from what he could hear, and given the time it was likely more miners having a last chat before turning in. Optimus mined quicker, pausing only for direction from Wheeljack, but his thoughts raced unabated. Who were they? Did he know them? What were they like? How were they getting by? What were they talking about? Were they talking about him? Would they be happy to see a rebellion in action, or scared? Maybe they were afraid of Optimus, or hated him. Maybe they blamed him, or just didn’t want things to change? It was all so much, Optimus didn’t realise Wheeljack had told him to stop when he chipped away rock to reveal and exposed power line. Everyone froze, even Ironhide and Bumblebee who were leaning into the tunnel as far as their cables would let them. Optimus looked at it, seeing if it was damaged.

“Okay-” Wheeljack said. “That was close, now just-” He was shushed by Optimus. Optimus recognised this cable design. It was very familiar, because he saw it every night. It was the same type of cable that connected the light in their bunk to the doorway. They were above another bunk. Right above, on what was probably very thin rock, which was why it was only half a surprise when the floor cracked and Optimus’ leg fell through. He couldn’t help but make a noise when he body slammed into the floor. Wheeljack tried to help him, and yelled at Bumblebee and Ironhide to stay put. Optimus wasn’t hurt badly, but he was stuck. He was mostly worried about damaging the power line. Any interruption would be noticed, and if they broke it, they couldn’t fix it.

“I’m okay-” Optimus said. “But we need to be careful…” He tried to left himself as Wheeljack pulled his midsection, but then Optimus felt small vibrations around his legs. Then chipping. Then more rock fell away and the two of them landed in a pile of rocks. Optimus quickly composed himself and looked up into the room.

A robot stood before him. Like everyone most of his body was generic, but his head was familiar enough. He held a pickaxe, along with a slightly shorter robot next to him. She held two, likely one borrowed, and past them were two more robots on beds disengaging. Optimus leapt up, pushing past the two standing ones before they could speak, and hurried reattached the disengaging robots, as well as hooking them up to the other beds. He breathed a sigh, and hoped himself into assurance that such a brief interruption would not be noticed.

“Um, hi.” The first robot said. Optimus remembered his manners and began to introduce himself when the second robot respectfully cut him off.

“I know who you are, sir.” She said.

‘Sir.’ Optimus hadn’t heard that in ages.

“By Cybertron’s heart, it really is him.” One of the bed-bound robots was awestruck. The other said nothing, and wasn‘t quite as exuberant.

“I’m Override,” The second robot said, extending a hand. “You’ve met Dogfight, and those two are Glyph and Outback.”

“It’s a pleasure, everyone.” Optimus said.

“I’m here, too, by the way.” Wheeljack said. “Don’t let my cherub-like demeanour fool you, my feelings are easily hurt.”

“Sorry pal, we’re just a bit star-struck.” Dogfight said.

“We talk about you often,” Glyph said. “The way you escaped, it was amazing! We knew it was only a matter of time… well, some of us knew.”

“Thank you,” Optimus said. He noticed Outback, the quiet one, while not exactly unhappy, was not as excited as everyone else. He took it as a hint that there were in fact robots who did not yet believe in him. Optimus took it as a challenge. “Sadly there’s not much time for pleasantries. As you’ve guessed, we’re forming a revolt. Your group is the first we’ve made contact with. We have a system: Two teams of two, one digs at night, the other charges on all beds. They may track energy consumption. Teams switch back and fourth. We’re going to use this system until as many bunks are connected as possible. They’ve swallowed us whole, and we’re cutting our way out. But not before we’re strong. Spread the word in the tunnels, but above all stress this: do not act differently. Don’t speak outside the tunnels as usual, keep your heads down and move as we always do.” Optimus held up his fist in an empowering motion, and he glimpsed the mirror, still on his hand.

“And then what?” Outback said. His tone was a mix of apathy and genuine curiosity, as if he meant one but let slip the other.

“Then we coordinate.” Optimus said. “And make our move. One step at a time.” He got used to this speech, because he’d be saying it a lot. He looked at each one of these new Autobots, but lingered on Dogfight. Now he recognised him as the robot he walked behind each morning. The one he swore he once knew. Then he remembered what he just said about pleasantries. He saw Outback, distant and unsure in the corner. No, he’d get to know each one. That was important to him. He wouldn’t forget names, he wouldn’t ignore his friends and allies and brothers and sisters. They’d need to be more than an army to fight back now. They’d need to be a people.

2. Anodythe

Anodythe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The factions always lead to wall-building. If they are indeed one people then the sigils need to come off...no more Autobots, no more Decepticons...just Cybertronians.

3. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    This is just a short bit for now as I plan to continue tomorrow. The new dog has kind of been keeping me away from this, and the computer in general. I don't plan on this being a multi-year-long series. Not helped by the fact taht I'm just not a good typer. I want it to be managable to go over completely in a relatively short time. I have a story I want to tell, but I sometimes struggle with how to convey what's in my head. :p 

-----------------------------------------------

It’d been far too long since Starscream flew. It was almost odd. Amusing, even. He had this incredible gift, and yet spent most of his time walking. Thundercracker would fly into a rant if he knew just how little time Starscream spent as a jet these days, but the boring life of “peace time” meant lots of walking in buildings, or sitting at his boring old desk in what was jovially referred to among Decepticons as the FleetCom building. But at the same time, flying was something he couldn’t help associate with negative feelings. Memories of better days, worse days, different days. Flying was in many ways a release, but it reminded him more of chains. Air Commander. That’s what he was. But now he was “Fleet” Commander. What fleet? He thought often. Sure, on his computer systems there were little triangles or pictures representing ships or squadrons, but he couldn’t really see them. He wasn’t part of it. He didn’t lead Decepticon troops into battle, he directed droning neutrals around like a glorified crossing guard. For all Starscream knew, his job was to play an extremely boring virtual game.

But Megatron’s words were challenging things. What did he have to think about? How much time could he possibly need after a coma-like sabbatical like that? Starscream felt nervous. Or anxious. He couldn’t distinguish it, and his thoughts distracted him so much he almost overshot FleetCom. He slowed and looped around, rather recklessly dive-bombing before transforming into robot mode and landing outside the building. Crouched, he looked at the ground where he left footprints, and looked up to the few Decepticons around the building. They stared at him, and Starscream felt a bit embarrassed. On Earth he was a towering titan, a monster that could cause destruction wilfully with his merest of movements. But on Cybertron, his home, crashing into the ground and crouching so animalistic in public was not a normal sight. Not that anyone would say anything, but Starscream hurriedly walked inside.

“Welcome back, Commander.” A maroon Decepticon said as Starscream entered. Starscream tried to remember his name, but couldn’t be bothered. It was something short and stupid, he knew that much. Trap? Snap? Snare! Starscream remembered as he entered his private office. The space was huge, blue, and lit mostly by a massive layer of screens and holographic monitors along the back wall. They could retract to reveal a window, but Starscream never saw the point. Why would the caged bird want to be reminded that it was caged? Now Starscream was writing awful poetry in his head. He sat at his massive desk console and flipped the intercom.

“Get me Skywarp.” He said. The voice affirmed his command. Starscream didn’t know who it was, maybe it was Snare. Maybe someone he knew from the war. Maybe someone he didn’t even know, or a sophisticated intelligence. Starscream wasn’t around enough to know, and he ignored briefings or anything not-important he was told. Then again, he wasn’t around enough to know what important was.

“Ye boss?” Skywarp entered without permission, halting Starscream‘s self-reflection.

“’Ye boss?’” Starscream scowled.

“Sorry, I mean ‘Yes Sir.’” Skywarp found himself a seat, and scooted in the chair over to Starscream. Skywarp’s casualness was palpable, but Starscream found it oddly refreshing as much as it was annoying. “What can I do ya for?”

“You can stop using contractions and start using somewhat proper grammar, for one.” Starscream said. Ironically, Skywarp had adjusted to post-war quite well. He was still thuggish, anti-authority and irritable, but he was the only one who seemed truly content. Maybe he was just too dumb to feel the stresses of real life. Resentment now became the dominant notion in Starscream.

“I want you to go to this mine in Sector 88,” Starscream changed the middle monitor on the wall into a topographical map.

“Oh hey, that was, um-” Skywarp snapped his fingers repeatedly, as whatever information he sought disappeared from recent memory. “That’s the mine, it’s number, the one that had the revolt!” Skywarp leaned back. His voice and demeanour darkened. “Yeah, with Prime.”

“Yes,” Starscream made note of that. “You will meet up with Sector Overseer Thundercracker, he will give you instructions, one of which will be to then proceed to the adjacent mine.”

“Why?” Skywarp asked. “Shouldn’t I be in the mine with Optimus?”

“What you should do is follow orders.” Starscream said. “I’m a very tired ‘bot, Skywarp. And I’ve long since abandoned my personality quirks in favour of living in the real world, so please, do us all a favour and follow suit.”

“Whatever.” Skywarp stood up and opened a panel on his left forearm.

“Ah-ah,” Starscream said and pointed to the door. “Use the door, please.”

Skywarp sighed and walked out of the office. Starscream sat in his chair, his unfulfilled feelings rushing back. But he pushed them away. But they wouldn’t stay back, because it was the reality. The reality that he was, ultimately, unhappy. All his treachery and fighting Autobot and Decepticon alike had not given him the victory he wanted. Ultimately, Decepticon-controlled peace wasn’t at all as he envisioned. Not after Megatron accepted that stupid proposition. Starscream turned off all the lights and retracted the monitors, spinning in his chair to look outside. The view was unremarkable, the largest portion of the FleetCom building was just to the left, and to the right was mostly smaller buildings and roads, with gasses and emissions rose up from the streets. Starscream frowned, and pulled the monitors back down.

4. Anodythe

News Credits:
    These being are half of a whole and will never be satisfied until they come together. the chapter endings are subtle cliff-hangers, that only leave us wanting more.

5. The Librarian

The Librarian Well-Known Member

I really like the ideas you're playing with here. Having all the Autobots forced into ill-fitting new modes is an unpleasant fate but it leads on extremely well from the very idea that they can take on new modes at all. Similarly, I love the concept of a Megatron who wins the war and has absolutely no idea what to do next. I've always seen him as someone who started out with a plan but gradually got obsessed with beating Prime until that was all that mattered. I'm really looking forward to seeing where you take that.

One question - which you may have answered, I skimmed over everything between the chapters, and apologies if I missed this in the story itself - does Prime still have his mask?

(On a purely technical note, you've muddled your tenses in a few places, just on the odd word, so that may be something to keep an eye on when you're reading over what you've written)

6. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    To anyone still reading: I wanted to make this part longer, but I can't find time to sit down and type for too long. But I figured trying to focus on the quality of the writing instead of rushing was more important?

---------------------------------------

Optimus stood in the “war room” with Wheeljack and Ironhide at his sides, overlooking his assembled troops. The room itself was actually six bunks that had been completely dug out and connected into a single hub. Wires and conduits criss-crossed about, and the lights were sporadically placed wherever they could stay connected. It made it difficult, but not impossible, to see everyone’s face. The Autobot rebellion had grown so much that, like cells reproducing, their numbers were growing exponentially. Every three days Optimus held a meeting to gather the newest inductees and brief them on the plan. He had gone over the basics, while Wheeljack gave details about how to detect and avoid power lines. Ironhide also gave a tips on mining more efficiently, and how to trade off shifts more seamlessly. Optimus would then do his best to personally address as many as he could before they had to disperse and relieve the older diggers who were filling in. It was a tiresome and difficult system, avoiding detection. Luckily they had come across a few intellects, one of which was Highbrow, who managed a better system to allow free troops while maintaining the recharge beds. Now all that was left to instil the confidence in them Optimus needed. He waited for Wheeljack to finish explaining the technical aspects, and proceeded.

“Thank you, Wheeljack.” Optimus began. He knew he had to keep it short. “This is my first time speaking to you all since this darkness befell us. I cannot apologise enough for what I have brought upon you. But I also know that every single one of you once swore to me your lives in exchange for a hand to guide us all to peace when the war came. I do not ask you forgive me, I do not ask for you to even like me, just that you will stand by me and your brothers as I lead you once more. This time, I promise, I will see you free. I will see everyone free. If a mountain stand between me and that goal, then we will go through it. Now grab an axe, and help me bring it down.” There was an applause. Optimus could see on their faces, he could’ve said anything, and they would’ve applauded. Most were just happy to see him standing there, again. Optimus was humbled, but he knew it was one thing to make speeches, he had to act. And that’s why he didn’t return to mining, but instead took Ironhide aside to discuss the next phase.

“We’ve got about seventy-eight, all together.” Ironhide said. “We’d have more if we could somehow get to the bunks on the other side.”

“We will, trust me.” Optimus said. “I’ve been thinking of something. Something I know you’ll like.”

“lay it on me.” Ironhide said, slamming his fist into his palm. It was such a cliché gesture of his, but Optimus loved seeing it.

“We’re going to initiate phase two soon.”

“With only eighty robots?” Ironhide said. “We can’t possibly-”

“I’ve adjusted the plan.” Optimus said. “We’re doing this smart. Honestly, it was Bumblebee’s idea. They’ve got us outgunned and surrounded up there. When I escaped, I got a good look at what’s up there. Auto guns, sniper posts, guard turrets, and the barrier. That force shield is our goal.”

“I’m liking this and dreading it at the same time,” Ironhide said. “I think I’ve been too cooped-up in here. I’ve lost my belligerent charm and lust for impossible odds.”

“This is anything but impossible.” Optimus said. “We’re not going to break out of this mine, we’re going to take control of it.” Ironhide’s face went smooth as he had a eureka moment. Optimus nodded encouragingly.

“This,” Ironhide said, pointing his finger. “This is the Prime I know and love.”

“We’ll move fast and quiet. They’ll be expecting a loud escape, if any after my attempt. They won’t expect this. And even if they do, it’ll be too late.”

---------

Starscream entered Soundwave’s office. It was even more bizarre than when he had last stepped foot in it. Skywarp had ever-so-eloquently described it as “a brain that had been peeled inside out.” he was not incorrect. Soundwave himself was lurching around in the darkness, his awkward form had evidently spawned from these working conditions. His “desk” was covered in reports that had not been filed. Starscream looked at the stack and saw that they were all the same designation.

“This is the mine Prime is in.” Starscream said. “Why are you not checking these?”

“Because I know what they say.” Soundwave’s voice was deeper, and more harmonic. He sounded even more inhuman than usual. “The numbers are consistent. Too consistent.”

“How can they be too consistent?” Starscream asked. He said it mockingly, but as the pause grew he started to wonder the answer.

“He thinks he’s smarter than us.” Soundwave said. He stayed in the darkness. “There should’ve been a breaking-in period. But no, he’s smart now. He knows. I told him, and he learned.”

“You sound insane.” Starscream rolled his eyes as he errantly slid the reports around to read the details.

“Don’t you ever call me that.” Soundwave said, his voice very deep.

“This is why you called me?” Starscream crossed his arms. “I’m too busy to be-”

“Send someone.” Soundwave said. “Contact the mine, send someone there.”

“I never pegged you for the paranoid type.”

“It’s not paranoia, it’s preparation. Planning for eventualities. Send someone.”

“Fine, I’ll-” Starscream was interrupted by a noise in his ear. He turned his comm. on to receive. A moment later he dropped his hand and frowned.

“What is it?” Soundwave asked.

“Megatron just left his room.” Starscream said.

7. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Epic. Looking forward to more of Soundwave, Starscream and potentially Megatron, I just wonder who else other than Highbrow, Outback and co Prime has managed to dig up as well.

8. Anodythe

News Credits:
    Oh yes...keep the story coming. Every time the chapter ends you leave me hanging and I am always the next would resolve the Autobot's dilemma. Ironhide sounds like he needs to be back in action soon...I'd hate to be the first Con he meets.

9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Job hunting sure does kill the mood to write. However, semi-successful job hunting actually encourages!

------------------------------------------------------

The events that led up to now were a blur. Starscream only remembered the most overwhelming feeling of anxiety as he literally rocketed towards Megatron’s balcony. After he arrived, things became vague. He remembered Shockwave telling him where to go, but not the actual place. Starscream could only surmise that here, on top of the Decepticon capitol building, was where Megatron had gone. After all, it was Megatron who stood on the edge, the whole of Iacon below them, teetering. Judging by the trail of energon drops and the pain in Starscream’s head, again it was easy enough to deduce that Megatron had caused Starscream’s current bout of haziness. Dazed, injured, and with the Decepticon’s visionary-turned-warlord now standing on the literal brink of death, Starscream could only express his deepest and most impulsive feelings.

“Do it.” Starscream said. “Jump. Hell, step off. Do a flip for all I care. It’s not like you’d be changing anything.”

“Is that...” Megatron said. “What you want me to do?” He didn’t turn, he just spoke. “Is that what you think I’m going to do?”

“You’re such a self-entitled twit.” Starscream said, still speaking mostly on impulse. Whatever brain-to-mouth filter he may have had, it wasn't working. “Do you really think suicide will solve anything?”

Suicide?” Megatron looked down. “Is that what this is?” Megatron held his arms out. “Starscream, I’m not killing myself, I’m taking the last step.”

“Right to your death.”

“That’s just a side-effect. A symptom. The footnote to the main statement. I’m been sitting there so long, I’ve been trapped. I was inside myself, trapped in a body that served only a single purpose. We’re all machines.”

“Is that what you learned from Earth?” Starscream said. “I don’t believe it. Humbled by organics' deffinition of life.”

“I don’t just mean automatons.” Megatron looked to the sky. “We are all but parts of an organism. And organism of unspecified class. A species, each individual merely contributing to the singular goal of the collective: survival. That’s what we are, machines, means to an end. An infinite end.”

“Inaction has made you into a philosopher.” Starscream said. “Not a very good one, though. You’ve discovered nothing more profound than any- no, every Cybertronian philosopher before you.”

“No, Starscream.” Megatron said. “I don’t mean Cybertronians. I’m talking about us. The Decepticons. We as a people. A rebellion. An occupying force. Whatever you call us, we’re an organism all the same. And we’re dying. Because I’ve failed to see the one obstacle in our path.”

You?

“How astute.”

“You created us! You’re the entire reason the Decepticons formed. You’re the singular point, for better or worse, that we- they focus on. And you’ve all but disappeared. You’re as good as dead to them.”

“I’m not, though.” Megatron looked down again. “I persist, trapped in myself, staring into the void. I found that I am my greatest obstacle. We’ve reached the point I thought impossible. The Autobots were not just defeated, they were humiliated. They were obliterated, broken into their component parts. No poetry, no grand martyrdom, just dissolved, and Optimus Prime now sits in a dirt hole. History could not glorify that with even the most obscene embellishments. No, our enemy has been surgically removed. But here I am, a symbol of uprising against a system that no longer exists, commanding an army with no one to fight. The Decepticons can never truly be at peace until they are free. Free from devotion, fealty, and yes…” Megatron looked over his shoulder at Starscream. “…Hatred towards me. As long as I maintain as a symbol of war, my people will always look for guidance in their lives, when they should be guiding themselves.”

“But you don’t understand…” Starscream said. He wanted to tell Megatron about the threat of rebellion, but as the words built inside him, he ate them just as quick. A voice inside him, different from his own, but still himself. His older, past self. It spoke softly, but insistantly.

There will never be an opportunity like this again.

Starscream stood up, and walked to the edge next to Megatron. Now here they both were, their feet hanging hundred of stories high. Starscream placed his hand on Megatron’s back, and gently began to push.

---------

“The time has come.” Bumblebee said, with melodramatic flare. “You all know what you have to do.”

“Actually, I don’t.” Dogfight said. “I wasn’t paying attention at the beginning.”

“Wait!” Wheeljack said, jaunting up to the huddled group of Optimus, Ironhide, Override, Bumblebee and Dogfight. He was out of breath. “I want to be here for this. So wait, what are we doing?”

“Preparing.” Optimus said. “Just a recap of what you already know, though Bumblebee was just… being Bumblebee. This isn’t really the time for jokes. What we do now, we only have one chance. We cannot afford to miss our timing.”

“Everyone’s hard at work making final preparations.” Wheeljack threw his thumb over his shoulder. “Honestly I think most are just happy to not be digging anymore.”

“They’re not the only ones.” Ironhide said. “It’s like Christmas morning. Except a bigger, better Christmas is coming in just a few hours!”

“What’s Christmas?” Dogfight asked.

“Wheeljack, is the science team in position?” Optimus ignored the question.

“In the exact position, with hands hovering over the wires.” Wheeljack said. “Everyone’s got clamped knees and their disposal doors on lockdown. Eagerly awaiting your orders.”

“Then all that’s left is one last rally.” Optimus stood up. “Everyone to the war room.” Bumblebee literally bounded out of their bunk into the large dug-out section, with the rest following at their own top speeds. Optimus himself felt a trembling, either from being over-charged, or he was just that excited himself. But a great fear was present in the back of his mind, but until they were finished, it would have to stay there. He couldn’t have a single ounce of doubt in his mind, or project it through his voice or body. Everyone had to view him as an icon now, a monument.

“Assem-ble!” Ironhide bellowed to calm the rowdy crowd. Robots from the bunks, still hooked to their beds, were stretching the cables and peeking around corners just to see. Optimus took the stage.

“Autobots, this is it.” Optimus considered ending his speech right there, judging from the applause he got.

“It’s been what could only be described as an eternity, but now is the time. Before I do what must be done and ask you to follow me, once more, into the fire, I have to get something off my chest.” Optimus stood tall, collected himself, and let go. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I wasn’t the leader you needed me to be. But I will not ask for forgiveness, or sympathy. Only that you let me prove myself now, and let me take you on that first step towards deliverance I promised you those years ago when the war started. I will see us to freedom. I will see all of us to freedom. Now…” Optimus nodded to Wheeljack.

“Sponges, ready to disengage from the recharge slabs-” Wheeljack commanded all remaining Autobots still recharging for others under the nickname they’d given themselves. “Science teams… standby to cut the lines!” Optimus, along with everyone else, turned towards the clock above the bunker door. The one that everyday had singled when it was time to go out into the mines where, under feigned servitude, the Autobots plotted their rebellion. A rebellion that was just about to start. The silence was deafening. Nothing moved as everyone watched and waited for the buzz that would be their single to act.

Optimus’ spark skipped a beat.

It buzzed.

“Now!“

All at once the cables that powered the guardhouses were cut. Every Autobot disengaged for the recharge beds, and Optimus was front and center as every Autobot in the mine funnelled into the corridors. Outside the mine was still and quiet. Then a rumble reverberated out of the tunnels into the mine itself. It grew, until a wave of scraped paint and the glimmering metal beneath exited into the mine. Optimus led the charge.

“To the cranes!” He commanded. The troops ran and drove to the cranes, scaling them like a colony of furious ants up plant. Optimus was the first to dismount the crane and begin scaling the wall just as he had before, pickaxe in hand. There were no guards, no auto turrets, not laser grid. It had worked, but it wouldn’t last forever. So he hurried, and pressured his fellow Autobots to hurry as well. This time, inside of heading for the shield generators, he aimed for the guard towers that poked out of the rock wall like purple bubbles. Once he reached the bottom of one of these bubbles, he slammed his pickaxe into it. Others joined, and they quickly peeled away the floor and crawled in. They dug through the metal more, until they busted through the floor. Inside were half a dozen stunned guards.

“Subdue!” Optimus barked. The Autobots with him quickly engaged in melee with the guards, using fists and pickaxes to attack and disable the guards. They were knocked unconscious, or restrained. These were merely the guards who maintained the many functions, and were likely still sorting out the power loss Wheeljack’s science team caused.

“Where to now?” An Autobot asked, more were still pouring out of the floor. Optimus saw a door on the far wall.

“We move through. Room-to-room. Let’s roll!” Optimus ran to the door. Before he could open it, it opened itself, and tow large, armed guards were standing there. With their proximity so close, the one guard rifle-butted Optimus. He fell back, but recovered enough to roll to one knee.

“Kill them!” The other guard shouted. The two readied their guns to fire at the Autobots, who were defenceless without firepower of their own. Optimus didn’t hesitate, and grabbed his pickaxe and swung. The sharp end hit the first guard’s gun, and pulled it out of his hands, while Optimus himself body-slammed the other in the same motion. The first guard swung a right hook, but Optimus was smaller and faster, and pulled his axe back up, lodging the blunt end into the guard’s masked face. He stumbled back, trying to pull it free, while guard number two wrapped his arms around Optimus and began to squeeze. Optimus kicked his legs up, then slammed his heels down on the guard’s knees, shattering them. The guard screamed, but Optimus didn’t waste a moment swinging his leg’s forward, and with the second guard still holding on, the two toppled right into the first guard. The pickaxe still in his face, the second guard fell onto his cohort, and the opposite end of the axe now embedded in his head. Without missing a beat Optimus slipped free of the guard’s grasp, leapt up to grab the handle of his axe, and positioning himself between them, he put a foot on each of their shoulders as he pulled the axe free, and pulling their heads clean off. Sparking and stuttering, Optimus discarded the axe as the guards bodies’ fell over. The other Autobots merely stood, stunned, before slowly breaking out into applause. Invigorated, they all charged passed Optimus into the halls. Optimus took only a second longer before he joined them. He hadn’t taken a life in so long, he’d forgotten how good he was at it. This made him feel ill, but he had to keep going. Room by room, guardhouse by guardhouse, the Decepticons were dispatched or captured by the Autobots, until finally troops Optimus sent in the opposite direction had come all the way around to meet back up in the circular hall.

“Where to now, bigbot?” Bumblebee and Ironhide ran up to Optimus.

“The generators!” Optimus ordered. “Quickly, before reinforcements arrive!” And so it was done, everyone split into teams under Optimus’ direction and headed for the generators that powered the shield enclosing the mine. With these areas under Autobot control, they could turn the mine into a fortress. Optimus took a team to the generator he had disabled on his first escape attempt. Their were only two guards scrambling to fortify the room, but with Ironhide’s help, their barricade was broken, and the Autobot quickly subdued them.

“We need someone who can work these shield controls.” Optimus said.

“I’m here, Prime.” Highbrow, one of the intellects, pushed forward. Highbrow took a moment to look at the controls. “They’ve killed the shield.”

“I know,” Optimus said. “I need it up.”

“You don’t understand,” Highbrow’s tone was noticeably irate. “They’ve hit some kind of kill switch to lock out any users.”

“Then we’ll just squeeze the passwords or whatever out of ‘em.” Ironhide intimidated one of the restrained guards.

“No,” Highbrow began operating the controls. “They’ve basically flat lined the system. I need to reboot the magnetic field generators before I can get it-”

“We have incoming!” Dogfight shouted from the window. Optimus ran over to see a drop ship heading straight for the mine’s throat.

“There must be some emergency beacon-” Highbrow said. “On it’s own dedicated power source.”

“Get the shields up!” Optimus said. Highbrow finished pushing buttons and a violent rumbling from the generator gave way to a fading hum as it powered down. The hum then began to grow as the generators restarted, and light appeared above the window as the charge grew.

“That ship’s getting close.” Dogfight said, panic creeping into his voice.

“Autobots, fan out and look for any weapons you can.” Optimus said to the troops behind him. “Check the guard rooms, look for an armoury, anything-” Optimus turned back. “Highbrow, the shields-”

“They’re charging.” He said. “There’s nothing we can do but wait. They’re come on automatically in a few minutes. It’s out of my hands.”

“We don’t have minutes!” Dogfight pointed out the window. Two small dots broke off of the ship and headed straight for them.

“Flyers incoming!” He said.

“The shields-!” Optimus said.

“Halfway-” Highbrow said. “They’ll stop the drop ship, but…” Optimus knew he had no time. He walked up to the console and pulled off a flat section of the surface next to the controls, and leaned it against the console, then took a pickaxe from a fellow Autobot and threw it through the window, shattering it outwards. Optimus ran to the back of the room as everyone gave him space, opened the door, and ran to the very back of the hall. He transformed into his truck mode and spun his wheels until he took off at near top speed, accelerating up the panel like a ramp and right out the window. The dots were now visible as jets, one a familiar blue, the other black and purple. They approached fats, and Optimus returned to robot mode, pulled out his own pickaxe, and locked it to the blue jet just as it swooped by.

“Not again!” Thundercracker screamed as the pickaxe hooked into his fuselage. Optimus held on tight as Thundercracker transformed into robot mode to try and fight back.

“Descend, Thundercracker!” Optimus ordered. “Before I ground you permanently!” A flash of light blinked behind Optimus as he grappled with the Decepticon, and when he turned around, he saw Skywarp waving at him before punching Optimus off. Optimus was in freefall as the two Decepticons hovered above.

“Oh, this’ll be fun!’ Skywarp said, disappearing before Thundercracker.

“No, you idiot! Just let him fall!” Thundercracker said. But it was too late, Skywarp had teleported to just below Optimus, and round-house kicked him as the Autobot fell. Then as Optimus tumbled away, Skywarp appeared again to hit him once more. Then again, until finally Optimus knew his pattern, and this time he had a punch ready for Skywarp. Knocking the teleported out, Optimus grabbed onto his back and pulled Skywarp’s wings, bending and warping them until he couldn’t control his flight. Panicking for his own safety, Skywarp teleported back up, into the control room where the other Autobots were. He was angry, now, and wasted no time beating up Optimus. The other Autobots tried to help, but any time they tried to attack Skywarp, he teleported away, taking pot-shots every time.

“Clear out!” Ironhide yelled as Skywarp kicked away the smaller Autobots. Optimus leapt onto his back, trying to restrain him, but Skywarp just teleported free, until he was teleporting so often and quickly, beating up on Optimus so fats the Autobot leader couldn’t even predict where he’d be. Ironhide watched his friend and leader be mercilessly abused but the constantly phasing Skywarp, until he had seen enough. Ironhide had an idea, grabbed the ceiling panels, and pulled them down. Inside was a heavy support beam that ran straight towards where they were fighting. Ironhide pulled it down, and the ceiling collapsed on both Optimus and Skywarp. Dust and debris filled the room as the Autobots came back in to see what happened.

“You crushed Optimus!” Dogfight said.

“I didn’t crush anyone.” Ironhide said, and pointed to the center of the room. There stood Skywarp who, due to teleporting non-stop, had phased into the falling ceiling debris, and was now full of wires and beams that had fallen down and stuck in his body.

“Woah.” Bumblebee rounded the corner to see. He and Dogfight, along with other Autobots, moved in. Optimus pulled himself from the wreckage. He looked at Skywarp, then Ironhide.

“Good thinking, old friend.” Optimus said, looking at the fused Skywarp.

“Is he… dead?” Bumblebee asked. Optimus looked at Skywarp’s head. The Decepticon’s eyes were dim, but still lit.

“No,” Optimus said, looking at Skywarp, he couldn‘t help but be amused.

“Don’t think you’ve won.” Thundercracker said from the shattered window. The Autobots immediately stood firm, but Thundercracker was actually drifting away. “I’ll be back, and when I am, I’ll have enough firepower to blow this mine into orbit.” Thundercracker turned and rocketed away.

“Run, coward!” Ironhide shouted, the other Autobots joining in on a victory taunt. But not Optimus. He was too busy noticing the control consol rebooting. He realised too late, and shouted out the window.

“Thundercracker, wait!” Optimus screamed, but it was too late. The shield came on right as Thundercracker was retreating to the drop ship, and the barrier sliced him in half. Optimus looked down, his hands balled into fists. He felt a hand on his shoulder, and he relaxed.

“We won, Prime.” Ironhide said. Optimus turned to see all the Autobots who had fought with him to get this far. Optimus was overcome with joy, but knew better than to celebrate too soon.

“Autobots, regroup and reconnoitre. We’ve won this battle, but this is far from over.”

10. Anodythe

News Credits:
    Aw dang...of all the Cons to off-line...TC occasionally questioned the Decepticon view of things. Megs is taking the cowards way out. I think that all of a sudden he realizes that he has become what he fought so hard against in the beginning. He just can't bring himself to admit it publicly.

11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's not that Megatron wants to die, but he feels he has no choice. I came up with the vast majority of this, yeesh, probably two years ago now, to sort of fit with what IDW was telling, but a different direction than what AHM had taken. While I tried not to sponge too much off of IDW when it came to anything besides backstory, Megatron has essentially come to the same conclusion Optimus did in DoOP. But Megatron's answer to a problem will always be with extremes. The war started, afterall, because he saw violence and death as suitable responses to an obstacle.

12. WillyWally

WillyWally Member

Is this gonna end up like 1984 where the good guys fail miserably and I fall into a deep state of depression?

13. Anodythe

News Credits:
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

14. WillyWally

WillyWally Member

:confused: 

15. Anodythe

News Credits:
    Don't fall into a depression...think happy thoughts. All the Autobots survive, the Decepticons are really sorry and apologize and Megatron goes off to a retreat with Dr Phil. Wellllllllllllllllllllllll...that's how I hope it ends. :) 

16. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    tfw thread is bumped with no update.

Feels bad, man.