Two rational approaches to scale...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TFTheoretician, Jun 27, 2014.

1. TFTheoretician

TFTheoretician Well-Known Member

I came to think about this when contributing to the Generations wishlist thread... I don´t mind that there are various size classes, but I just find the present distribution of various characters into various classes a bit random.

Now, that Swerve, other mini cars and the Insecticons goes into Legends is just fine, and that Classics Optimus and Jetfire are voyagers is fine, too. These characters are normally depicted as smaller and larger than the average Transformer, respectively. But Springer and Blitzwing? I don´t perceive them as being Optimus-tall, the only triple-changer that is usually depicted as bigger than usual is Broadside, who´s official update is yet to be seen... Especially for Generations Blitzwing, I find it weird that he towers over Classics Octane and Astrotrain.

So I have two ideas for size class consistency, the first is just to stick to size depictions for characters in their robot modes in the cartoons and comics, let the average character be deluxe-sized and let the ones being shorter and taller than average get legends- and voyager-sized toys, respectively. Springer is Deluxe-sized, and Powerglide is Legends-sized (the latter is coming up, after all).

The second ideas is to have a number of sub-lines for various kinds of vehicles, where the size classes for the toys is defined by the size of their vehicle modes and not from how their characters have been depicted in the cartoon (which in turn was based on the size differences between the original toys, at least for the original Autobots). In other words, Beachcomber would be really small (a beach buggy), Jazz and Cliffjumper would be equally sized (both are Porsches) and Huffer on par with Optimus size-wise (trucks). Inferno might be bigger than both of them (fire truck).

What do you think?

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    "Scale" is a concept that I think collectors really have to resolve quickly when collecting, as the Alternators/Binaltech line is the only one officially scaled. Everything else is just approximately relative to each other. This is especially in light of the fact that certain robots are larger/smaller in robot mode than in alt mode, thus making mass shifting in fiction necessary to a degree.

In short, as long as it's not terribly "off," I'm not bothered a whole lot.

3. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

My shelf not yours.

That's as basic as it can get.

4. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    No, no, no! I display all my jet formers in alt-mode. Powerglide is Ultra-sized. :D 

5. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Eh, most of the Autobot deluxe cars look good together, most of the deluxe Decepticon jets look good together, Megatron and Optimus are Voyagers - what more can I ask for? Yeah you have figures like Astrotrain and Octane that are now a bit small compared to Springer and Sandstorm but it's all good, maybe we'll see some updates in the future.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    No and No. Trying to get proper scale in Transformers is a vain pursuit and should be abandoned.

Enjoy and appreciate each figure for what it is.

7. Jazz342

Jazz342 Well-Known Member

My take on scale: it will always be off somehow, so if you are truly bothered, by it, collect marvel legends instead of TFs

8. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call the Alts/BTs perfectly scaled either. Atleast not in robot mode. Grimlock, Frumble, and both Ravages kinda throw a wrench in that.

9. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

^

It is...

Within it's own universe.

10. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Still doesn't mean Grimmy shrinking to Prowl's size, and Frumble and Ravage going from cassettes to full sized bots wasn't silly as hell. They were just lousy character choices for the Alt/BT line.

BW Ravage is a pass I guess since if I recall right he was in cassette mode inside the Corvette body's tape deck controlling it.

11. TFTheoretician

TFTheoretician Well-Known Member

I guess the question is, was is more important? That characters robot modes are as big in relation to each other as the cartoon originally depicted them (i.e. Brawn is always small. Prowl is medium and Grimlock is big) or that they reflect the respektive sizes of their alt-modes? Personally, I welcome Voyager Cloud Brawn, I always imagined him being a big, beefy guy rather than a grumpy dwarf...