Two New IDW Ongoing Series in Jan - MTMTE and RID

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tony_Bacala, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Ore-13 I'll agree with. The others I wouldn't really say they were loose ends. Although, you're right, seeing those things revisted would be interesting.

Good point. But Starscream wouldn't be Starscream if he wasn't planning an overthrow.

Ok, I absolutely agree with you there. Jazz should've stepped up. But I understand why that happened. Bumblebee is popular, they threw him up front. Then again, I do like what they've done with Jazz and Prowl. Looking forward to the next issue specifically because of those two characters.

That's a damn good question too. While that story in Coda was amazing and I loved it, it didn't really go anywhere. To be fair, I think Prowl just wanted Kup to be a focus of attention and hope for the Autobots.

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So IDW makes this big effort to combine all their books and renumber them so Prime dying is #125....and they spin it into TWO books now. What was the point of combining them? Unless they go #126 RID #127 MTMTE #128 RID..etc. No wonder there are so many threads of which order to read the comics in. It makes no damn sense.

I'll probably read the first few issues of both but I'll probably drop them if they are just running around space & not going back to Earth. Never really like comics set in space. No grouding in reality.

3. khopson

khopson Well-Known Member

If you promote a book right, you can keep readers interested. Like I said, each of these separate books are basically just story arcs within a continuous series. I see stuff all of the time in Previews by other publishers hyping up forthcoming story arcs. Marvel and DC do a great job of this. Why can't IDW do the same? Do they really have to kill off every book and create a new title for continuity purposes? I realize DC and Marvel have titles that have been around for 70 years and will always have a following, but as big as the franchise is, Transformers should be able to muster a strong enough following to validate an ongoing series. Sales for the current series have been pretty consistent for a while now, and there are titles (other publishers) with lower sales than Transformers that have had an ongoing series for years. I don't doubt that these new books create a short-term spark, but as I mentioned, it all comes down to marketing.

4. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm

5. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I tell you, I'm all for new directions, but the very idea of Bumblebee as a leader is stupid and makes my interest lower... I'm tired of the movie influencing other continuities. Prowl as leader makes sense, Jazz ok. Ironhide ok. Magnus Ok. Hell even Cliffjumper... ok. But all the frontlining for Bumblebee is FUCKING LAME. Next thing you know, Shipwreck is going to be leading the GI Joe squad.

My interest in these comics is to NOT be reading something like the movies, and then the designs and ideals are totally the movie verse. Slightly interested in the Rodimus 'team' series, Bumblebee leading Cybertron.... Not at all. Mainly because some former Decepticon, hell maybe even a bot would come along and say, you know what? I can kick your ass. I'll be the new leader.

Personally, I'm still pissed at the idea the Bots would have a popularity contest to pick a leader.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    DC just relaunched ALL their books at #1 just one month ago. Marvel has relaunched pretty much every series they own at some point or other. Uncanny X-Men was just relaunched. Spider-man has been relaunched numerous times. Same with Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, everything. There are now zero comics that have been continuing for 70 years without relaunches.

They are all still around, but when sales start to slump, you will get a relaunch. And it doesn't matter how you promote a book; reader drop off is inevitable.

7. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    giving it some more though this DOES feel like an attempt to bring Focus to the comics, which have been an utter Mess since AHM ended. Even the current Choas story is just that.....utter chaos, the every other issue, the super dark art, the booms and bangs serving now purpose, and through all of it Galvatrons trying to SAVE the universe and Primes just saying "ERR...Galvatron Bad!" when Galvatron tries to talk to him. And when Galvatron says "F it all I'll save the universe without you".... Prime sayis "Lets talk about this" ?!?!? Like 2 issues you refused to do just that!!!!

Issue 22 & 23 where such a hit because they cut through all this crap we've had since AHM #12. I really hope this rebranding brings it into focus, but seriously, the whole Bumblebee things needs to end. Unless he gets the Matrix and Becomes Beedmus Prime.

8. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Rogers and Roche have produced some of the best TF stories EVER by this point. Nothing Roberts has written has been less than wonderful. Their book should be the best TF story of next year, easy.

Can't wait.

And I've heard very good things about what Barber did to fix the Movie books, so I'm all in.

-ZacWilliam, these should be awesome books. like I said, can't wait. ;) 

9. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    IDW Run in a nutshell (just my opinion, no one get too butthurt):

- Start strong, Furmanverse starts to get fleshed out.
    - Confuse sequence of events thoroughly through Spotlight series and other mini-series.
    - Furmanverse becomes a mess with no direction.
    - AHM relaunch. Ok, awesome.
    - Ongoing happens. Mess with no direction from the beginning.
    - Lead up to Chaos, esp. 22/23 as previously mentioned, are awesome.
    - Chaos (so far): mess with no (obvious) direction.
    - RiD/MTMtE relaunch. Wait and see. Hope for the best.

10. Optimus8404

Optimus8404 Autobot Commander. RIP Nov 2107

Ebay:
    No Optimus Prime= EPIC FAIL! Nice work IDW. Keep ruining the comic continuity.

11. khopson

Yeah, but many of those titles got into the hundreds before ever being relaunched. And of course reader drop-off is inevitable. It happens with every title. Marketing isn't always going to keep sales at lofty levels, but it's a key part of the business model/long-term success. Relaunching stuff every other year is just what you said it is - it's a cheap, short-term pop. All of the endless titles, relaunch/reboots, etc., just makes for chaos and confusion. It gets old and turns me off.

12. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If reviews are good for the first arc of each title, I'll pick them up in trades; singles are still way too expensive. Although, I'm still of their opinion that IDW has screwed up their continuity so much that they need to give up, do a hard reboot and start from scratch.

13. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    That WFC styled image has BBumblebee using his walking stick from recent issues... hmmmm...

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    With a moan like Satan's Porsche revving, a misshapen, stump of an arm breaks through the trampled, forgotten soil... Unnatural and swollen, the non-euclidean angles speaking of madness and things that should not be, it claws through the fetid earth, and soon, the spectre of Dreamwave prowls again! And from the howl, as an optical illusion comes into focus, as an overdetailed beast emerges from inky shadow, comes a single, chilling phrase...

"VaarRRrrIaAAnNNTTTttT CoVERrRRSsS..."

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong, it turns me off, too. Completely. But it's still a current reality. Yeah, those other comics lasted into the hundreds before getting relaunched, but that was a completely different market. That was the same market where Marvel Transformers lasted until #80. It's not the 1980s or early 1990s anymore. The overall comics readership is a tiny sliver of what it was then. At the time the Marvel TF series was launched, anything that dipped below 100,000 copies was considered a complete failure and canceled. Now, 100,000 is considered a wild success. Almost nothing ever reaches that number anymore. Most things don't even reach half that. And IDW doesn't have nearly the readership of Marvel or DC, so they, more than anyone, feel the need to rely on these kinds of stunts. A new #1 potentially offers a jumping on point for lapsed readers. I don't like it, but I understand it.

16. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Forget past restarts. Forget past bad writters. None of that matters.

These are new and exciting directions for the TF story AND MORE, These are absolutely GREAT creative teams. They are the best we could hope for. The books will be great. I have no doubt.

And thats the important thing.

Can't wait to read them. :) 

17. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    i do...and i don't think they're crap, nor even very movieesque... if anything, they're taking more cues from the Classics, WFC and other toy lines more so than anything else...

QFMFT!!!

18. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :thumb  I concur.

19. khopson

Yeah, that was my point. It is a reality, and what you're saying has merit, but it just irritates the hell out of me. It does to a lot of people, so I'm surprised it has the positive effect it does. You're right that the market is different now, but a title like Hellblazer (DC/Vertigo) is at 280+ issues now. In fact, I think I read that it's the longest running title now (without being renumbered) after the reboot. I realize DC can be more patient with a series like this because the company has bigger titles to sustain its overall sales, but even with its following, Hellblazer still does less sales than Transformers. It's just unfortunate IDW can't sustain TF as an ongoing series. I think part of it has to do with creative teams as well. There have been some spectacular Marvel and DC runs where quality creative teams worked long-term on titles. Readers love good stories (that's what it's all about), so it created a nice stream of sales on certain titles for a lengthy period of time. I'm sure it's a product of the current business environment, but there are too many short-term changes in creative teams nowadays. It breaks up flow, continuity, etc. Anyway, enough of this. I've voiced my opinion. I understand the business side of it, and I'll check out these new TF titles, but I'm not sure they'll hold my interest for long.

20. khopson

I hear ya, but publishers (all of them) love to throw good names at titles when they start out. The majority of the time, they'll last x number of issues and then you'll get a new team. Guess we'll see.