Tv Tropes that you hate

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by K2flygurl, Nov 15, 2019.

1. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    This discussion is a trope.

2. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably not a trope but when a character the main character hates turns out to be a bad guy. (I mean, they're getting better about that but still...)

jD001

3. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    You mean like when they went ahead and turned Dinkleberg evil in The Fairly OddParents, despite the fact that the whole point of the joke was that he wasn’t evil but Timmy’s Dad hated him?

4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Unless I’m mistaking one episode for another, I believe the episode you’re referring to actually ends with Dinkleberg saying his evil villain plot was just an act to make Timmy’s Dad happy.

• Like Like x 3
  5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Without knowing the production history of Fairly Oddparents, that strikes me of a case of the writing team changing, and the new guys not being fully aware of the joke until its too late.

Because that's not something a writer familiar with his/her own work would do willingly, unless the whole thing was a different joke that just fell utterly flat.

Ooh, diabolical.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Refusing to let actor's go who character has died or reusing the same actor for multiple characters over multiple seasons till it just gets stupid. (Wells in the Flash)
    Let him go and only bring him back once or twice a season as Thawne. He was great in season 1 but each season after has gotten sillier and sillier.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Eric

Eric Dreadnought of Floof

News Credits:
    That...actually would explain a few things. And here I thought Michael Bay was solely responsible for that schlock.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Rusty24

That also bugged me in The Flash. Tom Cavanaugh is by far the best actor on the show, and they ended up in a damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation. If you write him out of the show permanently, you lose your best actor on the show. If you keep bringing him back, it just lowers the stakes big time because there are a million versions of Wells, and they all somehow spend at least one year on the CW universe’s Earth. This also led to the Flash’s formula getting stale very quickly among a lot of other repetitive plot points.

9. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily hate this one, but I've seen it enough to get annoyed by it: If you have a robot character, that means it must be an expert in fixing and hacking all kinds of machinery because it's a machine. Wouldn't that be like the equivalent of humans automatically being doctors just because they're humans which means they know everything about the organic bodies?

Another nitpick: Why should robots need to have the function of changing the colors of their eyes to reflect being good or evil? Is this like a standard procedure every robot manufacturer needs to instal in case they needed to know if their creations were good or bad?

10. mx-01 archon

News Credits:

That's mostly for the benefit of the audience, whether it makes sense in the fiction or not.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

It's not widely publicised, but robot eyes are exclusively manufactured from the same stuff as mood rings.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The trope I loathe the most about anime: women slapsticking or flat out beating on men and it being no big deal as if were completely acceptable behavior. But the instant a man even farts in a woman's general direction, ALL fucking hell breaks loose. I HATE that fucking double-standard :mad: 

• Like Like x 2
  13. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Let there be equality.

• Like Like x 2
  14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

My current pet peeve is fantasy anime and manga having obvious RPG tropes in it, even when it's not directly based on a game or set in one. I don't mean standard fantasy cliches that RPGs happen to use, I mean stuff like referring to any dangerous labyrinth as a "dungeon" and having an obvious character class system in place. Worse yet if actual game mechanics (levels, XP, etc) make it into the story. It's seriously distracting and an enormous blow to the story immersion.

15. Rusty24

While we’re on the subject of anime, one thing I’ve noticed after watching quite a few anime pilot episodes recently is that they are really heavy on exposition. A lot of them do have fairly complicated premises that need to be explained, but it really doesn’t feel all that natural a lot of the time either because they have to spend most of the episode telling and not showing.

16. mx-01 archon

News Credits:

If I had to hazard a guess, it may be because the Japanese haven't had a large amount of exposure to "traditional" Western Fantasy. There's a dearth of straight fantasy-based anime/manga series in general.

The only true "high fantasy" series I can actually think of is Record of Lodoss War, which was actually based off the writers' pen-and-paper RPG campaigns. Maybe Twelve Kingdoms, but I've never seen that, so I don't really know if that holds to traditional fantasy tropes or not. Every other "fantasy" series I can think of either puts a sci-fi twist on things (Scrapped Princess or Utawarerumono come to mind), or are heavily RPG derivative and play more loose and "meta" with the setting.

Honestly, the only Japanese stories that I can think of off the top of my head that adhere closely to classic fantasy archetypes on the regular are the RPG narratives, so it probably comes down to the fact that that's their only frame of reference.

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Goblin Slayer can get pretty serious and go into fantasy archetypes

18. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    There seems to be an exception there to Dark Fantasy for some reason. Berserk also exists. Maybe because that bleakness isn't such a departure from traditional Samurai tales, so there's a more receptive attitude towards that sort of thing.

Pure High Fantasy seems to be a near dead-zone in Japanese fiction.

19. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Interestingly enough, I was actually thinking about this the other day. I was watching RedLetterMedia's review on Terminator: Genesys, and Mike mentioned that he finds it weird how the Terminators are as knowledgeable as Data, since they're just killing machines and weren't programmed to fix and build stuff (the Terminator even builds a time-machine in that movie).

I actually have a defense for this trope. Human brains are very forgetful, and tend to only remember things that are reinforced. On the other hand, computers can retain knowledge perfectly after being exposed to it only once. If a human observed someone hacking a computer (assuming they had no hacking skills), they probably wouldn't remember any of those specific commands. On the other hand, a robot could retain that information. Like how the movieverse Autobots learned English in a matter of seconds by scanning the Internet. It would take a human months or years to learn an entire language, but robots can just download it.

It's actually probable a millennia-old Transformer would have a vast knowledge of stuff they've learned during the course of its existence, far exceeding any given human's skill set. Honestly, I find it a bit unrealistic that Arcee didn't know how to build an engine. It's a fairly simple piece of machinery in comparison to other pieces of their biology. I find it unlikely that she never observed Ratchet fixing an engine in her thousands of years of existence. And even if she didn't, couldn't she just download the blueprints for an engine like how the Autobots downloaded the English language? Or skim though a book on the subject, absorbing the info? For an ancient robot, building an engine should be more comparable to putting on a band-aid than 'building a small intestine' (something that human's can't do).

Not to mention that computers can easily preform complex calculations in a matter of seconds, and perfectly retain all that data. In a world where building a time machine is possible, I don't find it too outlandish that a sentient Terminator was able to deduce how to build one. It's safe to assume Sarah Connor removed his learning restriction, like in T2. He had a decade to learn every existing theory on the subject and then make endless calculations and tests of his own. I mean, that's likely how Skynet built a time machine in the first place. If they can do it, I don't see why another advance sentient learning machine couldn't.

20. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    The thing is that Transformers, compared to other cinematic robots, are portrayed as far more humanlike. They have free will and choice. Prime Arcee strikes me as the type of gal who wouldn't have even tried to commit vehicle manufacture/repair to memory, if it were presented to her.

They've never really been portrayed as the all-consuming learning-AI style robots, except for a select few like maybe Shockwave. Even then, he has his preferences and would probably ignore anything related to the social sciences or whatnot.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1