Tv Tropes that you hate

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by K2flygurl, Nov 15, 2019.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that if this is your opinion, then you've been over-exposed to the crowd that uses the site for its meme-iness, or people that don't understand the purpose of the site and try to use it to support bad arguments. That's obnoxious.

But the site's an amazing resource for production trivia, and often a great jumping off point for literary analysis. If ever there's a part in a story or movie you didn't quite understand, then it can help point you in the right direction (or at least reassure you that everybody else is just as mystified as you). Or maybe it helps you remember a movie that you've long since forgotten, but remember a specific moment vividly.

If you have a burgeoning interest in writing, then it offers great examples for how to use complex literary devices, or to at least cross-check if your "totally original" idea has been used before, or maybe even accidentally cribbed from some other work subconsciously.

The site, just as the tropes it describes, is a tool. Anything beyond that comes down to how well or how poorly that tool is used.

• Like Like x 7
  2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Former badguy joins the heroes, only to betray them at a later late.

• Like Like x 2
  3. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    That act, in and of itself, I have no serious qualms with. How often they get away with it, on the other hand, because the heroes are too stupid and naive to put proper safeguards in place, is utterly moronic. I'll cringe at that every single time.

Sometimes justified in an "I knew he'd do that" moment, when the betrayal presents a solution to some other ends. But even in those instances, there's frequently too much leeway given to make the results seem entirely worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    TV Tropes in general is cancer due to the losers that run it, support "All-the-tropes" instead. The staff of TV Tropes are also incredibly biased and partisan, so they aren't really capable of being objective.

Tropes are tools, nothing more. Wasting time hating a tool is time wasted.

5. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    That seems a bit much. I understand that the politics of money are involved and that leads to some polarizing action behind the scenes, but for general users, the popularity of TVTropes and thus the dedication and activeness of its userbase outweighs its flaws. The vast majority of its users are not contributors, and will probably not even notice the effects without some serious digging. Egregious omissions are already covered by their well-advertised editorial policy, so that the site doesn't become cluttered by political bickering.

It's kind of hard to criticize, given we're all active users of this site, with similar policies in place.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:

I agree. It’s like reading a TF Wiki write up of an issue of IDW or an episode or something, I feel like TV Tropes can be a great supplement.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Used to be. Then three or four years ago there was a change in management or something, and it went to hell.

I think that the following is a perfect example of how devoid of rhyme or reason the site is.

1573431650756.png

Listed under 'Hilarious in Hindsight' for the movie Heathers. How the heck is there any correlation between these two things?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's everrrryyyyyyybbbbboooooddddyyyyy who uses it. It's a mecca for people with zero reasoning ability and poor debating skills, where they can circle jerk each other into feeling more intelligent than they are.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Tvtropes is good for fun when you're trying to write a character hitting as many tropes in a manner as much in-your-face and cheesy as it is humanly possible. For lulz.

Also, both tropes wiki are silly. Passive-agressive interwebz war over who's right.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

For me the site is a great source of information on production and behind the scenes stuff in relation to the subject I look for. I made it a habit to visit the YMMV and Trivia pages after watching movies to see what I missed.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I mainly use it to look up trivia during work of television episodes I watched the night before.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    One trope that's starting to tick me off is spaceships being parked/flown underwater (and still being able to function).

In terms of being airtight, spaceships should theoretically be able to withstand water. But even this isn't always true, because water pressure would affect the craft differently than space would. For instance, the USS Enterprise's nacelles would likely snap off (or at least be damaged) if the ship tried to move underwater, because of the water pressure and resistance. Water is extremely heavy. Space doesn't have that problem because it's empty.

On top of that, water flooding into a spaceship's engines would cause all sorts of damage. And water erodes, space doesn't. If you had a spaceship parked underwater for a significant amount of time, it would erode and rust (compromising the structural integrity of the hull, as well as functional parts like engines).

It was probably neat the first time this visual was done, but I feel like it's becoming really overused in sci-fi, and the implication that space functions the same as water is downright laughable.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:

• Like Like x 3
  14. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy The Long Dead Former Ruler of Outworld

15. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    Earlier me and my dad were talking about a trope that really ticks me off. It's where in a sequel, the heroes' prior accomplishments don't matter and the characters became beaten-down losers before the story even starts (or in a brief prologue).

A prime example is Force Awakens. Han is a failed dad who lost his ship and went back to smuggling. Luke was forgotten and became a myth after he abandoned his friends. The Empire is essentially still around. A Palpatine-like leader is still in charge. The victory in ROTJ didn't really accomplish anything and the heroes are all losers now.

After thinking about it, I realized I don't think I've ever seen this trope done well. And I have trouble even imagining a story where it would work well. Maybe with Charlie Brown, since he's supposed to be a loser anyway? I like plenty of stuff in TFA, but a lot of people (myself included) regard this aspect as one of the worse things in the movie. I really admire stories that can logically progress the story and the characters, and present them with new challenges, not just start the story with everyone down on their luck. It's such a lazy tactic to avoid actually showing them go through conflicts throughout the course of the story.

• Like Like x 6
  16. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    I don’t like this trope in Ghosbuters II, but honestly that was a really inferior rehash from the get-go so that was hardly it’s only problem.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Logan is about the only one I can think of where it works.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rusty24

JJ Abrams is especially bad with this. See the opening scene of Star Trek Into Darkness and the X-Wing scene in Rise of Skywalker for reference. That guy really needs to take a science class given all the glaring scientific inaccuracies in his movies especially in terms of distance in space. As much I love the movie Armageddon, that movie is the poster child for scientific inaccuracies and JJ Abrams wrote that too

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I'm all for a little bending of science, but things like that take it a bit too far for me. It doesn't even take extensive knowledge of space to realize that water rusts and damages machinery. That's something we see every day here on Earth.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rusty24

Exactly. Push a Toyota Camry into a lake and then try to start it ten years later. I’m willing to bet it’s not going to work so well.

• Like Like x 1