Tv Tropes that you hate

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by K2flygurl, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Prime Red

Prime Red Banned

With Deadpool originally being nothing more than a Deathstroke ripoff I can understand.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In what context have you seen this come into play?

Because whenever I've seen similar commentary in play, it's not that guns are mechanically primitive. It's that the mindset to use them are, with the criticism typically being along the lines of that guns are impersonal. Any schmoe can theoretically pick one up and become a killing machine, and the range and ease divorces the user from the weight of their actions. Whereas using martial weapons at a comparable effectiveness requires significantly more skill, and the user sees the consequences of their actions first-hand.

This is typically a philosophy of the "Proud Warrior Race Guy", and generally not treated as a practical mindset, and perhaps not even wholly true of the setting (if the gun user and the martial artist become friends/allies in the story, then the gun user being criticized will likely reveal just how burdened he is by all the deaths he's caused, and spear guy will acquiesce). But it's frequently used as a counterpoint argument for when a "modern" warrior faces off against a tribe of "savages".

• Like Like x 3
  3. Prime Red

Prime Red Banned

That's a trope that needs to stop.

• Like Like x 3
  4. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Does it? I mean, it's not good to treat it is a blanket characterization. But that's rarely the case. Trained professionals and people that respect their firearms will understand the weight of their actions. But criminal thugs will use them because of how easy they are to intimidate and kill with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Prime Red

Prime Red Banned

Well that is kind of what you are doing. Saying just anyone can pick up a gun and become a killing machine is not really accurate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I said "theoretically". Not that it's always the case, but the argument that's being put forth hinges on the notion that it's easy for a gun to become deadly with relatively little skill.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chopperface

Chopperface All the Stars Are Closer

News Credits:
    Well said, MX. “So uncivilized”.

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    This.
    Exactly this.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Who can pick up a gun and not be able to kill someone or themselves, even if only accidentally? A baby can do it. A monkey. So who is this mythical person who is capable of lifting and holding a gun, but incapable of killing? If you want to say someone without training might be incapable of becoming an efficient killing machine, sure, whatever. Someone without training might not be able to achieve a significant kill count. But they possess the ability to kill.

A gun is a killing machine. Literally. By design.

No skill, really. Plenty of kids with zero skill or training die every year from accidents with guns. All that's necessary is fingers. An opposable thumb would be nice. But that's really all that's needed for a gun to become deadly.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Fallout

Fallout you finally met your nemesis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Affordability and ease of use were the reasons why firearms started being used in the first place. Any band of badly trained peasants could be suddenly dangerous if you placed enough of them together and gave them basic guns.

Also, you can't kill anyone or anything with a sword by accident. With a gun it's fairly easy. Those bullets don't vanish from the air. They always end somewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Prime Red

Prime Red Banned

Yes, and that's not what I would describe as a "killing machine".

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Because you choose to ignore the irrefutable and obvious truth. That's a choice you make. A gun is a device that was conceived and created specifically for the purpose of killing. That many people use guns for sport or because they appreciate their engineering or aesthetic beauty doesn't change the fact that a gun is a device created specifically for the purpose of killing.

And I'm not against guns. I don't believe in taking away people's guns. I don't own any, but I've been shooting with friends many times and it is fun. I just believe in honesty and in not pretending something isn't what it clearly is.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Prime Red

Prime Red Banned

I don't think you actually read what I was talking about. Get off your high horse for a couple minutes and actually read it.

15. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

"Don't worry, I used the blunt side. He'll live."

16. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Thank goodness that bullets are, technically, composed entirely of blunt sides!

Usage of blunt or training swords in fiction for disabling anyone in a way other than humiliating them is a trope that I consider dumb.

17. Incepticon

Incepticon This place ain't what it used to be...

News Credits:
    On the gun theme going on up there, some other favorites:

- How a car is a bullet absorbing shield when a good guy hides behind it, but it's a bomb that explodes with one shot when a bad guy hides behind it.

- The way good guys can hide behind things like flipped coffee tables or couches when being shot at... because obviously bullets can't penetrate an inch of wood or fabric.

- The way good guys can just sort of wince after being shot ANYWHERE but keep doing what they're doing, but how bad guys not only go down the second they're shot but are also just instantly dead. No screaming... no writhing around... just insta dead. As annoying as how baddies always go down and STAY down after a single punch or kick.

- And the best of the best; the way all electrical panel locks OPEN doors when shot if that's what the hero needs it to do, but conveniently also CLOSE/LOCK doors when shot if that's what required. Just once, ONE TIME, I would kill to see a movie where someone shoots a panel like that and it does exactly what it would do in real life: which is nothing. Absolutely nothing. It wouldn't even spark, let alone open or close shit.

• Like Like x 3
  18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    lol!

19. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

While not exactly a trope, when the good guy rigs explosives to blow something up, but turns around and walks away in slow motion like the baddest MF on Earth while it's being detonated. Small mushroom cloud in the background and all... There's never any subsequent debris that impales or cracks them in the head while they walk away because all explosions are contained for protagonists.

20. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Oh okay I got one. Super persistent predator, the notion that a carnivore (or a really ornery eater of other stuff) will go to any length and all troubles to try and catch prey that really isn't worth the effort. In real life, predators are fairly reluctant to engage in drawn out pursuit or conflict with prey unless they're confident the hunt is in their favour, given the risk of being injured is a real and life-threatening possibility. Only if they're absolutely desperate, starving or rabid would they attack past the point of rationale. But in media, as soon as it's got a whiff of the smell, it will not stop for any reason, regardless of any hits it takes or obstacles in its way or even if the prey is just really small.

Now, there are exceptions to this that make sense; Xenomorphs are unnatural killing machines that lash out at every other living thing. King Ghidorah is intelligent and sadistic, hence why he puts energy into destroying and eating teeny-tiny humans. But for an otherwise 'normal' creature, it's rather insulting to watch them go to ridiculous lengths to eat a person, like that T-rex in the 2005 Kong who had just killed a large crocodile thing, but immediately pursues our damsel despite the fact it's already got a mouthful of meat. Even when half of the corpse falls off, even when a massive gorilla gets in the way, the rex just does not stop trying to snap up a tiny lady.

Crazy stuff, man.

• Like Like x 6