Minor/Repaint: TrueGritt Customs Onslaught

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by DavAnthony, Feb 14, 2009.

1. DavAnthony

DavAnthony Well-Known Member

I really wanted to like the Onslaught figure that came out from Hasbro but it just had little to no resemblance to the Combaticon that he was based on. I thought the toy Hasbro came out with would make a great Hardhead he just wasn't Onslaught to me. The Combaticons were always some of my favorite combiners so I figured I would start making them one at a time.

It took me awhile to find a good base for Onslaught. After looking at pictures I realized how much Universe Dropshot had the look I wanted to go for.

I ended up taking a Cybertron Starscream's head and modding it into an Onslaught. I really liked the head on the Universe one from Hasbro but I wasn't going to pay all that money just for the head. I had to build him a neck, which I'm not crazy about and will probably go back and improve at some point, and used Styrene on his front chest piece. Then I grabbed his old gun backpack from the original G1 figure and his gun. Drilled some holes in the figures back to place the gun backpack and he was all done.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

>> Dude its a great custom, but it looks like a modded metroplex

3. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    pretty freakin sweet. i might have used a different head, though

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Looks cool, I don't get the Truegritt part though.

5. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Love it. I have my own Onslaught project on the go, but this is a really nice-looking, tempting mod! ALso the grungy paint job really sells that mold as heavy-duty. I agree about the neck though... it looks a bit too long and thin.

One suggestion... have you tried rotating his arms upside down for the vehicle mode? I find it flows a bit more with the shape of the tank, and hides those big sockets where the missile launchers used to be. It means you can see the fists folded up, but they don't really look like fists in that case, so it's ok. Just an idea. :) 

That's a great choice for the head... if Cybertron Starscreams weren't so hard to get, I'd use those heads for all sorts of stuff!

Great custom!

zmog

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    He looks bad ass! I like the detail on the chest.

7. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This custom is a pleasant surprise! You really did everything really, really well. I feel you really captured Onslaught. Great job! :thumb 

10. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

awesome man. I've always loved the combaticons, and onslaught in particular. I'm just sorry you got to this before i did.

11. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Great custom, but i'm not liking the neck. The head's a good idea, though. Though, if you don't mind me saying, it just screams 'modified Leader Brawl' to me. Dunno why, coz it looks great.

12. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

I really like this guy.

The paint looks really cool, however it looks odd because the same technique was not applied to the g1 cannon part. Also, I noticed you kept the pegs on the arms, is he going to combine?

Nice work overall.

13. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    The bot mode looks really good and it looks like Onslaught to me. I'm not getting why you used a tank for his alt mode though. What are you gonna use to make Brawl now?

14. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

The paint is cool, but the concept of the bash is what makes this one hard. :thumb 

Great work, man!

15. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thats killer dave.

16. DavAnthony

TheDemonDzko
    Thanks, by "modded metroplex" you mean the old G1 figure? I don't see the similarities but I guess I'm not seeing what your seeing.

ssg4life
    I'm glad you like the figure. I'm pretty happy with the head but its the neck that throws it off for me a bit. I want to do some more work to that since it has never really sat right with me.

Boggs6ft7
    Thanks, TrueGritt is the name of my custom site and what I go by with my customs.

SMOG
    Hey thanks, glad you like the figure. I had tried rotating the arms around but found that they just looked off and seemed to show too much of the actual arm. I liked the upside part since it looks like plating and also helps to keep the gun in place. I hear you on the neck, not crazy about it either.

Solrac333
    Thanks Man. The chest was a lot of fun to paint simply because I wanted him to be dirtier and grungier since I figure the Combaticons are purely war type machines. They aren't going to be hanging out getting a wax job like Sunstreaker or afraid to get a scratch like Starscream.

Rumble02
    Thanks Rumble I'm glad you like him.

superquad7
    Thank you I wanted to try something different and combine his G1 look with the Universe figure that came out and then throw my own ideas into it.

whiskeytango
    The great thing about this board is that there are so many talented people and ideas that you tend to have other folks coming up with ideas before you do but then you get to learn from their mistakes. So feel free to borrow away!

Treadshot A1
    Thanks, yeah the neck isn't my favorite either. I noticed that the Combaticons have a few similarities to each other and that Brawl and Onslaught seemed to have similiar heads. That could be one reason, but I don't know. Glad you dig him though!

yourreflection
    Thank You. I actually had planned on painting them but I want to make casts first since these are from my 1 and only original G1 toy and I don't want to grime them up yet. They were more of a placeholder but I think will look better when I'm able to make my copies and paint them to match the rest of the figure. I am planning on making him a combiner, so I didn't want to take off any pegs,etc since I may need them. However I also figured they could work as viewports and tech hubs on the tank for the time being.

Lucs
    Basically was what I felt like going with. Onslaught is kind of a gun platform, whereas Brawl will be a straight up Tank. I didn't like the ideas of Onslaught being a Swat truck or an old WWII truck. Wanted something meaner and meatier for the leader of the Combaticons. Also when I make the combiner I need a figure that is large enough to be the main torso of the combiner and also roughly the same size as Silverbolt since I always saw Bruticus as being Superions direct competition.

autobotx23
    Thanks and I'm glad you appreciate the overall bash I was going for with the custom

Xhairs
    Thanks buddy, glad you like it and thanks for posting.

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    How did you put Starscream's head on to this mold?

18. DavAnthony

Solrac,
    It took some trimming and cutting. I used the general setup that was already built into the engineering for the figure. For the head though, I used a screw, some green stuff and attached it that way. I'll be going back and giving him a better neck now that I have some styrene tubes that I can use and build the rest of the detail around.

19. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Took the words out of my mouth.