True Beasts, Or Not ?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Reygn, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Reygn

Reygn Banned

I've always been the one to imagine the cybertronians whose alt mode as a beast makes them extremely powerful. Prime Predaking is probably my favorite example; he was easily the most powerful bot, with Upgraded Optimus' skill being the only thing to even slightly rival him. But when he becomes a dragon, unleashing his true beast, he is nearly unstoppable.
    Even someone like Dragonstorm didn't seem too impressive. When your a beastformer, I would expect nothing less than a true beast. That is why I always think of G1 Predaking as the most powerful combiner, given he is five beasts combined.
    Not all breastformers are powerful, namely those like Rattrap. I'd like to see where the line would be if we were to scale these characters.

How do other beastformers stack up ?
    BW/TM1/TM2 Megs, Animated Grimlock, FOC Grimlock, IDW Deathsaurus, etc.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Unless you're talking hard stats like tech specs there is not and never will be a definitive power ranking for Transformers. Like any other franchise it's entirely based on what the plot needs at the moment. And even tech specs are relative.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Reygn

Reygn Banned

I'm aware that there is no official power ranking, I'm just wondering whay kinds of feats do other beastformers have.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

G1 Dinobots seemed unstoppable in the 80s when dinos were cool. Still remember wanting those toys so bad because of it. The Terrorcons and Apeface also seemed to kick more ass in beast mode.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Amadeus Novilium

Amadeus Novilium Well-Known Member

Also Apeface in beast mode:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lex79

Lex79 Well-Known Member

I only view the dinobots as particularly powerful because of their dinosaur alt mode because as a kid I always imagined dinosaurs as powerful and unstoppable creatures. Other beasts, like the Predacons, I can see them having more bloodlust and feral instincts but I don't see them as more powerful than, say, trucks or jets.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Judging by the picture provided they appear to stack up pretty damn well.

• Like Like x 3
  8. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

What does how powerful they are even have to do with being a "true beast" anyway? What the heck does that even mean. I clicked on this thinking it was going to be about more realistic organic beast modes vs. robotic beast modes but this seems to have absolutely nothing at all to do with beast modes.

It's a discussion about power rankings... and your personal opinion that Beastformers should be the strongest Transformers... which seems to come out of no where. I mean there's plenty of examples where the opposite is true. RID2001 for example actually stated that VEHICLE transformers were more powerful than Beasts.

I think it can be very situational depending on many different factors and shouldn't always just be one way or the other.

Now you're entitled to you opinion and everything but can we get a mod to change the title of the thread? It's very misleading. That's the thing that really bugs me here. Should be something like "How powerful should beastformers be" instead of this "True Beast or not" nonsense.

9. Reygn

Reygn Banned

The point of this thread is indeed to find out how powerful beastformers should be. I don't they should be the most powerful cybertronians, but they should be at the top of singlular bots. Prime Predaking and IDW Grimlock is what I'm basing this on. In Prime, Predaking was the mist powerful non-demi god character, while in IDW, Grimlock is below a lot of characters. The title is not nonsense, in the sense that beastformers should be debated when it comes to their power ranking. Being a beast should stand for something, but that's just my opinion.

10. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always considered the Dinobots to be "extra" resilient in their dino mode because their armour was closed (like turtle shells). In robot mode, the shell is opened and their un-armoured parts were exposed.

The beast mode thing is plot driven, so isn't worth much, unless you go with the TFs being magic and not science driven.

I'd go more with how the robot is built and if the alt mode does actually provide sealed armour, extra weaponry, etc. to warrant an extra boost to their abilities.

11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

The title is nonsense though because being a beastformer just means having an animal alternate mode. There's no reason it should have to mean anything else beyond that. If that's something you want, that's just your own personal opinion and has nothing to do with being a "true beast".

Like I said before, what does that even mean? There's no such thing as a "true beast" You either are or you aren't, power level has nothing to do with it. I mean you can talk about how strong you think beastformers should be all you want to but the moment you start implying that you're not a real beastformer unless you meant my own personal standards of how strong you should be then you're speaking nonsense because one has nothing to do with the other.

BM Rattrap isn't particularly powerful... is he not a real Beastformer? He transforms into a rat, of course he's a beastformer, if he wasn't he'd probably be a car or a motorcycle or something. That's literally the only requirement of being a Beastformer is having a beast alt mode. As soon as you start implying he's too weak to be a "true beast" then what is he then? Cause he sure as hell isn't a vehicle. It's nonsense.

This whole discussion about power level is a completely separate discussion from what the title implies. Like I said before I saw that title and thought "True Beast or not" meant Organic Beast Modes vs. Robotic Beast Modes... or perhaps even beast modes based on animals that actually exist vs. beast modes based on mythical creatures. Something like that. I did not come in here thinking this was going to be a discussion on power levels because nothing about the title indicated that at all. And this implication that a Beastformer isn't a "true beast" unless they meet with your arbitrary standards for what a "True Beast" is makes no sense because no one knows what the hell you're talking about except you. That is nonsense. You're having an entirely different conversation that really has nothing at all to do with the thread title you put up.

Again, if you prefer stronger Beastformers that's one thing, that's you're opinion and that's fine. But this implication of are they "true beasts" or not based on your standard makes it sound like you're presenting your opinion as fact and by that standard the answer has to be of course they are beasts and you're speaking nonsense if you think otherwise.

12. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    "Beast" is a colloquialism used to describe someone of great strength and/or combat prowess. What the OP is asking basically for a Juggalo style ranking of fight ability, from my understanding.

13. Reygn

Reygn Banned

I'm going off of my opinion, that is true. I am going off of Prime Predaking, who is the strongest bot in the series, but then doubles in power as a beast. Not all beasts are created equal. Rattrap is a small bot who turns into a rat, meaning no one should expect ture power from him.

I still don't know how you got Organics V Mechanics out of the title. I think it would actually imply that we will discuss whether a character a true beast, as in, is the character obviously more powerful in beast mode, or do they just happen to be a beast.

14. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Because I assumed "true beast" was a reference to the organic beast modes from Beast Wars that actually look like real animals as apposed to robotic beasts which actually makes a lot more sense than your power level discussion which really has nothing at all to do with beast modes.

Nope doesn't imply that at all because that's just nonsense.

"True beast" implies one of two things in the context of Transformers. Either Organic beast modes vs. Mechanical Beast modes. Because an organic beast mode is more of a true/real beast mode than one that is obviously a robot. Or true/real world beast modes vs. mythical creatures and fuzors with made up fictional beast modes.

Nothing about the words "True beast" implies anything at all regarding power level. Again that's a totally different conversation. No one has to be obviously stronger in beast mode to be a "true beast" and I still don't understand what that is even suppose to me in this thread. It seems you've applied some new definition to the word "True" that no one understands except you.

I understand the difference between true real life beasts and mechanical and/or fictional made up beasts. That's all the words "True Beast" could ever imply is real vs. fictional animals.

Your idea of true beast seems to imply a whole lot of nonsense. I still don't get it. If FoC Grimlock and Prime Predaking are "True Beasts" because they're more powerful in beast mode, then what the hell are the characters from Beast Wars?

Notice how I can easily define Organic Beast vs. Mechanical Beast or Real Beast vs. Mythical Beast. In either case if they're true beasts or not they're still beasts. In either case true just means something that actually exists in the real world. What about power level makes one beast more true than another? Nothing. I mean even in the real world not all beasts are equally as strong so why would that have anything at all to do with being "true beasts" or not... It doesn't

I do find the discussion rather interesting. Why some beastformers are obviously more powerful in beast mode than others. But the title should reflect that discussion instead of asking if they're "real" or not cause that's irrelevant.

15. Reygn

Reygn Banned

When it comes down to it, the title can be percived in many different ways. This thread can cover the many meanings.

16. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

"Call of the eild" was a great BW ep that delved into the Maximals' beast mode abilities (and handicaps). Then they kinda forgot about the whole "accepting yourself and rocking what you've got" message, because CG animation is expensive.

Car Robots/2001 RID had a flying shark and a three-headed dragon. Nuff said.

BWNeo had excellent and unique beast designs, and as bonkers as an triphibian orgysaurus is, I'm glad target released him stateside way back when.

Beasties are among my favorite TF's. To me just having the physical pressence of a thunderous, magnanimous animal that turns into a robot is all I need to enjoy it.

17. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

No it didn't.

[​IMG]

There was also a frog, a skunk, and a flying squirrel you didn't mention.

18. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

I see Predaking in TF Prime as being super powerful mostly due to his very large size. It's a common stereotype to view bigger as being stronger. Combiners are extremely deadly and powerful, and it makes sense, due to their overwhelming amount of mass.

Of course, mass-shifting in transformers has always been a topic of grief for us fans.

Also, that incarnation of Predaking was a mythical medieval dragon, which I'm sure are known to be among the most powerful beasts in fiction.

If he turned into a giant Blue Whale, I would invision him being a much lesser threat than a flying fire-breathing dragon with sharp teeth/claws.

19. Reygn

Reygn Banned

Predaking (35') was stated by Shockwave to have been his geatest creation.
    Grimlock (40') was stalemated by Ser-Ket, one of Shockwave's first predacons.
    Grimlock is the bigger bot, but Predaking is the bigger beast, which is awesome.

20. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Beast modes arent so much about power as they are about having unique abilities that they can mix in with their more standard robot mode abilities. Cheetor is fast, Rattrap is sneaky and scrappy, the Dinobots are bulky, etc.

Vehicle modes have some of that going on too, but a lot more of the time they are just used for transportation.