Customs: Troubleshooting SS Bonecrusher

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Pcm979, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

My SS Bonecrusher is defective. His left arm encounters resistance when folding inwards during transformation to vehicle mode and ultimately refuses to sit flush. The result is an unsightly gap. His other arm sits flush perfectly.

This is the point where it encounters resistance:
    IMG_0676.jpg

This is as far as it'll go:
    IMG_0680.jpg

And this is the gap:
    IMG_0680.jpg

Returning it isn't an option, so I decided to try to fix it myself. After experimenting I decided that I needed to knock this pin out and take his arm off so I could see if there was any flash impeding his arm movement:
    IMG_0683.jpg

Turns out that this is a capped pin, and to take it out I need a soldering iron and a rare earth magnet. I don't own either of those, I don't know how to use a soldering iron, and buying them would cost more than buying a new Bonecrusher.

So, can anyone here give me any ideas on what to do? Is there any way to remove the pin without a soldering iron and/or a rare earth magnet? Is there a way I could find and fix the problem without taking the arm off? Or should I just give up and get another Bonecrusher?

Thanks!

2. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD All are dead, yes?

That joint is mostly accessible without taking it apart.
    How does it look when its opened like this?(from vehicle mode)
    0214191606.jpg 0214191615.jpg
    If it isnt just flash that you can cut away, and turns out to be a warped joint (looks like the roof panels arent lined up on the affected side), I'd try returning it. Especially if you got it locally.

3. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately, my Bonecrusher looks identical to yours from that angle, so I guess it must be a warped joint after all.

IMG_0687.jpg

Returning it is going to be nigh impossible, I'm afraid. As a last ditch before I resign myself to him being robot mode only, do you think I might be able to heat the joint up in warm water and reshape it? Without knocking that pin out?

4. THEdeathsHEAD

Yea, either warm water, if you can isolate the bent part (maybe by unscrewing the torso and popping the arm off the swivel), or a hairdryer if its gotta stay together. Find out whats bent, compared to the other arm. I cant quite tell what is bent from your pics so far. Could be the walls (passenger window panel on one side, detail panel on the other where the peg is)surrounding the silver shoulder joint. Id try a method other than hot water to avoid ruining the window paint if thats the case. Like a hairdryer if you can get a hold of one.

EDIT: I think I see a flashing sticking out just enough...circled, green
    bc4984+64984984.png
    Or am I seeing the parts beneath it? Could be the lighting.

EDIT2: Okay, second observation. Does it look like its deformed here in person?
    bc5065654954.png

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  5. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Thanks. Unfortunately, after careful examination, I can say that those highlighted areas are just illusions caused by my bad camerawork.

I did some exploratory surgery to widen some tight clearances but didn't get any results, so I've given it the hairdryer treatment instead. I clamped it in place and heated it to hell and back, and it seems to be holding together far better, but I won't know if it's a permanent fix or if the plastic will warp itself again after cooling down and transforming it back to robot mode. Fingers crossed!

IMG_0691.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. THEdeathsHEAD

Aw hell yea dude just now checked this, nice job!
    So did it stay the right shape? It's transformable now?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pcm979

Pcm979 Well-Known Mimber

Yup! The fix seems to be holding. I've left him in Vehicle Mode most of the time, so I guess he could still warp back to untransformability if left in Robot Mode for an extended period of time, but it looks good so far.

Thanks for the help! :thumb 

• Like Like x 1
  8. THEdeathsHEAD

Good to hear. :D 
    Glad I could help ya.

• Like Like x 2