Trolls face two years in jail under a new law in the UK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gregles, Oct 21, 2014.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

http://Internet trolls face up to two years in jail under new laws BBC News ‎- 1 day ago

Not sure if link works as still working out copying and pasting on my iPod but if it doesn't and your curious about the article it's pretty easy to google search. Not sure how I feel about this as on one hand I do think something needs to be done about make threats, blackmail, sexually stalk/Harris but this could be incredibly damaging to freedom of speech. The biggest problem I have is that troll is too much of an ambiguous word that could have many different things to different people so throwing in such vague word in the hands law enforcers could make things very confusing and open abuse. Personally think the best solution is there being more amazingly moderated sites like this where we are kept relatively safe and supported. If better funded and more popular sites like Facebook and Twitter cared as much about its users as the mods here then I believe most of these problems handled there

2. solusprime19

solusprime19 Disney, Dat knee

hmmm...i'm starting to wonder what "troll" means in the UK now...because by American language, this sound ridiculous.

3. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Well, in some cases, justice. :tongue: 

4. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    So....act like an annoying pain in the ass insensitive douchebag and get thrown in jail? Really? It'd be funny to see people react to that here in the U.S. I forsee many tears of butthurt following, if not including, the usual repertoire of misinterpretations of the Constitution and their idea of what their "freedoms" entail.

5. solusprime19

^dude, that would result in war over how hypocritical the "freedom of speech" law is.

you guys can try and say it wouldn't.

6. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    It actually wouldn't. People tend to misinterpret the concept of freedom of speech quite often. But if you don't believe me....then for a small example, go look up why there's lawsuits for slander, libel, defamation of character and others that have to do with one using any form of "speech."

On a side note, you'd do well to remember that saying, "Just because you can say it, it doesn't mean you should."

7. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

Similar to disorderly conduct here in the states, just on the internet.

8. solusprime19

While that may be true, Seeker, think about it for a bit. I mean, what if we could go to jail for trolling? We have all done it at least once in our lives, and considering how seriously America and some other governments take minor things these days, it would be pretty harsh.

I mean like browser locking, suspension,and fines harsh. And multiple offences could get you in jail.

better dust off the ol' Aykay, it gonna get wild.

first protest, then riots, then terrorism, then BAM. you got war over nothing...

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    You mean like the one time a woman accidently spilled some coffee on herself, got burned from the hot liquid, then sued McDonalds for not printing "CAUTION: HOT" on the coffee cups and won?

Or how about a Transformers example or two? Slag can no longer be called Slag because apparently that's a British slang word for "loose woman" and then the PCC Spastic issue where the name was seen as insulting by the British to people with mental handicaps. The latter is of special note, since Spastic was never going to be sold in the UK to begin with and they changed the name for the American release anyway.

Do not doubt the stupidity of people, regardless of whatever social culture they hail from.

For whatever reason the link in the OP doesn't work for me but I suspect it goes into detail about how they define actions of "trolling" worth doing jail time over.

10. solusprime19

Yeah...

I knew about everything you just said, which is why I said I was going to look it up...You know, because words in different countries mean different things?

but yes, it's stupid. very stupid. and how does the coffee being hot and not saying it on the package count as a "sue-able" offence? man, i'd hate to ask this again, but...

...Whats wrong with America these days?

11. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Think about it? What's there to think about. If you don't act stupid, then there's not gonna be any "beef." Besides, why would anyone want to act/be stupid much less be called stupid? If you're going to say the government takes minor things, then how's about realizing that maybe its because they know people will be people. And people themselves take minor things and take them too far, making it into a big thing when it shouldn't be. Kind of like how you're doing with this topic.

Just remember the acronym K.I.S.S.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Everybody Mad Bro?

13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Actually watch it be used mostly for people who complain about politicians.

14. gregles

gregles quintesson

15. solusprime19

true, very true.

...but i'm not over thinking it. When America, no, scratch that, when ANY country goes to far (at least to the people) the people act like people and, well, go to far.

who knows, maybe other counties and their "tyrannical" rules are only that way to us and the citizens, but are really only meant to establish order. we may never know. we only go with how we feel in this war, and that's why most don't agree with anything these day. hint to the Civil War. Now, slavery was an any, and pretty much all, country, and it wasn't outlawed until after the War. Why? Because after seeing what the disagreement did to one country, they'd rather not be that way and end up destroyed.

The situation was minor until the populace realized what they were doing. and if these things that are taken so seriously by the government are undermined by us, it won't be long before some people come to the light somehow, and we end up looking stupid in the end. We have to look at the situation and analyze.

that's how i feel, and i don't expect any of you to agree.

16. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Dude. You really should read the stuff you're posting as if you didn't type it up yourself. Do you realize how silly you sound? You're taking a minor issue of being able to commit trolling/cyber bullying and equating it to causes of strife and war. Now....I'm going to say either you're being incredibly unreasonably ridiculous, or....you're trolling. I'm out. This conversation is getting incredibly dumb.

17. solusprime19

no, i' giving an example as to why we shouldn't let laws that PUT YOU IN JAIL over something so minor pass by like that...or something bad will happen.

how did you not get that? sheesh....here i was, trying to be poetic...

18. gregles

gregles quintesson

A little long winded and clumsy but the basic point of this law being wide open to abuse by corrupt governments and law enforcement officials against people who they disagree with is a valid one.

I think they need to not try and put everything under one umbrella of trolling be more specific in what constitutes cyber crime so maybe online threats = crime, hacking accounts = crime, stalking = crime, blackmail = crime. All with varying punishments depending on severity and circumstances.

19. solusprime19

I agree. This law is WAY too vague.

20. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    it might not be as bad as you think, I mean you can get into some trouble for sexually harassing, stalking and threatening violence over the phone can't you? although I don't think this law is needed since the boards I've been to tend to regulate and eventually perma-ban the really nasty assholes if they don't change their behavior.