Tricks to save money while collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

01) Don't be a completist
    02) Don't buy something just because it's on sale
    03) Don't buy random repaints
    04) Stick with in show characters
    05) Only buy the characters you really want, if you don't like a character don't buy it
    06) Set a collection "focus" and stick to it

2. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A lot of great tips in here. Personally, I find it helps to plan out all your purchases. I started doing that this year, and even made a spreadsheet for it. While you don't need to do a spreadsheet, planning definitely helps. As a rule, I tend to list the figures I want at least three months before they're release, and if they still catch my eye at release, I'll get them. Sorta like a tattoo- no spur of the moment stuff. If I ever *do* have any spur of the moment purchases, they are no more than ten dollars, and no more than a few times a year.

This year, I planned on buying MP Wheeljack and Bee, Cubex Huff, Badcube Brawny, Generations Rattrap and Rhinox, and I didn't deviate from that at all. Ended up getting a few as gifts, and I always keep a few releases in the back of my head as gift ideas if my family wants to buy me something. This year, Generations Nightbeat was one of those kinds of releases- one I could live without, but would gladly accept if given the opportunity.

3. HanDy

HanDy You have been deceived

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My best one is don't buy everything you like, seriusly, it have save me thousands.

On the other hand i didn't bought Quakewave at his original price when i got the chance, and now i just bash my head against the wall when i see the prices on ebay. :lol 

4. ericepy

ericepy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    when i see it, i buy it.

5. Raining8s

Raining8s Decepticon

News Credits:
    Thank you for sharing this. I feel real lucky to have the collection I do. My wife and I make good money, but we have 2 kids. Spending $100s on figures is hard to justify at times.

That aside, some members post as if money isn't an issue for anyone. Just look at any "Should I get figA or figB?" posts. You will always see a lot of "get both" replies. Also some of the same members will go into the coupon thread and complain about coupon sharing. They've probably never used a coupon before. And the same members will go crazy if they see you have a KO Ratbat.

Just said all of that to say, Thanks for this type of post.

6. Nubs

Nubs Master-D

In addition to bellpeppers' mention of "being picky", I try to find one toy for a character I like and stick with it. Oh cool, a new version of the character that's slightly more accurate! NO! Stay away!

I had my heart set on HFTD Starscream. I got him. I no longer need any other movie Starcscreams. I got RotF Leader Optimus. I don't need another figure of that Optimus. I'm getting AoE Optimus for Christmas. If a cleaner, better mold of that design comes out with the next movie, I'll pass. It seems simple enough, but it's a bit of personal advice that has saved me a lot of money in the past.

7. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

My personal "rules" are:

- Distinguish between what I like versus what I can't live without.
    - It's OK to buy a few items I merely like as long as I keep them sealed for a while. That way I can return it if I change my mind or if I need the funds to buy a figure I can't live without.
    - For any new TF media (RID, Armada, Animated, etc.) I have found that I really am only interested in the original Autobots and Decepticons introduced at the beginning of the show. Although new characters are brought in later, it's those initial characters that get the most screen time and tend to be the most memorable.
    - DON'T BUY ANYTHING JUST BECAUSE IT'S ON SALE!!!!!!!!
    - Sell off toys I can live without to apply the funds to new figures I want.

8. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    Know what you want I have a list of 40 g1 characters left to get for neo g1 combiner wars gives me so far 15 of them.

Basically draw a line in the concrete and stick to it for me its the 40 and legit mps

9. Silk Spectre

This is a great way to keep a collection in check and to not go overboard on spending, too. I no longer collect Transformers, but this is my rule for my 1/6th scale collecting. One version per character, and I try to get what I feel is the most "definitive" version (or the one I simply like the most). With a company like HT, on occasion I can sell one if I truly feel a newer version fits better into my collection or "definitive idea" because I can break even or profit.

I don't want 5 + versions of the same character in my collection. So minor outfit changes are a no go.

That's one of the biggest pitfalls of Transformers collecting - buy 50 different versions of the same character. If you only collect one character, say Optimus Prime, then it's less of an issue, but when you want to have a collection of different characters, buying multiple random repaints and sizes of the same character just adds up.

Focus is important. If you end up selling off lines and figures you really aren't passionate about or don't feel fit into your collection or just have too many figures that are repaints/look too similar, you're likely to take a loss, and that's more money spent and wasted.

10. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

I think that having a fixed budget is really a golden rule. Benefits of having a budget:

1) It forces you to think twice about a purchase
    2) It makes you prioritise purchases
    3) It can make you realise that an item you really wanted is not so hot compared to high-priority items from the next 2-3 months...
    4) It connects you to the hard reality of money
    5) It increases your savings, giving you freedom to invest more, pay debts off or make gifts to your dear ones
    6) It limits the scope of your collection: if you are completist, you will have to focus; if you are not, you will only get the "best" items from each line
    7) Following point 7, a collection with a reduced scope corresponds to greater savings by itself
    8) It reinforces and supports your self-control and your mastery of yourself
    9) It makes collecting a well considered choice and not an impulse act
    10) Ultimately, a budget helps you become greater than your collection

Just my two cents.

11. hugoboss

hugoboss Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    These are great tips. I've been very fortunate of having a great salary w/ no kids but just a caring/supportive gf. However, I do try to set rules by not going overboard (too much, lol). And I do try to stick w/ just one line (Official HasTak MPs) and no 3Ps.

Although lately, I've been buying two of each. Specially, the limited edition figures, i.e. MP-10 EVA :-/.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  12. Silk Spectre

IMO, this is probably THE most important end result one can achieve.

I've seen too many collectors end up being owned by their collecting, instead of the other way around. This was admittedly a problem for me earlier in my collecting days (I've been a collector for years).

Forcing myself to focus, cut back, and pay more attention to my spending has given me control over my collecting.

A second rule I made for myself is that I want my collection to fit into my car. And I have a small car and there has to be room for two kittens in it first and foremost. I don't want my collection to be a burden or a lake to drown myself in. Now it's something I enjoy more and I appreciate every piece I own.

13. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    why wouldn't you just buy the first one.. open it.. see the one on sale, get that, and simply return that one to the place you didn't get it on sale from?

wouldn't that make more sense?.. i mean, it's not like you're returning an opened item, you're not stealing anything.. and there's no patience involved.

14. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I also try to get my folks to buy console video games off Amazon for me

15. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

Realize that (as in my case) a 30 year old kid with kids of his own cannot go over-budget on a commodity. That said, here are my rules for myself:

-Pay current all rent and utilities, first things first!

-Throw completism out the window. I tried getting everything once about 20 years ago when the lines were less saturated and honestly I was disgusted with half the crap I had. Which leads us to:

-Video reviews of what you actually think you want. Personally I watch Peaugh, Emgo, Benscollectables, and Vangelus if just for the post-production! Dont form your opinion on just one plastic junkie's praises.

-Shop around. I've got loot at BBTS and a stack at TFSOURCE, but only recently I've had awesome scores at Transformerland, agesthreeandup, acestoystore, tf-direct, just to name a few.

-Be picky, really critically picky about what you want, where you're going to put it, and ask yourself if that quarter-pound of plastic will still feel worth its hype six months from now, or if you're like me, six years, sixteen years...in your grandkid's hands.

Enjoy,
    -Kronatron

16. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I guess it depends on
    1) your morals. True, it isn't stealing, but it just doesn't sit right with me to do that, and
    2) if you really have the patience. Can you really not wait a few weeks to open it? I do this every so often, if I did that I've spent a lot lately, or find used buying at a higher frequency. I'll leave the figure in the package on my desk and wait. Sometimes, seeing a figure right hen and there makes you want it, but once you have it, the novelty may quickly fade. Keep it in the package (or still in the bag with the receipt), wait a bit, and if the price doesn't drop and you're still satisfied with it, open it.

17. evil ivotron

evil ivotron destroy'em all

I buy my transformers on sale by visa. Every 18 months a free vacation.

18. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I buy a few extra MPs when I order from Anime Export or whatever when I preorder, then sell them at toy shows or here. Even if it's just the domestic going rate (e.g. BBTS PRICES), three of, say, Prowl or whatever means mine ends up free.

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bulky coat and knowing where the security cameras are.

J/k

20. thadsilverfox

thadsilverfox Well-Known Member

If you wait long enough there is bound to be another Quakewave from someone.