Trend with upcoming Generations figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Starscream NZ, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, we all knew of Whirl getting a new upgrade from a while ago, and now we see that leaked information reveals we are getting new Roadbuster and Jetfire figures, a thought's occurred to me.

All three of these figures were 'loaned' by Hasbro back in the 80's to include in their toyline, but they never owned these molds, hence they've never been able to reissue them. Given the victory over Harmony Gold regarding Jetfire, is it just me, or could the making of new molds of these three figures (and the other Insecticons) be a way of Hasbro securing the rights of those figures but re-making the G1 design with new technology? Most people would've preferred Whirl to be more MTMTE styled, and admittedly, we haven't yet seen Roadbuster or Jetfire however it seems that Roadbusters design has not significantly changed over time (DOTM aside). It'd also seem very late-to-the-game for Jetfire to be based on his WfC/FoC design, i'm expecting to see a very G1 representation of the character.

So do you think that this is a possible trend for Hasbro? Meaning other characters such as Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme could be far behind?

2. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not necessarily. Harmony Gold has the Macross license, not Dvorack (at least as far as I can tell) which was the series that Roadbuster and Whirl came from. Roadbuster could be redone fairly easily I think, as I don't think that it'd be too hard to modernize and change the figure enough to avoid any potential Japanese conflicts.

I'd presume more that if we got a G1-ish Jetfire figure, it'd be more modeled after Skyfire from the G1 cartoon, or the WfC version. There would be no problems doing either. Harmony Gold own the license for the VF-1 Valkyrie toy/likeness (hence no-goes on the G1 Jetfire reissue or mockups), not the Jetfire name.

I think a Sky lynx would be unlikely, but if Metroplex sells well, a not-quite-titan sized figure could very well happen of Omega.

3. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    I would kick a puppy in the balls for a reissue/classic style Sky Lynx.

Oh god just an IDEA of a Titan Class Sky Lynx is making me tingly!

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme are available to Hasbro, since Tomy apparently bought out the original company that had created those toys, and Tomy merged with Takara a few years ago.

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Only Titan Class is worthy of the scholarly gentleman known as Sky Lynx.

6. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Ultimate Class would also be fine.

In fact, Ultimate Predaking repainted into Sky Lynx would be really really fine.

7. Extendarr

Extendarr Well-Known Member

Titan class Sky Lynx seems like overkill.

8. C888

C888 Well-Known Member

Or underkill if you're Sky Lynx.

9. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    NO, just no... unless he's meant for the Prime series and not Classics..

but, an ultimate version of Skylynx and Omega Supreme would be awesome..

10. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

The BEST modern toy would be an Ultimate size class of the Ursagryph mold - Grimwing or Darksteel, repainted in G1 sky Lynx colors, I'll grant you.

Or even just upscale that ursagryph mold into Leader class for him. Lynx wasn't THAT big of a toy after all.

Of course, brand new molds in Ultimate class of SL and Omega would also be great.

But in a "Let's just recolor and remold as little as possible" fashion? Ultimates Predaking's a good choice. I mean, Sky Lynx is rather draconic after all, sure he doesn't have three heads, but he is rather draconic and has a serpentine tail. So it fits, if you consider him going, "Dragons are awesome, I'm awesome, I'll be an awesome dragon!" and bingo bango, there we go. Besides, he can use his other two heads to store his ego...and talk to someone who is his own equal.

11. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ultimate Predaking only has one head, so there's no problem there.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is no way I'd remotely trade my Encore Sky Lynx for a white Ultimate Predaking. Sky Lynx needs to look like Sky Lynx.

Anyway, recoloring big molds is hardly any sort of "trend" for Generations. That sounds more like a "Platinum Edition wish list" thing. Hell, why isn't that a thread?

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I rather Hasbro/TT give us a Titan Class Tryticon rather than Sky Lynx. After all, the latter was never that large in toy or toon form.

14. IronicHide

IronicHide MEME GO HERE

This guy. He knows what time it is.

However - Metroplex aside - HasTak seems a little uneasy about throwing bigger toys into the Generations line.

The return of voyagers - Rhinox, Whirl, et al - is welcome but I doubt we'd see much bigger than these.

Plus, the Encore Sky Lynx fits in, indubitably and superlatively, with many collections, sir.

15. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I laugh every time someone suggests a toy from something like Movieverse, Animated, or Prime as a Classics toy. It's like apples and forklifts, there's no real comparison other than them being physical objects.

Encore Sky Lynx for my G1 collection, make a new mold for my Classics collection.

Winner. Also a nice WFC Omega Supreme just for giggles. And while we're at it make sure we get some common sense repaints to sweeten the deal.

16. LazyAza

LazyAza MMC color go brrrr

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If they do a SkyLynx he needs to be SkyLynx, whether slavishly G1 or more idw inspired classics-esc I don't care but I definitely do not want to see him be just some redeco of an existing figure, god that'd just be completely awful. Bad enough they already named that hideous BH figure after him.

17. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hideous BH figure?
    Huh, I find the toy to be quite excellent, actually. Just makes me wonder if the animosity some throw at it is because of the name and it not being an out-dated silly-looking space shuttle...thing.

As for Generations, I really like updated designs, and would welcome a dragon Skylinx, and a Striker or Hummer Roadbuster. Jetfire has a good enough update, so I really don't care either way.

18. CyberQuill

CyberQuill Active Member

Does anyone know how long these new Generations figures will be available before the production run ends, or they are all sold out? I hope there will be some time to collect them, not sure if I'll be able to afford them right away. Personally, I'm excited about the Generations Rhinox and Waspinator coming out this month.

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    They'll be on shelves for months, the main factor is being able to find them at retail.

20. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil Banned

News Credits:
    Wait Waspinator is coming out this month?