Travis Knight Moviefone Interview - Bumblebee is a Reboot

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Hanzkaz, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, one person definitely makes it clear what Bumblebee is meant to be (and I'm not talking about Lorenzo).

'Bumblebee' Director Travis Knight on the Joys of Turning People to Goo

Also, Knight is definitely a Transformers fan. So, yeah, he's one of us.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 32
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    It's neat that he was given so much creative freedom. Although this kind of makes we question if there's really going to be a "new canon" like a lot of fans think, or if each future Transformers story is just going to be a standalone adventure. If Knight was given the freedom to abandon Bay's canon, who's to say the next director won't be given the freedom to abandon Knight's? Frankly, I wouldn't be opposed to that approach, where each director gets to make their own movie as they see fit.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Handsome Jack Resurected

Good. This just proves him NOT calling BB a reboot earlier was simply him being forced to do so (as I had always believed to be the case)

• Like Like x 12
  4. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Knight- i want to tell a new story
    Bay- i want it to go Boom, Big bada Boom

• Like Like x 15
  5. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    There was a question "If this is a reboot, then why is Simmons there?". I think the following statement from Travis, explains that.

"And if that means that we essentially are restarting the franchise and that means we’re rebooting these characters and they were taking aspects of the franchise and putting a different prism on it."

It is Simmons. There's no denying it. BUT it's an all new take on Simmons. Very much like how Bulkhead of Animated is not the same as Bulkhead from Prime. Same personality, same look but two different iterations.

• Like Like x 26
  6. BattleUpSaber

BattleUpSaber Result.

News Credits:
    You hear that?

That's the sound of our good friend Lorenzo pulling his hair out in fustration.

• Like Like x 25
  7. Oceanus Prime

Oceanus Prime Beyond your wildest desperation.

It is a wonderful sound.

• Like Like x 21
  8. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I just watched the behind-the-scenes videos on the Bumblebee DVD, and those seem to make it clear that Bumblebee is in-continuity with Bay's series. Knight makes several references to this being a younger version of Bay's Bumblebee, and stuff along those lines. On the other hand, that footage seems to have been filmed a while back (I'm pretty sure snippets were released before the movie even came out). This article probably reflects Paramount/Hasbro's current stance better. Still, I do think it's worth nothing that the official DVD (which was released about a week ago, and is intended to be seen by more people than this article) presents a very different point-of-view.

• Like Like x 2
  9. rich24

rich24 Active Member

I don’t think Bay really made much attempt to build a consistent cannon across films (or sometimes within films) so why wouldn’t others get a free hand too?

• Like Like x 7
  10. diablogunner

diablogunner Defender of the All-Spark

I look at Bumblebee as sort of an "ELSEWORLDS" title. Same/similar characters but a variation on their stories. I loved it.

11. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're going to wipe the slate clean then wipe it entirely... but calling continuity snafus between this film and the 2007 series simply "a different look through the prism" is wanting your cake and eat it too. Ultimately IMHO it still works in this film. I can accept OP on earth prior to Bay's 2007 film and Bee not existing on earth during WWII and not lose my mind trying to sort out continuity. However, making Bee a Camaro at the end of this film is (I guess?) more of that prism business Travis referred to. I get that they didn't want to completely gut the 2007 series, which would be very bad and probably upset more people than it would please, but shifting things around on the chess board so that you're essentially retconning that earlier series in order to make your new series work and yet still get those nostalgic 2007 series feels is, as I said, wanting your cake and eat it too. I say go for broke and completely start over. Nothing wrong with that. They essentially did anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave The Fox

News Credits:
    I agree. If Bay's movies weren't all made by him, I bet there'd be just as much debate about whether or not they all fit into the same timeline. Especially the first three vs. AOE and TLK. An argument could be made that those are two separate series'.

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Oh thank God.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Pichomp

Pichomp Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If he was rebooting certain elements, why not reboot the Megatron element and have him on Cybertron as he originally wanted? Didn’t he say continuity was the reason Megs couldn’t be used? C’mon Knight, don’t go di Bonaventura on us.
    DB46B9A4-27A5-47EA-80B5-ADFBC148A2DE.gif

• Like Like x 3
  15. Alexander Fedorychev

Alexander Fedorychev Tasty energon wine, Cheers!

News Credits:
    Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania located on Cybertron
    YouTube:
    Bay=:bay 
    Travis=story

• Like Like x 9
  16. misfire19d

misfire19d Uniquely-minded Transformers fan.

Interesting interview. I believe what Knight was saying is they deep- sixed the stuff that was crap in order to make a better movie.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really wish his philosophy had extended far enough to include removing Bee’s pacifier face plate. But I’m still very happy with the movie.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Travis was bought in to make a prequel. It must have taken quite a bit of convincing to get the higher ups to just agree to the changes he wanted (and I suspect he went further than they'd expected) .

Paramount did not want to lose the Bayverse. I'd imagine it was really only the Last Knight's failure (they were probably a little distracted by that) that gave Travis Knight the opportunity to do what he did.

(Also, I get the impression that Knight is being diplomatic about the situation he found himself in when he first started making Bumblebee, and his response to it..).

• Like Like x 9
  19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Handsome Jack Resurected

As explained time and again, the film was intentionally made to straddle the prequel/reboot line to avoid answering the question as long as possible. That way, Paramount would avoid locking in which path it ultimately was while also trying to please both film fans and those who disliked the bay films ( though the similarities to the Bay films probably didnt do anything to help attract the latter).

It's pretty clear that everybody is firmly on the reboot train now.

• Like Like x 12
  20. Prime135

Prime135 Cyber Planet Key holder for "This Land" TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Good man

It was likely decided after the scene was already complete that it would be a reboot, with only enough time for minor changes like tweaking Blitzwing to be starscream.

• Like Like x 1