Travis Knight Comments On Why Bumblebee Left Charlie

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Music, Apr 4, 2019.

1. justframbo

justframbo Well-Known Member

Idk - I see that as pretty basic (looking through the bts interview vid on that page, I'm pretty sure that "big expressive eyes" is a root requirement for expressive character design). But I'm not here to ruin people's fun. (unlike what people keep interpreting me as doing)

2. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    The guy only said that was his impression. He didn't mean that this is what SHOULD happen. Why do you have to exaggerate?

3. octobotimus

octobotimus The figure’s back matters

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why am I being quoted ? I didn’t exaggerate anything :p 

4. Magnum Dongus

Magnum Dongus Stupid Idiot

I heard an idea for the Bumblebee sequel (I can’t remember from who) but I really liked it, which said that sector seven could somehow reverse engineer the two triple changers as well as Blitzwing, then use their knowledge to rebuild Blitzwing into a triple changer body, making him the primary antagonist and giving him a more accurate role.

• Like Like x 2
  5. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I remember hearing that one to, it sounded like a great idea (for blitzing to come back), but the humans creating a living being was not a good part of it :/

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Sounds like something Lorenzo would do.

7. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    Very Agree.
    And the Blitzwing is mainly wishful on the fans part to right a big wrong.

I don't think it does. Lorenzo would say something totally inaccurate about Transformers canon, which he believes in his own world.
    Like,
    "Blitzwing will be revived in his original train mode. Then Megatron will usurp command from him; just like all this happened in the original G1 cartoon."

• Like Like x 2
  8. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    There's been 6 movies with a lot of human involvement. Building transformers sounds like KSI all over again.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Why do we have to have the humans immediately start making their own Transformers? The whole point of the franchise is that the vehicle modes are a disguise for the robots to move around on Earth so the humans don't know about them. With certain exceptions, the humans are supposed to be nothing more than the local wildlife to the entire conflict. It's like if you had a film about two farmers with adjacent farms going to war with each other, except somehow the actual main focus shifts to the love story between two cows that have nothing to do with the farmer war.

• Like Like x 7
  10. MindChamber

MindChamber Multi-Media-Masta

Bringing her back would be a dumb move. And I'm surprised he doesnt see the similarities with this and Bays version Sam pretty much tries to leave it Everytime.. it's time for them to move on and introduce new people...

Also while I liked what he did with Bumblebee he still doesn't have full control.. Bumblebee would've been a terrible prequel if TLK didnt fail.. hard to give someone so much credit for being a fan, when he really has no control..

• Like Like x 2
  11. octobotimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ah yes, so little control that he decided whether megs was in the movie or not, got to change designs around, and changed the movie in the last stretch to be a reboot, and decided what the characters are like/act. Wow, how little control he had.

• Like Like x 4
  12. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    I forget exactly how he died, but maybe his spark could still be barely alive...

13. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Except if they were going to go the prequel route, they would have just kept the original plot where Bee came down to Earth to protect humans (like the deleted opening scene suggested)—making it a not so terrible prequel continuity-wise. Luckily, TLK failed and we're now proceeding with a reboot.

• Like Like x 3
  14. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    How Bumblebee Should Have Ended

• Like Like x 3
  15. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If that's the whole point then I'd lose interest from constant stagnation of repeating the same formula. It's the same thing if humans build Transformers, don't get me wrong. I understand we had uh...5-6 movies with humans in them but um, we'd face the same problem with a different skin.

You know how people say the whole point of superheroes is that they should never reveal their identities to the public? I'd hate to break it, but that rule can be broken. Iron Man can do it. Superman can do it. Even Batman has done it. You take things in directions, it may not play right... But at least, we have the direction there.

Prime example: You remember when Batman killed people in BvS, as much as I don't like it, Zach Synder had a pretty good response to it and I can at least show more respect than contempt.
    EDIT: Minus the movie clip near the end.

Also you do realise the last point sounds exactly like Romeo and Juliet right? Two rival families are at war with each other while the son and daughter of their respective families fall in love with each other. Yeah, I can only imagine the cows jumping into the slaughterhouse together and the farmers are like, "Oh no, what have I done...."

I hope you get my point here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    It's a foundation - you can't honestly look at any given version of Transformers except the live action films and tell me they aren't mainly about an alien civil war, just in different ways.

The movies don't count anymore because the war ended in DOTM. As I've been told many times, apparently Decepticons do not fucking exist in AoE, so without Decepticons, there is no civil war.

Nobody has ever said this. EVER. Because it's dumb when you consider super heroes who don't have secret identities. Dr. Strange, Luke Cage, the Fantastic Four, etc.

Or the Punisher, a.k.a. Frank Castle. He doesn't wear a mask and he genuinely doesn't care if people know his real name, because all he does care about is killing bad guys.

No, because I had better things to do than watch that shit.

No, because once again you didn't get my point. My point is that the film is supposed to be about one thing but ends up being about a completely different thing while the original plot is going on as a secondary plot.

Because who the fuck gives a shit about the humans in a film called TRANSFORMERS? Are the titular alien space robots so goddamn boring that the film makers actually had to come up with bullshit like the wildly inaccurate and invalid Romeo and Juliet card scene (invalid because if Tessa is age 17, then she is by Texas State Law a legal adult, meaning Cade is blowing smoke out of his ass over nothing) to fill time, as opposed to actually interesting shit like, I dunno, interacting with the robots while they are cars? Oh, no, wait, I forgot, apparently the transformers stop being sentient living things when they change form and can no longer fucking talk. Except when they can for jokes like the ice cream twins at the beginning of ROTF.

Like, there are ways to work around the limitations of CGI when you have characters who are literally vehicular props and are always just voiced over characters anyway. But no, even having the humans have conversations with their cars is too much, so they have to fill time with unrelated bullshit like romeo and juliet, or how much sex Mark Whalberg isn't getting. Because that's what apparently you're saying people want when they pay for a ticket to see a film not about how much sex Mark Whalberg is not getting.

• Like Like x 2
  17. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The movies don't count anymore because the war ended in DOTM. In other words, the MCU movies don't count anymore because half of the important characters died. Thanos has won. End of story.

It's a foundation for sure, but it shouldn't exclude other possibilities. If pretty much every Transformers is mainly just about Autobots vs. Decepticons, then it's limited. Isn't that why stuff like Beast Wars and Rescue Bots exist?

Like Star Wars can be about the Jedi vs. Sith, all it wants. But you can do stuff like smugglers, bounty hunters or soldiers.

See? Those guys break the mold, don't they?

You don't have to follow that rule.

Such as?

Looking for ways to express your love for AOE or looking for posts to hit the like button on?

I mean I'm not forcing you to watch it but 2 minutes of your time can't be too much right?

Yeah....Um... As much as the movie has problems, I don't think that Romeo and Juliet plot was the entire plot.

And before you write off stuff as 'irrelevant'. Irrelevancy is not the same thing as 'not knowing'. If you 'knew' about the stuff I'm talking about, we could have a much more interesting conversation.

• Like Like x 1
  18. transf0

transf0 “Well Connected” The GOAT

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Oh, come on. He is good, but Nolan, Lord & Miller, James Wan, Russo Bros, Wachowski Sisters, etc. exist.

• Like Like x 4
  19. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    It seemed so to me.

20. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually, I suspect Travis Knight actually gained more control due to the failure of the the Last Knight.

When that flopped, the big boys in Paramount probably distanced themselves from Bumblebee, to avoid the stigma of another possible failure. I mean, the Last Knight was a disaster that they probably never saw coming.

I can see them still reeling from it when Knight offers his pitch for a different, less Bayverse-type story. The big boys at Paramount have nothing to lose, and they're panicking. They basically dump everything in Knight's lap, and if things go wrong, they could always blame Knight (that kind of thing is not uncommon. Where I work the management have a tendency to shift the blame to the regular staff. Even the things they're supposed to be responsible for. ).. (Also, Boniventura mentions in a interview that he had concerns about Knight's way of doing things but they were ignored. He was probably told to shut his mouth and let the guy do his own thing. I imagine Paramount reckoned that if Bumblebee turned out to be a disaster, at least it wouldn't be another Bayverse disaster.).

In effect, it was a 'Give the audiences a robot movie to watch while we figure out what to do about the Bayverse' type of situation. Bumblebee was really meant to be just a filler movie.

Now Knight found himself with the beginnings of a typical Bayverse-style movie, and set about altering it to suit his own true preferences, making it more G1, less 'dark' (and dumb) and closer to the original spirit of Transformers. We can still recognise parts from the original version, though, which sometimes confuses people.

Basically he effectively created his own live-action Transformers movie continuity. I imagine if the higher-ups in Paramount had known just how well Bumblebee would be received, they would have insisted that Knight maintain a closer connection to their beloved Bayverse. I imagine from the perspective of at least some of them, Bumblebee was too successful.

Paramount have now found themselves in an awkward situation. The live action Transformers continuity that they themselves really prefer isn't too popular right now. But even worse, they pretty much accidentally (imo) let someone create 'a new storyteling universe' of the sort that many have wanted all along - something which they had insisted for years was never possible, or even viable.

By letting Knight work on his, what was meant to be a kind of throwaway movie, that they never really cared about (if they really had, you can pretty much bet Knight would have been given less 'control'), they effectively shot themselves in the foot. Not only do they they have an uphill struggle getting audiences to return to the Bayverse, they now have the rival Knightverse to deal with.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 4