Travis Knight Comments On Why Bumblebee Left Charlie

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Music, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    From this article.

A sequel is reportedly in development to the film, and screenwriter Christina Hodson says she knows what she would do with it, but the film ended fairly definitively, breaking up the Bumblebee/Charlie partnership and sending the Transformer on his way to meet up with Optimus Prime and meet his destiny with the rest of the surviving Autobots. Asked whether he regretted that decision, Knight admitted that it was sad, but remains sure that it was the right move for the movie.

"I'm sure a creative mind could come up with a way to bring them back together, but it was always incredibly important to me that this film, even though it sits within a larger context of mythology and comics and cartoons and films, that this film be self contained that it lives on its own," Knight told ComicBook.com. "That it had a beginning, it had a middle and an end and it had proper resolution. And so as I was charting the relationship between these two character there was no other way for it to end. It had to end with them parting. It's about one of those relationships, one of those life changing relationships that where someone comes into your orbit and fundamentally changes your trajectory moving forward. And it was, he has his mission to do and he has to go do it and she has her life and she has to live and she has to go live it. And they change each others lives, but then they had to part and that was the story that I was telling. And so even though I love seeing them together, and I was sad when they had to part as well. It was critical for what this movie was."

• Like Like x 36
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Dear lord, he sure has put a lot of thinking and effort to that particular scene. How is this man keep getting awesome?

• Like Like x 38
  3. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would think if both would meet up again after the TLK movie, she will be in her 40's.

• Like Like x 3
  4. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    This guy really gives a crap about what he's doing. Well done sir!

• Like Like x 28
  5. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Who The Hell Do You Think I Am?

YouTube (Legacy):
    My god, he might just be the best director of our time.

• Like Like x 8
  6. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

Remember when Bay passionately discussed storytelling, character dynamics and Transformers as characters in interviews? Yeah, me neither.

• Like Like x 31
  7. Trip2boy

Trip2boy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This man is a GENIUS! I am definitely hoping he returns in some form or fashion to TF. As it stands, I'm fine with his leaving and going back to Laika. More creative juices are what we need, and restricting that to just one guy this early on might be a big mistake. However, I would be ecstatic if he came back one day, even if it was sooner rather than later.

• Like Like x 9
  8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Yet she had a pretty long walk home.

Maybe she could find her bike that she left on the street a day or 2 prior...

• Like Like x 11
  9. WarLordFoxxy

WarLordFoxxy Banned

A nice reunion between Charlie, Sam, and Bee.

• Like Like x 3
  10. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    I think it would be neat to have a series of movies with new humans for each movie. The robots would be the constants, and the humans would only stick around one film. This would be a good way to make the Transformers the overall main focus, while still being able to give the humans a lot of screentime in the individual movies (which, let's face it, is inevitable). As long as they didn't stick around, they wouldn't feel too intrusive. Imagine what the first trilogy would have been like if Sam had only been in the first movie, and ROTF and DOTM had different human protagonists. It wouldn't have felt like "Sam's trilogy". (I would actually have liked those sequels far more). Even Cade kind of overstayed his welcome after AOE.

As much as I liked Charlie, I'm not sure I want to see her again, beyond maybe a quick cameo. She had a complete arc, and there's not a lot else to do with her. The Transformers are kind of like the Doctor from Doctor Who. They've seen far more in their lifetimes than a human will ever experience. Sure, they can absolutely form friendships with humans, but the idea of a lifelong bond is kind of silly to me. I never liked the whole "Sam's guardian" thing in the first trilogy. Not necessarily the idea of Bumblebee guarding Sam, but the idea that they had some kind of super special bond beyond that. Bumblebee will still be young long after Sam is dead and gone. It honestly kind of makes sense to me that Bumblebee essentially forgot him during AOE and TLK. Can you imagine the amount of beings that Bumblebee has befriended and guarded over the course of his lifetime? I used to hang out daily with people that I barely think about now. You keep some friends, and leave behind others. I can't imagine how amplified that would be for a being that's been around for millennia. The Autobots are Bumblebee's "best friends", people like Sam (and sadly even Charlie) are more like the kind he'll eventually have to leave behind.

The idea of a series where Charlie tags along on Autobot adventures sounds like fun in-theory, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I can't imagine Optimus would be thrilled to have a liability tagging along during battles and whatnot. The only reason that worked for Sam and Cade was because they were kind of overpowered, and "chosen by destiny". Do we really want that with Charlie too? I'd prefer a series where random people get swept up in their adventure, but then move on at the end.

• Like Like x 13
  11. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Glad to see that’s what he was aiming for because that’s exactly what I thought when I watched it. Charlie was great. Probably the most down to earth character of the Transformers movies, but there’s no good way to bring her back without resorting to something stupid. I’d even go as far as saying it would ruin her arc if she returned.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the idea of Charlie as an 'ordinary girl', but one whose kindness towards an alien refugee ultimately influenced the course of Transformers history.

Bumblebee will inevitably move on to achieve great things, but Charlie will always be his 'first (human) love' (so to speak), the one who taught him to appreciate Earth, and perhaps, through him, influenced the Autobots into becoming the allies and protectors of humanity..

Saying that, I wouldn't mind the Autobots eventually getting involved with a Knightverse version of the Witwicky family (who are more like the Transformers comic versions, rather than the Bayverse clan)
    and having them involved in their adventures.

In the end, though, it all comes back to Charlie. I like her, but for a Transformers movie series, it would serve the overall story better (imo) if she carries on with her normal life instead of getting involved in the further adventures of the Autobots. I don't want Charlie becoming the Transformers version of Sarah Connor. Instead, being a normal, ordinary girl is what makes her special. And perhaps she may be gone, but she won't be forgotten.

EDIT: I wouldn't mind a few Charlie flashbacks, though. And it would be kind of poignant, several movies in, to see Bumblebee playing back his memories of her.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 11
  13. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Bounty Hunter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I definitely agree. I actually wouldn't mind a touching scene where Charlie runs into Bumblebee again (maybe slightly older), and they share a moment, but it should be a cameo. I don't think she should have an active role in the adventure moving forward.

I also think it would be neat to see the Witwickys in this timeline. Spike (or Buster) and Sparkplug this time. Maybe also a version of Carly who's more accurate to the cartoon. Thankfully they can't cast Shia LaBeouf in the role, because of how problematic he's been recently. Besides that, he's probably be a bit too old for a new incarnation of the character.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I thought it was pretty obvious.

15. Gzstg

Gzstg Autobot Historian, Armada Dub Defender

that's cool I liked a lot of the story elements from the 2007 movie and hope they bring some of those ideas back in this new universe.

16. BlackHawkOmega

BlackHawkOmega Just trying my best.

News Credits:
    I honestly would want Charlie to come back, because it was nice to have a human character in a TF movie who was... likable?

It's a nice change of pace after 10 years, isn't it.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

I liked the completeness of her role. If they crossed paths again, I think I'd prefer it as an aside, more as a brief shout out to jazz the attentive fans, you know?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I realize it’s low hanging fruit, but man, it’s nice to get a director who gives a shit about making a good movie.

And honestly? I agree with him 100%. Beginning, middle, end. If they ever make a “final” Transformers movie however, they should definitely bring Charlie back for a cameo reunion with Bee as part of some ending scene montage.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Aimless Misfire

Aimless Misfire Banned

News Credits:
    “[The movie] had a beginning, it had a middle and an end and it had proper resolution. And so as I was charting the relationship between these two character there was no other way for it to end. It had to end with them parting."

Sure there was another way for it to end! The good ending where a Decepticon steps on her & then blows Bumblebee's fuckin head off. My ending!

I mean c'mon people, seriously. The Decepticons were powerful & smart enough to win the war & drive the Autobots off the planet of Cybertron. Then when they get to Earth they're complete bumbling idiots that don't know how to fight. They always just stand there & let Bumblebee climb all over them until he rips them apart & kills them. Are you actually you buying that shit? Because I sure as hell ain't.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Ramjet555

Ramjet555 Well-Known Member

Pay him as much as you need for him to come back. Everyone has a price. Bring Knight back to this franchise.

• Like Like x 5