Minor/Repaint: Transmetal Megatron... that won't crumble.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by gargunkle, Jul 28, 2010.

1. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I love this figure (and the character) but the US release somehow was plagued by a decay over time (as many of you know, no doubt).

The Japanese version doesn't have this problem, but it's a bit more expensive.

However, the Armada Predacon recolor is pretty easy to come by. I got a junker in an ebay lot for cheap. The burgundy parts of Predacon were dyed black. I had to add paint to the eyes on Megatron's robot mode head and chest, and his robot teeth. I'm incredibly satisfied with the result: a Megatron that won't self-destruct.

I found that a number of parts were remolded between Megatron and Predacon. For example, the joint between the upper and lower arms was resized, so my custom here actually has the old middle part of the arms (or else the forearms woul have been all floppy).

The funny thing to me is that my Megatron was actually in one piece up until the time I started this custom. However, on transforming/disassembling him, he broke in at least 5 places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Whelpd

Whelpd Well-Known Member

What this decay problem everyone talks about I have had mine since it first came out and played with it lots when I was yonger and have had no decay

3. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be careful transforming it.. Basically because of how they made the gold plastic with little flakes in it, it didn't mix properly.. And because of such there are hair line fractures that form due to the flakes so when you transform it the fig crumbles..

Gold Plastic Syndrome - Transformers Wiki

That being said.. your TM Megs looks great man!

4. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    Nice custom. Very nice work. And yeah, I had two of these crumble on me. Such an odd and saddening thing when it happens.

5. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's kinda sad that I didn't know about GPS until my TM Megatron was already destroyed. I was actually trying to repair a little stressed area on one of his arm hinges when a bit snapped off. I asked my dad if he could get the pin out so I could try to glue it back together and he just ended up destroying the whole thing. What's worse is at the time I had the perfect opportunity to get Predacon to replace him with and I just up and forgot :( 

6. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Originally I had gotten a complete Armada Predacon just to have the mold (in case mine broke) but then I realized I'd be happier with a full Megatron so I got another. (The second Predacon I got was far from complete but had the basic body parts I needed.)

While working on this project, it occurred to me how awesome it would look to have a black and silver TM Megs (similar to the Fox Kids TM Tarantulas). I might do that someday - primarily if I can figure out an easy way to get the goofy green and orange paint applications off of Predacon.

7. Death333

Death333 aliases: Dx3, Dr. Whiffington, Hellscr333m

News Credits:
    91% alcoholic. Easy to purchase and works like a charm. I usually just dump the alcohol in a piece of tupperware, drop the parts in and a few hours later, pull them out and wipe the paint right off.

8. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Thanks, I may give that a try.

9. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Wow this is news to me. I've never heard pf the crumbling problem before. I sold my Megs years ago so I don't know if it's held up or not. BTW your Megs looks very good.

10. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

There's a slightly more expensive alternative too; get the Japanese release, which didn't use the swirly plastic, and has none of the breakage issues.

11. ---The RAt

---The RAt Well-Known Member

that is one of the best solutions to tm megs GPS that I've seen yet. I like it, though it seems odd to see a custom that looks 100% stock in appearance :p 

You know being that most of TM megs are now shattered tm megs by now(not to be confused with shattered universe TM megatron who would have to be made out of something indestructible, so that he could never suffer from GPS) If hasrbo were to put him and tm prime out for a future beastie anniversary editions. I know that megatron would sell like hotcakes.

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is SO true, I'd buy one just to have a second, as mine broke and I bought a Japanese version frroooommm..... I don't even remeber the online retailers name, but I think he was out of like, Hawaii or something. As for the custom, is looks great solrac!! Man, you putting this one out, and sentinalprime putting up that Terrorsaur makes me want to post my BW customs though they are far and few between.

13. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very good, can't even tell it's not the real deal

14. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my one suggestion would be to put some purple on the faux beast head on the chest.

looks cool either way and is something i'm considering to do after mine's arms and neck crumbled away

15. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

In person you can tell it's a little different from the real thing. There are minor differences like the body actually being darker than the original brown, I didn't apply purple to the head and chests like mentioned, and the hip/tail attachment thing being black. I might actually try the purple but I don't have any metallic purple and I am not sure my dry brushing skills are up to the challenge.

16. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gargunkle, I might have an extra tail for ya buddy :thumb . Let me look when I get home, and I'll PM ya dood.

17. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Well, I appreciate the thought but I don't strictly need another tail now. I would have to get another Armada Predacon to use for another custom. All I have right now are a few Predacon parts (like the shoulders) and crumbly bits of Megatron. :) 

18. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

werd. i've had mine since it first came out.. and after all these years.. its still in tack..

19. AE Overlord

AE Overlord AE Legend

Ebay:
    My TM Megs suffered from GPS and cracked right at the shoulder hinge that connects the arms to the chest peice and the one above it that hinges the large shoulderpad section. both of which was the left side.
    back on topic. this repaint looks killer and I couldn't tell it at first either.

20. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I always thought it was the brown plastic that broke on TM Megatron not the gold.... at least that's what happened to mine.