Translucent plastic syndrome

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tfcollector97, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. ApocalypseThruster

ApocalypseThruster Local “Why aren’t they here?!” Poster

News Credits:
    Speaking of Jazz, has anyone seen if the Jazz repack in the newest wave (the Bee/Jolt/Gnaw wave) is sturdier?

3. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

I sincerely doubt it.

4. ApocalypseThruster

ApocalypseThruster Local “Why aren’t they here?!” Poster

News Credits:
    I mean, it’s been over half a year since the SS86 Jazz mold got released (December 2020), and there’ve been running changes that’ve come to figures that’ve come out in the interim (Blackarachnia’s chest tab, Galvatron’s shoulders, and I THINK Tracks’s legs are also getting fixed too?), so this isn’t outside the realm of possibility.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well sir, you have my apologies for doubting.
    Just verified that the windshield on mine does indeed have that tiny crack in it. It's so small and unobtrusive that I actually thought it was detailing.
    Now I can't unsee it and will need a second one for bot mode.
    Damn.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Leopold Xerovsky

Leopold Xerovsky Capricious Chill

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I can't remember if I've modified mine, so my experience may be different, but I've found gently turning the rear of the car upwards works to disengage the two roof tabs without stress. Thankfully only his shoulders and knees have suffered (gotten loosey goosey) after all this time. I mean, I could cut down those tabs just to be sure, but I don't know how that's gonna affect stuff lining up, so better to not I suppose.

7. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    I've been giving my son my old hotwheels cars from the 80s and 90s. One in particular was a Shelby Cobra which is a roadster with an unsupported transparent windshield. It crumbled with barely a touch! I noticed that the pieces of the clear windshield had a yellowish tint to them, something which none of the other hotwheels of the same age/ stored in the same conditions had developed. This makes me think of old carded figures where some percentage turns yellow/brown and the rest stay clear indefinitely, supposedly related to the mix of the plastic that went into the mold.

I wonder if there is something similar at work where some figures just have a poor mix and by luck of the draw, some crumble and some are ok? Obviously, transparent plastic is always going to be less flexible/more brittle than opaque ABS or PVC, etc but it seems that there could be something else to this...

Where are our plastic experts?

• Like Like x 1
  8. volatus

volatus .

I can't claim to be an expert of anything. But I'm reasonably sure that these issues with 86 Jazz are caused by the insertion of the pin that connects the clear roof to his back. It makes sense, think of the torque they're putting on the space between the two halves of the hinge the pin is forced into. I just looked at mine much more closely, and while the crack is much smaller than the one on any of yours and doesn't extend to the roof, it's there. I'm sure if I continue to play with this toy, it will deepen and eventually crack it.

Here's a pic. It's actually two cracks that aren't connected to one another, which may be why the crack stopped progressing on my copy; each one relieves pressure on a different side and they don't flow into one another as a result.

A heat gun may heal this crack, but I'm afraid to try and would rather just leave it alone.

JazzCrack.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  9. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

Checked my Jazz. Thankfully I see no cracking on his clear plastic. Shone a light to double check and couldn’t see any obvious cracks. That said, I still plan on buying a backup however. For those curious, he went through 1 back and forth transformation out of the box, and was put in an open cabinet for display where he has been since I got him, so about 6 months at this point.

10. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

Wow lol. That's worse than both of mine!

Good for you. One of mine cracked more just sitting in car mode. I stopped transforming him after I found the crack and the crack just got longer haha.

That's why I bought a second copy which was cracked right out of the box. We shouldn't have to buy backup copies though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. volatus

volatus .

Pics!

Show me your crack, big boi!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. R3M1NGT0N

Exactly. That’s my problem with TF’s in recent years. My SS Barricade is holding up fine, but he’s been in car mode for at least a year. Saw the Buzzworthy 2-pack and was tempted to buy it so I had a back up figure. Got SS Cliffjumper and Topsin and both had cracks in the clear plastic hinges of their car roofs out of the packaging. I don’t mind clear plastic, but I also don’t like double dipping as an insurance policy in case the hinges decide to break completely.

14. volatus

volatus .

Just be aware that the repack does NOT have the "To enslave and punish..." tampo, which is a big dealbreaker for me...

15. R3M1NGT0N

Didn’t know that… damn. Well he’d stay in bot mode so I’m not sure if the missing detail would bother me that much. It’d take away from the vehicle mode for sure though.

• Like Like x 1