Translucent plastic syndrome

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tfcollector97, Dec 1, 2020.

1. combinerlover

combinerlover MONSTRUCTOR's BFF ;)

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ive never had any issues with any plastics aside Gold, and the Navy blue plastic used on G1 Combaticon Onslaught.

2. 8bitboy

8bitboy Well-Known Member

Suggestions?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    EXACTLY!

There isn't a "hollow plastic syndrome", that you being as uncreative as the designers who put in the hollowness.
    Translucent plastic isn't affected by any kind of syndrome, its just naturally brittle and will break if manhandled.

Gold Plastic Syndrome is much more accurately titled as Metallic Plastic Syndrome as in the '90s and '00s, it wasn't just gold plastic the was effected, gold was just the most common color they did the metallic plastic with. It crumbled due to the failure of the metallic paint/coating failing to bond with the plastic, causing them to slowly self destruct.

• Like Like x 6
  4. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks. Sorry to hear about your Starscream.

I’ve had my own share of bad luck with chemical interactions mainly trying to paint or touchup low-risk parts figures with crap like white-out and spray paint, leaving them gooey, tacky messes.

5. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

Sorry to resurrect a thread this old, but felt more sensical than just adding another thread with the same subject.

The issue of translucent plastic is getting worse and worse. SS86 Jazz and Kingdom Tracks represent a real problem that needs to be addressed, and I'm concerned Hasbro is either unaware of the issue, or is aware of it and just doesn't care.

• Like Like x 1
  6. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I’ve personally never had issues with translucent plastic. That said, many people have and there are well documented cases of common breakages across figures. SS Barricade’s ball joint is one of the more common ones. So Hasbro has to be aware to some degree that the plastic is a bit less sturdy. But I believe it’s also a cost cutting measure. Sections made of clear plastic have existed since the brand’s launch. But during the UT and original Bay trilogy we’d get clear plastic windows screwed on to regular plastic, which was sturdy, but likely also expensive, hence why it isn’t a common method anymore. It’s just cheaper to create a large clear plastic mold and paint over it.

7. volatus

volatus Cat Herder

T30 scoop's roof broke off very very easily minutes after taking it out of the box, but it's a very old figure that sat in the package for a long time before I got it.

Scoop_3.jpg

The clear yellow Soundbarrier that came with Netflix Optimus also lost a ball joint, while I was removing him from the plastic shell. As someone pointed out more than a year ago in this thread, though, that seems to be an engineering issue.

My 86 Jazz is fine, my Kingdom Tracks seems fine, my Siege and Earthrise Datsuns are fine in terms of their clear plastic not breaking. Windows and canopies on my other figures with clear plastic seem to be OK so far.

8. JJJ

JJJ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or just possibly it isn't an issue at all.

9. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    When will Hasbro address Toy I Don't Like Syndrome.

• Like Like x 5
  10. blastoff2334

blastoff2334 Just a Guy.

News Credits:
    I think syndrome is a stretch lol. But I have only had one issue so far, SS Shadow raider’s windshield transformation clip decided it had enough and all I did was just touch it to move the hood to transform it and one came off

• Like Like x 1
  11. WallflowerBlush

WallflowerBlush Well-Known Member

This!
    Fembot Galvatrons ship?
    Noo
    We get the ark! Stupiddd

12. OptimusTarzan

OptimusTarzan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm on my second copy of Jazz. The 1st one's windshield cracked after 3 transformations. The 2nd one was cracked out of box. On this forum, I have never seen an uncracked Jazz windshield, unless people don't tab in the windshield as some have for fear of cracking. Some people think their windshield is fine, until I point out the crack in their pic.

I think they are aware but too expensive to make changes mid production cycle. If they release a Stepper, it'll probably be the same. But thankfully I haven't noticed issues on other figures. Surprised Tracks hasn't cracked yet!

13. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ten transformations in:
    20210526_070956.jpg 20210526_071515.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. OptimusTarzan

News Credits:
  15. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll have to check when I get home, but I believe that is just an angle of the plastic near the supporting piece. It never registered with me as a crack or defect.
    Also, no need for the snark.

16. OptimusTarzan

News Credits:
    That's exactly what the other guy said when I pointed it out. He thought it was just a reflection. When he got home, he confirmed cracked. Not trying to be smart. Just that many copies have cracks and most people don't realize it lol.

My 2 copies: 2nd never transformed.

20210624_094505.jpg 20210624_094333.jpg 20210624_094216.jpg

17. Racer_J

Racer_J Permanently logged out . . .

I love translucent plastic as "glass" (I don't think I would care if I hadn't grown up with it) but, they are going to either have to start working designs around it (e.g. Kingdom Huffer) and/or thickening/reinforcing it or, they're going to have to ditch it. That's coming from someone that has only had one issue with it since the 80s (one of RID2K Prowl's door's ball-socket cups snapped off, I don't recall which door). I'm shocked that my RTS SO Jazz doesn't have issues because, the amount of pressure required to get to get the roof attached to the rear of the vehicle on my copy is beyond absurd (and OMG at the sound that all of the plastic makes when I move or touch anything; common for a lot of stuff from that era).

I don't have my copy of SS86 Jazz yet but, based on videos I can't see anyway to alter the transformation to alliterative the force/tension required for the windshield to the hood connection like I can with Kingdom Tracks. I wonder if/when we'll start seeing 3rd Party and aftermarket repair kits for SS86 Jazz that replaces the entire glass/roof section . . .

• Like Like x 1
  18. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's how I feel as well - everyone is quick to blame translucent plastic and never stops to see that just about every listed issue is thin hinges that are easy to manhandle if you aren't being careful. Not ragging on the OP but the listed figures are: tiny, tiny, very small and finicky deluxe, two deluxes with thin hinges. And as others have said, since you can see through it... any normal stress is going to be more apparent.

Likewise the only problem I've ever had is TR Weirdwolf which was a genuinely widespread inevitability. I've owned dozens of car characters with clear windows and many others with translucent plastic, never a single problem. I think the real "syndrome" is smaller, more complex toys you can barely get your hands on that make it far easier to break things if you aren't exercising caution.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

I've transformed mine back and forth a few times (carefully), but I've never once plugged anything into that 5mm port on top.
    2021-09-22 11.46.24.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. OptimusTarzan

News Credits:
    Wow bro! Yeah my 1st copy is starting to crack down the middle too. I plugged the blaster into the roof once! SMH..

• Like Like x 1