Transforming Dino-Cassettes Join a Retro '80s Bumblebee For This Comic-Con Exclusive

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by AzT, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I'm just confused on why one cassette is recolored but not the other. Especially since they combine and have one as a Decepticon now. Unless BOTH are being recolored and one wasn't quite ready yet so they showed the vintage as a place holder...

Bumblebee vs 2 dinosaur cassettes that can form a larger robot makes a lot more sense than Bumblebee and a cassette vs another cassete that would be "evil pants" for Bumblebee's companion...

2. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Tokyo, Japan (Originally from Los Angeles)
    Ebay:
    Makes me wonder with another Autobot cassette if masterpiece Blaster will eventually come out.

3. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Care for a piece of milk?

Proof that Hasbro has lost touch with fans: inclusion of a BB in this set. :lol 

I don't doubt the majority of TF fans would pay out the nose for JUST the cassettes (either for their personal collections or for selling at a profit). Let me be clear: Hasbro toy sales are in a slump and their administrative/distribution/production costs are rising; why add a superfluous deluxe toy? :eek: 

Personally, it kind of annoys me to see G1 RARITIES shoehorned with the Bay-movie junk. The tapes are almost a bribe to get us to try out the new Studio Series toys. :sly:  But no: Hasbro super-spammed the Studio Series, so they have unnatural faith in the success of that line.

Question: could Hasbro remove BB from this set and make JUST the cassettes? And what if they made DOUBLE the normal quantities (smaller toys = less plastic/cost per unit)? I would love to not have to stalk HTS for something like this... but I guess that's the nature of the artificial scarcity/SDCC game! :rolleyes2 

EDIT: Why not release the tapes as part of a vintage collection, like G1 Hot Rod @ Walmart?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because this will get out to the masses, because it will sell, because it won't end up in the clearances of Ross, Marshalls and the like. Walmart dropped the ball horribly with TLK Hot Rod, he was available a handful of times on their website, never made it to their physical retail stores outside of a return or two and the rest of them ended up at Ross.

Much like they've handled all of their exclusives as of late. Some stores never got them, actually. This way, between SDCC, HTS and stores like BBTS reselling them, Hasbro can make sure they get to their intended audience instead of Walmart twiddling its thumbs going "We don't NEED to put your stuff out. We sneeze more money than we lost by sitting on your stock. We own you, b!tc#!"

I sincerely doubt we'll see G1 Hot Rod grace the shelves of any Walmart in the US, short of the .com.

5. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Officially licensed OS KO of Scourgatron Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I’m just happy there’s a chance to experience these cassettes. Looking forward to them.

• Like Like x 4
  6. shanoinsano24

shanoinsano24 Scout

If anyone decides to part ways with their Bumblebee, I'd take it off your hands too.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  7. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I parted ways with movie Bumblebee ten years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ZapRowsdower

Absolutely.

But I warn you:

These things are so rare, it will be a BLOOD BATH to get them at SDCC. :lol  At least, if the G1 fans are as numerous as they are vocal.

I just get the feeling these will be incredibly limited because, as I said before, Hasbro seems to have no idea what will sell with fans. They absolutely should have thrown out BB and made more sets of cassettes. Unfortunately, they're OBSESSED with pushing the movies, even when rare G1 toys are enough. :rolleyes2 

Good luck in getting these. I suspect the boards will explode with complaints once these sell out (i.e. more fans will be unable to get them than the ones who can get them!).

• Like Like x 1
  9. ZapRowsdower

You make excellent points... sadly. :(  I can't argue with any of that.

But I don't like BBTS prices: they're jacked up. I'd rather risk Walmart carrying these than to have BBTS charge $100+ and still sell out. :banghead: 

The one fact you missed is this: Walmart is HUGE. Unlike BBTS, they can order exclusives in HUNDREDS OF CASES. BBTS won't risk ordering a boats-worth of these (why would they? They already took a bit of a bath with the Piranacon exclusive, no?). So even if Walmart failed to properly put these out, I absolutely don't mind finding them cheaper at Ross. The main idea being that Walmart would theoretically order so many of these sets that scalpers may be thwarted and you wouldn't be forced to pay $60+ per cassette (or more).

But your points are absolutely valid. Thanks for the reply! :) 

10. Gamerlingual

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only movie figure I have interest in is SS Grimlock but don’t care for any other figure. The only way people can speak is with their wallets. Hopefully Bayverse toys will go the way of the Dinobots

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Question about ordering exclusives on ebay.

Is it best to preorder them or is it best to wait till the end of SDCC when they actually have the item?

12. ZapRowsdower

One thousand times yes! :thumb 

You'd also think that the stores themselves might complain at some point... given that we now have TLK AND Studio Series toys shelf-warming (often next to each other). Clearly, the stores pay no attention to unsold merch and rely exclusively on Hasbro to tell them what to stock. And unfortunately, Hasbro has tunnel-vision with the movie toys.

If things keep going like this? I fear the TF toy line will become like every other Summer Movie toy line. :(  Hasbro needs a serious TV winner in order to get us out of the movie-funk... but all of their cartoon efforts seem to be failing lately.

And to be technical: Bayverse toys are on their way out anyway. The BB movie is veering away from his hideous design choices, and the latest TF movie box office fails will ensure that the movie TFs get a significant redesign for the next set of movies.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Gamerlingual

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait after. You’ll know they actually have it because some may refund you if they fail to get the product.

14. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    That is all I wanted to know!

15. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Glad these are getting released but seems like a lame way to go about it.

16. Gamerlingual

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is the first transformers toy I look forward to buying since the Bruticus set since 2012 I believe? Other comic con exclusives have shown up to stores in Japan. But in this case I really want these. I have my max cap price but here’s hoping it won’t be what I’m thinking in my head.

17. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    You know what the problem is. I am looking at the preorder of what I want and the price is just going higher and higher. So if someone did have it in stock, I'm afraid of how much it will be.

18. Gamerlingual

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best I can say is follow your heart and mind. I can only offer what may seem to work best. But if you feel otherwise, follow what you think is best.

19. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I know preordering is risky, but buying when in stock might be more expensive. I need to think of the pros and cons. Plus I intend to get 2 of them. One to open and one to keep in package.

20. Gamerlingual

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I hope you get what you want and give you best wishes. Good luck :)