Transforming - An overly obvious weakness that's never exploited.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GAUGE, Dec 28, 2014.

1. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Generally a bot transforms maybe once per battle, only more if they see a good opportunity...

The vulnerability of mid transformation, if you ask me, is not more vulnerability to damage, but while doing so you can't really shoot or move all that well. So faster is better, getting stuck is bad, but a bot normally isn't made too vulnerable even if they transform mid fight, since they normally do so only if they really need the advantages of their other mode.

2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Beast Wars contributed to the pile:

"Double Jeapordy"
    - Rattrap blasts Tarantulus in mid-transformation.

"Call of the Wild"
    - Everyone is stuck in their beast modes for so long, that their animal instincts take over.

3. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

Anyone notice their names are switched for Top spin and Twin Twist.

4. Onslaught24

Onslaught24 Stop on red but leave on amber Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Oh how I wish attacking a transforming enemy were possible in WFC/FOC. Bastards use their transformation to be impervious to melee somehow.

Also, there was a situation in International Incident in the ongoing series where Prime and the Autobots had to stay in vehicle form to fight Vortex, Brawl, and Onslaught so as to keep the US in the dark about their presence overseas. Despite having guns strapped to their alt modes (something the Cybertronian forms were good at) and outnumbering the Combaticons, they ended up losing with Jetfire being slung into Broadside. Vortex even said "Why won't you transform!? You're sitting ducks like this!"

5. E Nice

E Nice Well-Known Member

This would be supported by The Ultimate Weapon. Metroplex and Trypticon had their transformation cogs stolen and replaced with incompatible ones, which led to an awkward battle for both.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Haha, old news I'm afraid. Aside from the Jumpstarters other notable tech spec errors are Starscream/Skywarp/Thundercracker specs being mixed up and most famously Sideswipe and Sunstreaker'sbios being swapped.

On topic, maybe it's a Cybertronian politeness thing?

*Accidentally shoots 'Con mid transformation*
    'Did you just shoot me? In mid transformation?!'
    'Oh I'm sorry man, I don't know what happened! It just went off!'
    'Really? Really? That's not cool man. Not cool. I'm totally telling everyone about you on MyFace.'

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  7. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Similar but different was in Goldran when Dran is combining with Golgon only for Walter to knock Dran away with his new mech of the week and then subsequently uses said mech to combine with golgon himself making a 'Dark Goldran' of sorts.

But ye there has been moments when transformers get hit mid transformation.

8. MaxxieOD

MaxxieOD Jazz is my homebot

News Credits:
    Man I remember that ep as a 2-parter...I think. Either way, I bawled when I watched that one.

I know in J-Decker the Build team was interrupted a couple of times when they tried to combine (like in the ep with the statue that possessed people, as well as the Chieftains interrupting them). They transform way too fast from vehicle to bot form to be interrupted there, but their gattais were often not finished.

9. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Ah yes. Chieftein's sword had the ability to stop them combining. Though they broke through by force of will which was kinda silly but not really all that weird considering the genre lol.

10. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

They transform too quickly. The seekers turn into jet mode everytime they retreat in a losing fight. If they could be shot in mid transformation they would

11. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its poor form to attack another TF while transforming. I SAY, FOUL PLAY THERE OLD CHAP!

12. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Yea, alt-modes normally aren't as good at combat. Or rather I should say, more specialized- cars and trunks tend to have better travel speed, but less good at actual fighting. Tanks can fight well but lose the agility, and yadda yadda. As a lot of TF fighting is fairly urban, the robot mode is often the best for the job.

How each alt mode does in a fight varies bot to bot, so it's hard to make too many generalities, but most bots fight as humanoids for good reason.

13. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

In RiD and the Unicron Trilogy, everyone else just stops and stares in stunned silence as you transform in a psychedelic force field.

14. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Transformations usually happen instantly in the second half of each Unicron Trilogy series

15. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

Ha!

In thinking about this question, it often seems like they actually wait to attack an opponent until after they've transformed. Maybe there's an unspoken code of honor when it comes to that :lol 

16. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Maybe all those moving parts shifting and turning into something else unnerve them. Like a frilled lizard unveiling its frill to scare predators, Transformers make a big deal out of shape-shifting in order to confuse their enemies and stop them from attacking them before they're ready to fight :p 

17. GAUGE

GAUGE Struggling Artist

News Credits:
    In the Animated series it would sometimes show TF's transform in a blurred tornado like sequence in the blink of an eye.

still I think whilst in the midst of transformation it's just long enough to at least fire a few shots or even a glass gun (cliffjumper) or an acid gun (ironhide) at vital exposed joints or sections freezing or wrecking the mechanisms from completing transformation.

in the movie cartoon why did the autobots fight like Stormtroopers and Cobra Troopers and worse Red Shirts? :lol 

I mean, had they bothered to fire at Devastator in mid transformation or at megatron while transforming into a gun while in mid-air before starscream has a chance to catch him, it would have been hella hilarious.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  18. GAUGE

GAUGE Struggling Artist

News Credits:
    One of the coolest things that always intrigued me about transformers is that each autobot and decepticon had various weapons that had different abilities like Tracks being able to fire a blast from his pistol and covered the con's sensors so it couldn't see. it was always funny to me that only starscream was capible of nullifying machinical deviced and other transformers. you'd think wheeljack would have designed an entire arsonal of weaponry capable of ceasing all transformation and functionality for that matter. same as shockwave, or the constructicons.

So much wasted potential to be a really brutal cartoon series. lol you'd think a straight up EMP could completely trash a Cybertronian's system. A mech that can produce an EMP would itself cease to function. ;) 

OH yeah, on another way out there Note: The Junkions had a live action movie before Transformers. It was called "Batteries Not Included"

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    To be fair this happens in almost all fiction when characters are powering up/transforming for a fight.

20. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

Most likely they transform quickly and its slowed down sometimes so the viewer can see