Transformers x GI Joe Film Officially Announced

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shadow25, Apr 11, 2024.

1. John Titor

John Titor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some people have all the luck

A very strong argument could be made that DOTM is just as bad as the others, leaving only the 2007 movie as good/ok.

I don't know how many people have recently tried rewatching DOTM but man, yikes

• Like Like x 2
  2. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    You’ve just proven my point by bringing up both shows. Animated in particular is an egregious example of Hasbro repeatedly meddling with the show’s development and release schedule to bring it closer to the first movie. I also don’t think it’s a coincidence the show was abruptly cancelled right before the release of the second movie.

And then there’s TFP, which tried to copy the tone, action, and style of the movies, which also detrimentally affected the story quality AND the prospects of future shows by repeatedly going over budget without recouping losses.

• Like Like x 6
  3. xyz123

xyz123 Well-Known Member

I agree that it sucks how Animated got cancelled because Hasbro was trying to unify the brand under the live-action umbrella, but I can also imagine an alternate universe where Animated gets cancelled prematurely anyway because the TF brand doesn't have enough name recognition amongst wider audiences, so Animated never even gets off the ground (sort of like what is happening with Earthspark right now, although overall TFA was much better run from both the show and especially toy side).

And TFP might not have been the financial hit Hasbro expected it to be, especially abroad, but it was a super fun show and had one of the best TF toylines ever. Like, it's not clear at all where the brand would have been if TF07 hadn't come out and hadn't been the hit that it was, and let's not pretend Hasbro meddling with a storyteller's vision is a new thing at all. From its inception, this brand has existed to sell toys, and media always has and always will be subordinate to that goal.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Blam320

News Credits:
    I’m fairly certain you’re living in a parallel universe already. Animated was successful DESPITE the movies, not because of them. While it’s true we wouldn’t have had Ratchet or Bumblebee in from the start were they not also slated to appear in the movie, Animated stood on its own merits, and that’s even with Hasbro sometimes intentionally bungling the show’s distribution.

And for TFP, having “one of the best toylines ever?” I distinctly remember the toylines which immediately succeeded it were extremely cheap, notably the Fall of Cybertron tie-in line. This would not have been the case if Prime was as successful as you claim.

• Like Like x 3
  5. newtypechar

newtypechar Well-Known Member

oh no...

• Like Like x 1
  6. DeathsTreads77

DeathsTreads77 Four books into DUNE. Help

Everybody has Frickups, and rise of Skywalker was set to fail anyway by how badly The Last Jedi messed up. I'm not to bothered by the fact he had helped write that (the help in there shows that it wasn't his fault anyhow).

I'm excited for this. The skybound comics managed to actually get me pretty invested with GI Joe, so I'll be watching this.

Yeah, I recently watched it. Honestly, the only part I dislike is Carly's introduction, as it fails to show her as an actual character. The movie otherwise is just a great action-packed picture with some fun character moments salted in.

• Like Like x 2
  7. John Titor

News Credits:
    We can't make a direct relation. When it comes to toy production, cost of materials and a company's bottom line is a far greater factor than anything else. If Hasbro was strapped for cash for any myriad reason, they'd cheapen toy production regardless of the previous line being a success or not.

Like by the logic you suggested, the FOC line must have been a huge success so that's why the T30 line had better quality toys? That's why Jetfire had chrome, which was more of a Takara only thing at the time? See, it's just not related that directly.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Blam320

News Credits:
    That’s an entirely incorrect assessment on your part. It’s all interrelated. We wouldn’t have had the first Bay movie if the Unicron Trilogy wasn’t successful, for example.

• Like Like x 1
  9. xyz123

xyz123 Well-Known Member

What does the Fall of Cybertron toyline have to do with the TFP toyline bro. TFA most definitely benefitted from the massive influx of new fans brought in through the 07 movie. For one thing, I was one of them!!

• Like Like x 5
  10. Blam320

News Credits:
    I will not merit this with a proper response as it is abundantly clear you didn’t even read my post to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Explosion_Rex

Explosion_Rex Well-Known Member

That's a perfect statement for the movie industry as a whole these days. Which is incredibly unfortunate and sad.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, what did Bayformers making bank even do for us besides turbocharge toy sales for a while? The only truly good movie we got was Bumblebee, after Bay fucked off. The comics were unaffected besides DonFig going through his ugly phase. Animated was already happening, Prime was horribly written, and nuRID wasn't worth bothering with for most people.

You could argue it gave us a higher volume of toys on the shelf but we weren't doing that bad before. Things are more collector-oriented now but the entire action figure market shifted in that direction. Classics ran before the 2007 movie and Hasbro had already made the decision to continue with it. Masterpiece already existed but maybe they wouldn't have sped up its release schedule after Sideswipe?

Alright, this may sound crazy but hear me out: Those billions of dollars may have gone into a few people's pockets instead of the brand...

• Like Like x 6
  13. John Titor

News Credits:
    On the contrary my good sir, it is entirely accurate.

Oh right, that's why Unicron is such a big part of that first Bay movie. Man I just loved the bit in the 2007 movie when Vector Prime tells Sam why Hot Shot can't talk.

And it totally explains why Paramount was on board with the GI Joe movie franchise, the Joe toys on the shelves in 2007 were selling like freaken gangbusters

(couldn't resist)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  14. NOBLExGAMER

NOBLExGAMER Scale Crazed Collector | Core Class Enthusiast

News Credits:
    If you get someone who's job is to make a good movie you hire based off track record of good movies not how much of a fan they are.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blam320

News Credits:
    100% troll response. It’s abundantly clear that you have no interest in genuine conversation.

16. Hydro

Hydro Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some of his movies are decent but I'll wait and see.
    Hopefully they announce the robot cast soon. The toys are honestly all I care about, but I'll definitely still be watching the movie.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Luke Stark

Luke Stark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    True but being a fan is also a bonus

18. Luke Stark

Luke Stark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That is a lie because that is such a great movie

• Like Like x 1
  19. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

Man, I can't argue with those points. Animated was clearly cut short because they wanted something that hewed closer to the movie style. Weird where it aired without many toys, then they rushed through the seasons and blasted out the toys. It did "three seasons" in under two years, IIRC.

I didn't really like Prime but I know it has its fans. I didn't know about the budget issues. Maybe that's part of why Hasbro has been so reticent to get going on a really good animated series since.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

lol no

• Like Like x 2