Transformers x Back To The Future

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by xdmisato, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

Looking at the depth of the box compared to the figure inside makes it look similar size to the Ectotron box. Plus the similarities in graphics on the two boxes have similar spacing. Ectotron is huge. Top Gun is huge. So my logic is why wouldnt Gigawatt be huge ? Basing a mold on previous engineering of an existing mold is not unheard of with Hasbro. Hell, they just did it with Starscream. If the KO guys can upsize the Dinobots molds and downsize the Constructicons molds from scratch, imagine what Hasbro can do with the original CAD files in hand ? Hey if im wrong, I wont loose any sleep over it, but Im calling upsize for this one.

2. Eman7673

Eman7673 Beastly

First off, you're wrong about the brown junkion (Scrapheap) being a Botcon exclusive, he was from the United three pack with the blue translucent Hot Rod and battle damaged Kup.

Second, you're also wrong about saying there's going to be a difference in the figure that hasbro is releasing on pulse on 10/1. They said it would be the exact same figure in different packaging, where did they ever say that the FIGURE itself would be different? That would cause an uproar in the community that hasbro doesn't want.

SHOW US EVIDENCE of what you claim about the figure being different.

You can't because THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. THEY WOULD HAVE SAID THAT.

Why the hell would hasbro themselves sell a stripped down figure months later after they let Walmart botch the release of this one? Think about it... it doesn't make sense. You're literally the only person I've seen claiming that there would be a variation of the figure compared to... every single person here? Also on Facebook? You're wrong man, period. It's a different box and that's that

• Like Like x 5
  3. Nickster563

Nickster563 Bring back the Universe line!

It would be awesome to see Ectotron make an appearance in GigaWatts comic!

4. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    You know what, the properties are different, so there's no interfacing going on on the licensor side,
    but I think they are probably trying to make Gigawatt in scale with Ectotron.
    Having both SIEGE Sideswipe and Ectotron, I can say that the scale is probably roughly what the
    Delorean would be next to a 1959 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Futura Duplex.

I think that's kind of neat. Obviously I don't expect that Maverick will be Commander class to go along with this thought train,
    but I think he'll at least be roughly SIEGE Leader Class in F-14 mode.

EDIT: here's a photo, I think it lends credence to my theory:
    Also, John Warden is a huge scale/size guy, he's said it multiple times at
    Comic-Con Panel discussions.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  5. Nickster563

Nickster563 Bring back the Universe line!

Would you be able to take a pic of ectotron and sideswipe in vehicle mode? I'm kinda curious now what they look like side by side.

6. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is a Delorean really that much smaller?

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm To Infinity - and Your Mom TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hmm.. neat!

I didn't go for the Ghostbusters stuff (was thinking about it, but HasLab Unicron ate all the money that might have gone to it), but I'll probably try for this one.

I likes:
    * Being based on the Siege Sideswipe design, it should be similarly easy to work with.
    * Assuming this is about the same size as 'Swipe, I rather like the idea of a BTTF Delorean roughly in scale with WFC stuff.
    * I like the parts and moving wheels to allow for different configurations from different scenes/films. No train-track conversion kit? ;) 
    * Putting the flux capacitor and time display in the chestplate is a nice touch.

I have some words with:
    * The metallic gray/silver needs a bit more to break it up in robot mode IMO. It all comes off a bit dull.
    * While I don't have a problem with the robot head on its own with no other context, it pretty much just looks like a gray goggled Sideswipe to me.
    * That framework under the windshield is monstrously ugly and distracting. Painting it opaque would've been preferable to that.

Still, I think I'm on board for this. If the price and availability is right, I might get more than one.

8. Marto6

Marto6 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only complaint is the front windshield is nasty.. and needs to be blacked out... Otherwise really sweet figure... ....

Is MP-10 get my a repaint as well.. ?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Raiju

Raiju Go For Broke Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh man, I love everything about this crossover!

10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

The other examples I gave were all retail too. Oh there was also that Brainstorm figure which had a Wal Greens variant but a mass retail version that you could pick up at any store.

RID2015 Warrior Class Megatronus had a variant with a different head sculpt and a slightly different paint job you could only get at Toys R Us. The version with the open mask you could pick up at any store.

Target has had quite a few exclusive variants, most notably Dark of the Moon Leadfoot since the vehicle mode actually has a Target logo on the car IRL. There were variants in other store without that logo in other stores but since it's screen accurate to the movie you had to get it from Target to have their logo. There was also an entire mold that was exclusive to their store but most of the toys had variants you could get without Target's logo on the hood just all red.

K-Mart even had an exclusive version of Pretender Bumblebee without the pretender shell. Same mold but just the base figure so they've literally been doing this since G1.

You clearly haven't. First off, FunPub is Hasbro. Second even if it wasn't only one of the examples I mentioned was from Botcon. Every other one I brought up was an exclusive from another retail store. Considering you think Hasbro would never do this when history shows overwise, again they have literally being doing this since G1, shows you have no idea what you're talking about. An exclusive is never going to be exactly the same as the mass retail version as that completely defeats the purpose of even having an exclusive version in the first place and THAT IS NOT A VARIANT! If it's exactly the same figure then there is no variation. If the mass retail release is exactly the same as the "exclusive" then there is no exclusive it's just a mass retail release.

You didn't quote the press release, you just posted a link to it. Linking and quoting are two different things. And nothing in there makes that claim.

The press release was attached to the article by the way. And that one I actually understand your frustration on because they did clearly say that the comic would be released the same time as the mass retail variant in October.

But I'm still questioning why you think the variant is just a box cause the article does not say that. It does say that the exclusive will feature a number but it says nothing else beyond that. You're assuming because it doesn't say anything else that there is no other difference but that's a pretty big leap in logic considering nothing supports it. They've never done that before, no one has ever done that before, it completely undermines the purpose of it being an exclusive, and it would mean the "variant" is a lie if nothing is actually going to be different.

In order for the Exclusive version to maintain any value as an exclusive it has to be different from the mass retail version. In order for the two versions to be "variants" they have to be different. Just slapping a number on the box doesn't change anything about the figure. It's not a variant, it's not an exclusive, it's the same figure. Variants always ALWAYS have actual variation between them. Not just new packaging but the figure itself is altered in some way.

Calling a TOY an exclusive or a variant when the actual product hasn't actually changed would be a lie. If this were a comic it would be equivalent to saying there would be a variant cover only to find out it's the same cover with a sticker slapped on the plastic slip. Or if this were a movie if you're promised exclusive features on Blu Ray that you can't get with the regular DVD only to later find out the only exclusive feature was a different case that it comes in and all the bonus features are exactly the same.

In any case the basic core of the product hasn't changed, the comic or the movie is still the same story. Just like a figure is still the same mold. It's just the extras that are going to be different, different cover art, different bonus features, different paint job. The packaging isn't what you're paying for. That number is just a meaningless number if there are no actual differences between the figures.

That number is only there to tell you this is X out of ONLY 1,985 figures that were ever and ever will be produced of this particular version of this figure. If they're planning on making more of the figure unchanged from the exclusive then it's no longer X out of 1,985 it's X out of Y, Y being the actual total number of figures they produce before they either stop producing this mold entirely or make an actual variant out of it. As long as they change something about the figure itself like you can't get the poll hook with it after those 1,985 run out, then it's a variant, then that number means something. But the number itself being the only difference doesn't mean shit.

The only real way they could get away with changing the packaging and not the figure is if only the first 1,985 figures will have that G1 style packaging. If the mass retail version has a more modern style with totally different art work then maybe that could work but if it's literally only that number then it doesn't mean anything.

11. RodimusZero

RodimusZero Steezin fo no Reason

News Credits:
    Yeah, the Delorean is basically a two-seater coupe, versus what was a 1950's ambulance, with room for drivers plus a stretched out body in the back.
    If you look at the tires, you can tell that the scale is pretty much on point. The photo is of the Blitzway versions of both vehicles.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Nems

Nems Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Absolutely. A DeLorean is actually a fairly small car. 95-inch wheelbase versus the Cadillac's 156-inch wheelbase.

I mean, the rear wheel is right behind me when I drive. And passing a truck or suv on the freeway can be a little nerve wracking sometimes because I don't know if they can see me.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks, I must have missed it.

14. Eman7673

Eman7673 Beastly

Dude, you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. After 3H completely botched the 2004 convention (they couldn't even legally call it Botcon so they called it the OTFCC due to them losing the naming rights to their third partner) hasbro then took the license away from them who awarded it to Funpub, a third party company who ran Botcon and the TFCC.

Even though Funpub had the right to the brand and hasbro molds, THEY WERE NOT HASBRO, THEY WERE A DIFFERENT COMPANY.

Which is why after they lost the license in 2016, you never heard from them. Now Jon Hartman has the Botcon rights again and will run the shows starting with next year.

Please stop making false claims, just do your research. You're also wrong about the TR Brainstorm, these were the three releases

Hasbro - retail figure (Walgreens exclusive)
    Hasbro - SDCC exclusive (in the Titan force set)
    Takara - LG variant (Japanese retail)

These was no other US retail release other then the Walgreens one.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  15. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus DON'T TRUST THE RENDERS!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Umm.....no he doesn't.
    The original founders, Jon and Karl Hartman do. They are the ones running it next year.

16. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Hello

I'm doing some research for a podcast

Can anyone here confirm that they or someone they know got a preorder in for Gigawatt?

• Like Like x 1
  17. OmegaTanPrime

OmegaTanPrime Seeker

It's just a dead link for me.

18. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

Instagram:
    Damn, these crossovers introducing me to new movies. Watched GB a few months ago, and now it's BTTF time

• Like Like x 2
  19. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Bit small but not that far off really.
    IMG_20200703_085626__01.jpg
    IMG_20200703_085433__01.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  20. Eman7673

Eman7673 Beastly

Yeah you're right, I'll edit my post