Transformers x Back To The Future

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by xdmisato, Jun 24, 2020.

1. OrionPaximus

OrionPaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Several official DeLorean Time Machine Toys have licensed the DMC emblem for the 35th anniversary. I just don’t understand why Hasbro neglected this major detail. Don’t tell me they couldn’t afford to license out from The Delorean Motor Company Texas. I would think this would irk fans more than a limited sticker

2. RoboW4rrior298

RoboW4rrior298 Maximum blast!

News Credits:
    I can’t wait to see the customs for this thing, it’s gonna be awesome.

I think for mine I’m going to paint the goggles gold but keep the blue lenses, and maybe add some black to the helmet. He’ll be getting an Autobot insignia like Ectotron, maybe on his shoulder.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Wow this thread got long very quickly! Took me forever to read it all.

My late 2 cents: I recently bought Ectotron to go with this guy and I was pleasantly surprised in the alt mode detailing for it. I’m planning to display these crossover figures in alt mode in my theatre room with my Batmobiles etc. so the alt mode is important to me. Yes I know I could buy scale replicas for these cars that would look better but I’m a Transformer collector and I would rather own versions that can transform.

Overall I think this figure is “OK” but like many have said the windshield is unbelievably terrible. The windows should have been darker even if it would hide the flux capacitor in bot mode more. I normally hate putting stickers on my figures but if Toyhax make a set for this one I will most likely be buying it just to fix the windows.

I’m also a little concerned as to why in some pics the figure appears to have plain crappy grey swirly plastic and in other pics the figure looks painted. Very strange to have both in the marketing shots and hopefully Hasbro will clarify that at some point.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Paco Grande

Paco Grande Well-Known Member

Now for my comments on the preorder scandal. I wanted this in a separate post so it didn’t get lost in my post on the figure itself.

Yes absolutely it was handled very poorly and allowing people (bots) to buy 12 at a time was ridiculous.

As I’m sure some of you have heard before the Bandai DX Macross releases are like this every single time so be thankful Hasbro/Takara don’t behave like Bandai. I only recently started collecting Bandai DX Macross figures and I’m horrified at how bad it is. Typically a preorder sells out in seconds and it starts at 3:00am Eastern Time so if you live in that time zone like me you are screwed. Typically right after selling out the first batch Nippon Yassan will post a second batch with a $65 USD markup. And later on they will increase the price a few more times as it becomes more scarce. So there is essentially scalping going on at the actual retailers. That’s before the figures even hit EBay etc. Also the bots are real for sure. It’s so bad for Macross fans that some of them have been using bot software just to get one for themselves or a few for their group of friends. That’s what I’ve heard anyway. So I think bots are a legitimate concern for sure.

So yes this situation sucks but at least we know there’s a larger batch coming and we aren’t going to miss out completely. And again, be thankful that Transformers typically don’t go through this preorder madness very often. It could be worse for sure.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I've literally sat and watched all of this unfurl since Wednesday.

On a personal level, I've had this FOMO burn before. Back in 2007. So it's understandable to be outraged/upset. Y'all have that right as well as the opinion on the transformer and design choices as well.

It's a numbered release for this first round. I get that too. Not the first time, unless it is the first time one of you is dealing with it.

IF you do want your opinion heard, we have how many members here on TFW? Or on the various FB groups? Or Twitter? Or Insta? Write to Hasbro. It's what I did. You might think it's like yelling into the wind, but I do think Hasbro marketing and designers actually read the various forums (which some of those folks like Aaron Archer and others have BEEN TFW members, so never doubt lurkers. But be nice about it if you write them. Talk about how long you've been collecting. About how much it means to you. And how you appreciate the efforts for them to keep trying to find ways to merch. And that their choice of vendors is unfortunate and harming their brand, instead of helping it.

Keep a couple of facts in mind.
    • We know Hasbro is going to have their own order for this figure up on October 1st.
    • Toyhax are geniuses.
    • You want to customize it? Do it!
    • And finally, if you want to get rid of scum on Ebay, annoy them. There are ways to do it without losing your own account. Because that's trash panda levels of jerks.

That's my opinion. I got a message back after 5 days because they really didn't know how to answer back quickly. This isn't a 'two left feet in QC' thing. This is a collecting collective thing.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Sweet! I cannot WAIT to orde.... awe. :( 

7. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I find it hard to justify even paying 3x MSRP for a figure before it is discontinued (memories of me getting deluxe Ripclaw). IMHO the Scalpers marking up Gigawatt hundreds should be scalped as well (wild west style) but enough on acknowledging some of my ancesters I'll write about the figure.

I like how Gigawatt looks like Macaddams (sp?) trying to go incognito. the frame visible behind the windshield doesn't bother me tho it looks like tinting the windows would make it look better.

8. mcart

mcart I'm not fat, it's Prime Armor

News Credits:
    In their live stream a couple of weeks ago Hasbro straight up said that they read the forums. Honestly, why wouldn't they? Free market research? Yes please, lol!

So if our Hasbro overlords are reading :

Hello. Well, that went poorly but it's only a toy and we know they will be available again I plan on buying 3 if I can to customize and have a backup and mib in case I screw up. Maybe we can get a BTTF 2 version with some of the changes people have posted here.

• Like Like x 5
  9. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Ebay:
    No, but I do believe it's within Hasbro's pattern of behavior to leave out an accessory in a non-exclusive release, especially one that requires additional deco work. That certainly is not inconsistent with Hasbro's past behavior.

I hope they will do include all the accessories this time, but I am not totally sure they will.

10. bearytrek

bearytrek Unicron Backer #1...

News Credits:
    as I understand it, Universal can license the time-machine DeLorean without the DMC emblem, so it probably was Hasbro's choice (do we pay again for another license just to put those three letters on the toy or be happy with the important time-machine elements we got)?

11. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While Megamaid would be nice, it'll never happen. George Lucas enjoyed Spaceballs a good bit, but the only way he'd okay it is if Mel Brooks wouldn't merchandise, which is ironic because that's one of the funnier scenes in the movie. So, no, we will not be seeing any toys related to the movie. Lucas no longer owns Star Wars/Lucasfilm, but I'm sure Disney wouldn't allow it, either.

He's Deluxe. He might be thicker bigger, but not taller bigger.

As far as we know, this is only the packaging that's exclusive at the moment. Hasbro has done some ridiculous things before, yes, but even they know not to piss off the fans that much. That'll drive people away if they can't have the same figure as Walmart's version. It's not fair they made less than two thousand of that version, simply to remove molded features and screw everyone else. It would also be more expensive to do that. It's one thing to screw a set of fans out of a specific deco, it's another to take entire features out of a ready to go figure. That would basically hurt them a good bit. Everyone on all sides would agree that was crappy of them. It's not like we're talking about Fort Max where one got a sword and the other didn't, you're talking about removing molded-in gimmicks... That's BoA-level @$$hattery, not Hasbro's.

• Like Like x 1
  12. MagicDishwasher

MagicDishwasher Roustabout

News Credits:
    The general product description portion of the press release mentions "blaster and whip antennae accessories" as well as wheels that "rotate from vertical to horizontal to produce a hovering effect as seen at the end of the film."

It's only several paragraphs later that the limited release figure is mentioned, and the only difference highlighted is the numbered packaging.

There is no reason to think that any accessories or features will be omitted from the main release.

• Like Like x 10
  13. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I mean, the speculation is pointless because nothing is going to be excluded. It's right there in the press release. The only "exclusive" is the numbered package.

14. mcart

News Credits:
    You know what, I totally skipped the rotating wheels part! Sweet, that's the version I wanted. Should have been obvious with the Mr Fusion I suppose :D 

Well, putting the Walmart debacle behind us. Hasbro, next release of something like this may I suggest you do a lottery system, we all get a shot at buying this and makes it tougher for bots. Unpopular opinion would be to make the lottery a pulse premium exclusive.

Sure to be unpopular opinions but at least they'd get to fans and not just people intending to resell.

15. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I mean, had it been at SDCC as we suspect was the intent it would have been even *harder* for bots and nearly impossible for all of us to get one.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    They do read the forums but forums have been old news to them since the early 2000’s. They’re paying a lot of attention to social media and have so increasingly in the past few years due to the wider reach. Not everyone is going to bother joining a Transformers site but there’s substantially more people on social media.

17. mcart

News Credits:
    I mean, would have been easier for me :D 

But honestly even an SDCC release would have made it easier to obtain than this. This one went in less than a second and only a couple of fans got one.

18. OrionPaximus

OrionPaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can see your point, but the car is an iconic movie car and to me at least it’s an important element. This reminds me of the DST Time Machine, everything was perfect except they didn’t license the emblems. It’s also kind of short sighted not to include the 2015 license plate as official decals. I just hope some third party has either decals or a molded kit. I’m slowly coming around from being anti third party. These companies force you to sometimes go around then.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mcart

News Credits:
    You make good points but Twitter seems mostly to remind me of people shouting into the wind and someone then repeats that. Never seems to be real discourse. Facebook is good, actual discourse there, not too familiar with Snapchat but that seems to be where they engage more so maybe I should be :D 

For the discussion and ideas I'd still say forums are the best place but then, as I mainly discuss in forums, I would say that!

20. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Even though this year's SDCC is doing an at home version, I suspect there isn't going to be a Lottery system for this one. But I wonder if entry for home version will still acquire something like a membership.

• Like Like x 1