Transformers with personality traits that were dropped or forgotten

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TheWarPathGuy, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Just a correction
    • The characters were NEVER brought over to the US, the toys were.Budiansky's CREATED the characters

• Like Like x 2
  2. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

That’s always been a question that I’ve always found hard to answer

I mean, the toy and comic bios pre-date the cartoon and solely based on what came first it can be said that those are the most original

But is that the only way to see it?
    Would it be fair to say that the material from the cartoon, which came out soon after and had much more of an impact, is equally original?

3. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Don't they litter every tfwiki page?

4. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ugh...talk about truth

i don't read the captions for fear if my eyes roll back too hard they'll fall out of my head

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Huh...
    What is Skywarp's personality anyway? He is shown to be sneaky.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Saberclaw84

Saberclaw84 Defensor’s Servant

Am I the only one here who realized that Superion's limbs never really stood out?
    I don't know if its the color scheme or the personalities or what.

From what I remember...
    Skydive doesn't really care for flying and would rather be reading. He also doesn't really think much of his skills, despite being the smartest Aerialbot.

Air Raid is rash, fearless, and somewhat reckless. His only goal is to have fun and that attribute of his personality gets him in trouble. He also loves surprises, especially when they disorient his enemies.

Slingshot is a loudmouth, a braggart, and a jerk. And he uses that loudmouth braggart jerk personality as a way to cover up his insecurities due to being the smallest and the weakest of the Aerialbots.

Fireflight is a daydreamer with a good heart, but gets distracted by his surroundings while flying. He's basically like a child.

Silverbolt does have his fear of heights, but he refuses to bow to it. He also struggles to keep up his tough and fearless exterior of a soldier.

Alpha Bravo never really got to show his personality (he was one of the additions to Superion during CW), but based on what I've managed to find on him, he always feels like he has something to prove to the other Aerialbots.

• Like Like x 7
  7. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Energon was guilty of many problems but the one thing that irritated more than anything though was how Demolisher was treated after his "return". I actually kind of liked the idea of Demolisher being among the Autobots and trying to fit in to the point where he was actually torn between them and his loyalty to Megatron for a moment. Even after he returned to the Cons, he would still show some thoughtfulness toward the humans up until he his Armada body was destroyed. But afterwards, they just threw all of that good characterization into the garbage when he was resurrected into his Energon body and completely kicking the only shining spot of the Energon cartoon IMO to the curb.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Porkulus

Porkulus Too Many Hobbies

YouTube (Legacy):
    As a kid this pissed me off. I remembered this dude from the last series and it was cool to see him trying to make good on the crimes of his past, and being nice to humans. But then they threw it all out. This kind of story, where a reformed bad guy goes back to their evil ways, can be done well... but the Energon cartoon squandered it. But is that really a surprise?

• Like Like x 5
  9. Saberclaw84

Personally, if they are to go back and redo Energon, I'd like to see them follow Super Link. Super Link actually established new names for all of the characters, and treated them much more differently than Energon did.

10. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First one that comes to mind is Starscream.
    In G1 he had many sides to him, but it seems the more recent toons forget all that & paint him as just a coward.

• Like Like x 8
  11. Saberclaw84

I've noticed that the fact that Broadside gets seasick and is acrophobic has been forgotten.
    It'd be pretty funny to see them incorporate it for once.

• Like Like x 3
  12. StrangePlanet

StrangePlanet G1

I always wanted a G1 cartooon where the characters were their toy-based selves.
    All that info on the back of the cards and boxes - those were cool personalities and abilities that never got used in the toon or the comics, but I liked those characters.

• Like Like x 7
  13. pokemonsdoom

pokemonsdoom MadameVixen

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like Trypticon's hypnosis powers or hatred and intelligence,

• Like Like x 4
  14. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    It's interesting that one of the faults people had with the movies was lack of characterization of the Transformers. Yet the cartoon also appears to be a bit guilty of it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Saberclaw84

I'm one of those people who isn't terribly fond of the G1 cartoon. But characters disappeared for no reason in the cartoon with no characterization whatsoever.
    Hauler? One episode appearance.
    Skids? Appeared in a few episodes then disappeared.
    Most of the '84 and '85 cast in general disappeared without cartoon characterization.

• Like Like x 1
  16. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Until the E-Hobby Grapple redeco in 2003, there was no Hauler except in that one scene. I always assumed he was just an early concept for Grapple.

Skids, yeah you've got a point. He got some good focus in the comic though.

• Like Like x 2
  17. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

Seemed to be just the opposite with Sunbow being more black & white while Marvel had shades of grey. The humans accepted the Bots as good too easily on the show, but were always seen as a threat by most in the comic. Marvel also gave the Cons some wins, and the fight for leadership after Prime's death certainly brought out Grimlock's bad side. Bots always prevailed in the cartoon and rarely clashed with each other.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Saberclaw84

He was! Hauler was supposed to be in the '84 lineup, but they pulled him out last second. Hauler still made it into the cartoon though, as I believe it had already been animated.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Not G1 but Waspinator was intended to be a more straightforward Predacon warrior/goon but the writers of BW got more use of him out as a Three Stooges-like moron/chew toy.

20. Insurgent

Insurgent The Amazing Tango Mysterio

It's not that he had trouble doing his voice, but the way he made him speak took up too much time, so they had to keep coming up with ways to write him out of episodes before he got too much dialogue.

• Like Like x 3