Transformers with Mental Disorders

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Trooper028, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

Bluestreak, sadly, hasn't ever really shown any sign of his PTSD outside of his bios.
    Here's the original:
    "Conversations don't come easy when Bluestreak is around. His talent for incessant and often inane talk tends to drown out those close by, but at least his gregarious manner serves to lighten the otherwise grim situation of the Autobots. What is not widely known is the underlying reason for his endless droning: to hide the fact that he hates war. Despite his formidable weaponry and his blazing speed, he is basically not a warrior type. Autobot Commander Optimus Prime's faith in him helps sustain Bluestreak in the heat of battle. Optimus knows that Bluestreak will be forever haunted by the memory of his witnessing the total destruction of his city back on Cybertron by the Decepticons. He was the lone survivor. "There's some demons runnin' loose inside that boy," says Hound, "and sometimes I think they grab hold of him and won't let him go."..... As powerful and threatening as he is, Bluestreak can be completely undone at times by his disdain for combat and his reluctance to fight."
    And here's his Dreamwave bio:
    [​IMG]

The descriptions aren't incredibly detailed (e.g., the bio doesn't specifically mention him having flashbacks, exaggerated startle response, etc.), but he does seem to present avoidance of things that remind him of his trauma (his reluctance to fight directly stems from his traumatic experience), and the quote from Hound does strongly suggest that he's also suffering from other symptoms that the bio doesn't specifically call out. Bluestreak seems to cope via talking (a lot); his Dreamwave bio explicitly states that his "inane rambling is a coping mechanism".

Krok's PTSD isn't from either of his bios; instead, it comes from his appearances in IDW.

His traumatic experience was this: "Late in the war, the Krok would rise to command his own squad, a feat of which he was quite proud. When he and his squad went up against the Wreckers, however, the Autobot commandos massacred his unit: Roadbuster, high on Syk, tore out his buddy Radar's spine and made him eat it. In his grief, he gathered up Radar's remains and kept his severed finger as a momento, discovering that it could also function as an ad-hoc communicator and a Decepticon spark detector. It seems the Wreckers also killed his pet, and he named himself "Krok" in its honor. " Yikes. (The bit about his pet is almost unintentionally comedic...)

And this was the result: "Unable to come to grips with the death of his squad, Krok convinced himself that he had simply lost contact with them, and developed a nervous tic of "clicking" Radar's thumb (which he passed off as a "communicator") when anxious. Following the loss of his squad, Krok served on a Warworld as a military strategist, though he was regarded as "incompetent" by his shipmate Skullcruncher." Most of these aren't necessarily traditional symptoms of PTSD, but it's clear that his traumatic experiences negatively impacted his life. It appears that he copes with his trauma via denial and his nervous tic.

Also, there's these conversations, from More Than Meets the Eye #46:

Fulcrum: "Hey, Krok, what you said just now—about Radar, about your squad. You should've told me earlier."
    Krok: "For a while I couldn't talk about it at all. In fact for a while I convinced myself that the rest of my squad were still out there—that they were safe."
    Misfire: "Yeah, Crankcase used to say you were nuts."
    Krok: "See? And people wonder why it's so hard to talk about mental health."
    Misfire: "Hey, I'm a paragon of sensitivity."
    Krok: "It's not just the labeling—it's the distancing. It's this idea that experiencing mental illness marks you out as bad different. Show me someone who hasn't been affected by all the fighting. Show me someone who's "normal" and I'll show you someone who knows how to hide things. We are our brains. Subject this ball of circuitry to four million years of war and hate and pain and death and loss and grief and don't be surprised if it has to find new ways to cope with the stress. People should be more understanding. That's what I was going to do with my half a billion—build a treatment center for vulnerable Decepticons. Because there are a lot of people out there who are only just about holding it together."

"I've spent years comparing myself with Decepticons who've done well for themselves—people like Agonizer and Skullcruncher. Today I realized that y'know what? I've done well. For a while I was a mess. My squad had died. I was directionless, I was delusional... I got better thanks to you guys. Even when I've made bad decisions, you've given me stability and support and—and companionship... and maybe it's time we gave those things to other Decepticons."
    "What you're describing sounds suspiciously like helping people."
    "I know. Because guess what? I think we'd be pretty good at it."

Krok and Crankcase

• Like Like x 2
  2. Trooper028

Trooper028 Well-Known Member

Krok raises-several-good points here. Given Krok's PTSD wasn't in his original bio or DW bio it wouldn't be hard to argue that anyone who doesn't seem to have any other disorder probably do however have PTSD from several million years of war, because who wouldn't?

Its possible Wildrider has PTSD and people just write him off as nuts because they just don't understand mental illness. I mean the Decepticons aren't exactly the most sensitive group and would probably deem those who try and talk about their feelings as "weaklings".

There is a link between PTSD and RSDB (reckless and self-destructive behavior). This might explain Ruckus's reckless behavior. In his backstory he got blown up and the only part of him left working was his voice box.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Trooper028

Transformers DSM 2nd Edition (Decepticon Version Part 1)
    Disclaimer: Not a professional or licensed psychologist. This is just a lot of guesswork I did for fun. The 'profiles' are mostly speaking in general, but some character bios were just too vague or didn't give enough info while others were textbook cases of their diagnoses that they just dominated it. Keep in mind comorbidity is very common and if I didn't place them under their probable second disorder a lot of them would be under ASPD.

1. Depressive Disorders
    Major Depressive Disorder: Finback
    Persistent Depressive Disorder: Dead End, Dirge, Darkwing, Dreadwind
    Profile: Subject is perpetually sad, they have a hopeless outlook, have low self-esteem, and suffer from a loss of concentration and interest making motiving them to fight difficult at times. Their sole interest appears to be making others feel the same despair they do, but greater.

Note: Put these two disorders together since they crossover a lot in symptoms they're nearly interchangeable. I just wasn't sure how to make MDD sound different from PDD with just Finback to work with.

2. Bipolar Disorders
    Bipolar I or II Disorder: Slog
    Profile: Subject’s mood alternates between manic highs and depressive lows: The highs coming with grandiosity and an increase in goal-directed but impulsive activity regarding the subject’s artwork. These are followed by periods of depression that last for an undetermined amount of time.

3. Psychotic Disorders
    Other Psychotic Disorders: Wildrider (sedatephobia)
    Note: More research is required before I'm sure.

4. Anxiety Disorders:
    Social Anxiety Disorder: Headstrong,
    Profile: Subject suffers a persistent fear of coming up short in their performance. They feel inadequate in comparison to their coworkers. They put up a stubborn front to hide these insecurities making them difficult to work with when they decide upon a course of action.

5. Obsessive Compulsive Disorders
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Windsweeper
    Profile: Subject suffers from an extreme revulsion to dirt, grime, and untidiness. They need things to be clean very clean. Otherwise subject will start to become distressed they loose their ability for clear thinking, they become agitated and emotional, and at their worse blow a fuse and faint.

Hoarding Disorder: Scavenger (possibly DPD as well)
    Profile: Subject has a manic need to find things of value to prove his own value to others, but because he believes everything has value they can’t discard possessions even when they’re junk. These possessions then accumulate cluttering living space.

6. Neurodevelopmental Disorders
    Attention-Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder: Runamuck (acrophobia), Runabout (thaasaphobia), Skywarp, Wildfly, Triggerhappy, Divebomb,
    Profile: Subject is often like a “kid in a candy store” on the battlefield. They can’t sit still; they run around wildly, can’t be quiet and often heard laughing. Preferring to have fun the subject has trouble paying attention, is distractible, forgetful, and has poor organization skills requiring others to supervise them.

Autism Spectrum Disorder: Shockwave, Soundwave (IDW), Squawktalk
    Profile: Subject is fixated on a specific subject matter (logic, language, etc.). They prefer to go by a routine and primarily talk about their interests. Furthermore subject demonstrates poor social skills often unable to pick up on social cues or others’ feelings or emotionally driven actions. Sometimes this causes them confusion and distress.

Intellectual Disability: Blot, Quake, Slugfest, Skullgrin (shell only)
    Profile: Subject suffers from a decrease in their intellectual functioning. They have difficulty thinking and understanding and will often makes impulsive and poorly thought out choices. They also have trouble speaking coherently. Subject is aware of their shortcomings and it causes them distress.

Developmental Coordination Disorder: Misfire, Nautilator
    Profile: Subject’s coordination impairment causes them to be clumsy often tripping over their own feet and very inaccurate with their weapons resulting in very poor aim and friendly fire on their part. This all causes them great distress.

7. Trauma and Stressor Related Disorders:
    Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Krok, Ruckus, Thundercracker, Icepick,
    Profile: Subject has experienced and witnessed a trauma in the past. They cope through avoiding memories or reminders of the event if not have full-blown amnesia of it. Subject may have nightmares and flashbacks of the event. Subject may feel shame, fear, horror, and anger. Subject may feel numb and detached. Subject may have hyper vigilance, be easily started, insomnia, poor concentration, and reckless and self-destructive behavior (RSDB).

Note: I said 'may' a lot here. While Krok has PTSD in IDW his toy bio doesn't suggest this. The others are here because they didn't appear to have anything else and well what else would you have after million years of war?
    I actually think Wildrider with his fear of quiet (he thinks enemies might be about to get him) might also have PTSD.

8. Dissociative Disorders:
    Dissociative Identity Disorder: Flywheels, Skullgrin,
    Profile: Subject has two distinct personalities recurrently take control. The two personalities can often be heard arguing amongst themselves and fighting for control.

Dissociative Amnesia: Crankcase
    Profile: Subject has suffered a trauma leading to the inability to remember personal information. Being aware of this makes him irritable both himself and for others to be around him.

9. Eating Disorders:
    Binge-Eating Disorder: Hun-Grrr, Skullcruncher,
    Profile: Subject likes to eat. Subject engages in binge eating with minimal sense of control. Not picky about what they eat either-including other transformers. Subject’s cannibalism alienates him socially from others.

10. Neurocognitive Disorder
    Major Neurocognitive Disorder: Carnivac
    Profile: Subject has suffered a significant cognitive decline namely in social situations. They are no longer able to tell appropriate from inappropriate behavior. Subject just acts with reckless violent abandon with no regard for their safety who they’re harming.

11. Disruptive Impulse Control and Conduct Disorders
    Oppositional Defiant Disorder: Fangry,
    Profile: Subject rejects authority in any form becoming angry, defiant, and violent if anyone tries to tell him what to do. Subject is very independent and prefers to rely on his own skills and do things his way. However, his inability to listen to advice makes him difficult to work with.

Conduct Disorder: Rumble, Octane, Overkill, Rippersnapper, Scowl (BDD),
    Profile: Subject suffers from an inferiority complex that leads to them acting out to prove themselves. They persistently violate others’ rights and break rules: Namely hurting others and causing destruction of property. Not unusual in a war but they do it even when they don't have too.

Intermittent Explosive Disorder: Tantrum, Brawl, Rampage (ADHD), Flamefeather, Beastbox, Bristleback, Horri-Bull, Long Haul (not enough data on him tbh),
    Profile: Subject has repeated outbursts of verbal and or physical aggression (tantrums, arguments, tirades, and fights) that are out of proportion and that destroys property or harms other people. These outbursts are on impulse and not premeditated. The subject shows relief after acting on their aggression.

Kleptomania: Chop Shop
    Profile: Subject is behind the stealing of various items; they do not steal for monetary gain, but out of compulsion. Notably, the more difficult something is to steal the more they need to steal it. This impulsive thrill-seeking behavior often puts them in needless danger and gets them in trouble.

Pyromania: Cindersaur, Skyhopper
    Profile: Subject repeatedly sets things on fire; this is more than just a fulfillment of their function. Subject enjoys the act of setting things on fire finding a sense of empowerment in it. He sees an artistic beauty in the flames and will try and get close as possible to the fire. This of course places him in danger.

12. Sleep Disorders
    Narcolepsy: Knockout
    Profile: Subject experiences constant irresistible sleep attacks. Subject also experiences cataplexy if they get too excited.

Will finish the Personality Disorders section later.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

Transmutate

5. Trooper028

Personality Disorders
    Cluster A

Paranoid Personality Disorder: Venom, Slugfest, Breakdown (scopophobia)
    Profile: Subject suspects deception and doubts the loyalty of friends undermining his position and job. They bear grudges and are not above ‘get them, before they get me’. Subject reads hidden meanings in messages unrelated to them and perceives personal attacks on their character.

Ok while it wasn't hard to use the criteria for PPD to place Venom and Slugfest here. Breakdown is a trickier fit. He's paranoid, but doesn't really fall into this like they do. He specifically has a paranoid delusion that everyone even inanimate objects are staring at him. The question is does this qualify him for schizophrenia when he's an alien robot that can turn into an inanimate object himself? The root of his issues is while in disguise he knows he's different and that eats at him. It isn't made clear if he thinks those inanimate objects might be robots in disguise as well. And that there is the line. If he does, he's not schizophrenic and just plain paranoid. If he doesn't then he probably is schizophrenic. At least to my understanding from the previous discussions.

Wildrider I think has PTSD since thinking enemies are about to jump you when "Its quiet, too quiet" and your a soldier in a war is actually kind of reasonable.
    Though this would mean in the cartoon he was born traumatized. Which is kind of messed up.

Schizoid Personality Disorder: Submarauder, Spinister, Bludgeon, Ravage, Bomb-Burst
    Profile: Subject prefers solitary activities and doesn’t desire close relationships having few friends. They’re aloof towards others (emotional coldness or flat affect), they speak little and reveal even less. Additionally subject is indifferent to praise or criticism

Schizotypal Personality Disorder: Mindwipe
    Profile: Subject has few if any close friends preferring to try and speak with the dead over the living. They go into self-induced trances to try and achieve this. They believe in the paranormal and want to prove it exists. They can be superstitions and believe normal events have deeper meaning then they really do.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Trooper028

@Longitudinalwave how would you describe Scavenger as being Dependent Personality Disorder? Aside from seeking approval from the others he doesn’t seem to have any of the other issues that come with the disorder.

7. Longitudinalwave

Here's the diagnostic criteria:
    For a diagnosis of dependent personality disorder, patients must have

• A persistent, excessive need to be taken of, resulting in submissiveness and clinging
    This persistent need is shown by the presence of ≥ 5 of the following:

• Difficulty making daily decisions without an inordinate amount of advice and reassurance from other people

• A need to have others be responsible for most important aspects of their life

• Difficulty expressing disagreement with others because they fear loss of support or approval

• Difficulty starting projects on their own because they are not confident in their judgment and/or abilities (not because they lack motivation or energy)

• Willingness to go to great lengths (eg, do unpleasant tasks) to obtain support from others

• Feelings of discomfort or helplessness when they are alone because they fear they cannot take of themselves

• An urgent need to establish a new relationship with someone who will provide care and support when a close relationship ends

• Unrealistic preoccupation with fears of being left to take care of themselves
    Also, symptoms must have begun by early adulthood.
    Here's a descriptor of the condition:

Patients with dependent personality disorder do not think they can take care of themselves. They use submissiveness to try to get other people to take care of them.

Patients with this disorder typically require much reassurance and advice when making ordinary decisions. They often let others, often one person, take responsibility for many aspects of their life. For example, they may depend on their spouse to tell them what to wear, what kind of job to look for, and whom to associate with.

These patients consider themselves inferior and tend to belittle their abilities; they take any criticism or disapproval as proof of their incompetence, further undermining their confidence.

It is difficult for them to express disagreement with others because they fear losing support or approval. They may agree to something they know is wrong rather than risk losing the help of others. Even when anger is appropriate, they do not get angry at friends and co-workers for fear of losing their support.

Because these patients are sure that they cannot do anything on their own, they have difficulty starting a new task and working independently, and they avoid tasks that require taking responsibility. They present themselves as incompetent and needing constant help and reassurance. When reassured that a competent person is supervising and approving of them, these patients tend to function adequately. However, they do not want to appear too competent lest they be abandoned. As a result, their career may be harmed. They perpetuate their dependency because they tend not to learn skills of independent living.

These patients go to great lengths to obtain care and support (eg, doing unpleasant tasks, submitting to unreasonable demands, tolerating physical, sexual, or emotional abuse). Being alone makes them feel extremely uncomfortable or afraid because they fear they cannot take care of themselves.

Patients with dependent personality disorder tend to interact socially with only the few people they depend on. When a close relationship ends, patients with this disorder immediately try to find a replacement. Because of their desperate need to be taken care of, they are not discriminating in choosing a replacement.

These patients fear abandonment by those they depend on, even when there is no reason to.

And here are his bios:
    [​IMG]

" Scavenger is driven by a manic urge to find things of value in a desperate attempt to prove his worth to his comrades, particularly his fellow Constructicons. And it makes no difference to him whether he has to dig up a hillside or someone's backyard- he could care less about personal property- in order to accomplish his goal. But more often than not, what he brings back is useless junk, which only reinforces his own image of uselessness to the others. Decepticon Leader Megatron has gravely noted that, "such behavior would be charming in a puppyoid, but ill-becomes a Decepticon warrior." It is only because Scavenger's unique abilities sometimes prove to be of vital importance that Megatron tolerates his continuing existence..... Scavenger's abilities are diluted by his poor judgment, which causes him to squander vast amounts of his fuel supply."

It's primarily because his desire to please his allies is so all-consuming that the diagnosis came to mind. His original bio suggests that his desperation to find valuable things is primarily driven by his need to please his allies. It's also worth noting that, on the original cartoon, he came across as the least aggressive member of the group. He didn't fight with the others (even though the Constructicons as a whole snapped at each other with a good deal of frequency), he didn't react angrily when he got insulted (e.g., when Scrapper called him "Scrounge"), and he came across as insecure (particularly in "The Master Builder"). We don't really see enough of him to get a complete idea of his behavior, but I'd still say that the disorder seems likely in his case.

• Like Like x 3
  8. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

I was curious if other two headed Transformers had DID so I looked at Hun-Gurrr and Sinnertwin. TFWiki actually has this note on Sinnertwin's page.

"Unlike Hun-Gurrr, whose two heads spoke simultaneously, Sinnertwin's alternate mode in the Transformers cartoon had two heads that spoke independently of each other and even had two different actors provide the voices. At one point, they even seemed to argue with each other over which head got to kill an Autobot. What kind of relationship these heads have with Sinnertwin's robot mode personality is unknown."

I also looked at his list of voice actors in various countries... In Japan there is only one but in every other language he is indeed voiced by two different actors, one for each head.

The thing is I also checked Hun-Grrr and he also has two different actors... however in his case it's not that each head has a different actor it's that his robot mode and beast mode have different actors. So it seems like Hun-Grrr could still have two different personalities. His bio mentions he's a glutton but it always talks about him stuffing TWO mouths indicating the Beast Mode Marshall Efron. The Robot mode, Stephen Keener seems to be more of a military strategist while his beast mode seems to get in the way. So not different in the way that I expected them to be but it does seem like there are two different identity states there. It's just got nothing to do with the two heads which both share the same identity.

David Workman and Jared Barclay on the other hand... Sinnertwin's two heads... oddly enough other countries listed each voice actor as Right Head or Left Head but the English actors are simply both credited as Sinnertwin without specifying which head they actually voiced. And I never saw any credit given for the robot mode which might be why that last line stated the heads relationship with his robot mode personality is unknown since the robot mode appears to not even have an active personality. Or at least he doesn't speak...

It is quite common I'm finding out... I use to think this was weird because there's nothing physically wrong with my vocal cords but I've known several people who have either...

A. Been surprised when they found out I could talk.

B. Thought I was mad at them giving them the "silent treatment".

C. I've even had people I've never met before come up to me and question me about why I wouldn't talk to them. It was clear they knew my name, they knew my parents, but from my perspective I've never even seen these people before and have zero memory of what they're talking about.

In all three cases I end up awkwardly making up excuses cause I didn't want to tell them what was actually going on or just actually didn't know what was going on. I found out the reason this kept happening was because of a mute alter. Based on what little I knew about him from what other people had told me I was able to piece together that he was also the reason I kept waking up in weird places not where knowing where I was or how I got there. I called him the Wanderer... cause as far I knew he just like to explore and doesn't like people very much. I learned at the age of 23 his name is actually Warren... cause I was out of state for the first time, I knew he'd likely be triggered out being in a new place. My ex girlfriend who I was staying with at the time knew I had DID and I asked her to keep an eye on me and not to let me leave the apartment without saying anything. So when he did eventually try to wander off without talking she knew it wasn't me in control of the body anymore. Had a pen and paper ready. She asked him his name, he wrote down Warren. There's some other stuff that was kind of more personal as well. Plus she also made him promise to bring the body back to the apartment or at least keep my phone on him so I wouldn't end up stranded in the middle of no where.

Anyway... the point is... is possible to have a mute alter. I don't think Sinnertwin's robot mode can switch between the two beast head personalities like Doublecross is said to do. I don't think he's just blank. I think that the robot mode is a third identity state separate from his beast mode personalities. While the beast heads are distinctive being voiced by two different actors and can apparently argue with each other the robot mode is mute, calm, and seemingly less aggressive than the beast mode personalities.

I can't entirely confirm if that's actually what was intended or if they just didn't think that much about the robot mode... but it's certainly a possibility that the robot mode is a mute alter.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. masterchai

masterchai Member

Warpath is a classic example of someone with Tourette Syndrome. Adding, prefacing or substituting his words with WHAM BAM POW ZOOM is clearly a vocal tic of some sort. Either that or he learned english by watching Adam West's Batman :p 

• Like Like x 3
  10. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

While you're bringing this up... could someone please explain what Tourette Syndrome ACTUALLY is. This one was made famous by South Park as a "Not real disorder that was made up as an excuse for people to cuss all they want to without getting in trouble for it." And even before that I heard a couple people refer to a disorder that causes people to cuss uncontrollably.

I don't know any more about the disorder other than it's the cussing one but I think there has to be more to it than that to be real. If it was really that simple I'd be inclined to agree that it's just an excuse for kids to cuss without getting in trouble. And that seems really dumb that anyone would actually believe that.

However if it's a speech impediment/vocal tic... I think the Dinobots and Waspinator's need to begin every sentence with Me or I followed by their own name and the Insecticons repeating the last word of every sentence could also be forms of tourettes. But again beyond the cussing thing that's portrayed in the media I don't actually know what the official criteria for diagnosing tourettes is. I'm just kind of guessing that it's more than just "they cuss a lot"

Lots of people cuss a lot and they don't all have tourette syndrome. So it's either a fictional illness the media made up or if it is a real illness it's being portrayed very poorly by the media and I'd like to know what the ACTUAL symptoms are.

I also thought the idea of an alien learning English from Adam West and thinking those were totally normal words to say is just really funny.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Longitudinalwave

Tourette's Syndrome is a real condition:

To be diagnosed with TS, a person must:

• have two or more motor tics (for example, blinking or shrugging the shoulders) and at least one vocal tic (for example, humming, clearing the throat, or yelling out a word or phrase), although they might not always happen at the same time.
    • have had tics for at least a year. The tics can occur many times a day (usually in bouts) nearly every day, or off and on.
    • have tics that begin before age 18 years.
    • have symptoms that are not due to taking medicine or other drugs or due to having another medical condition (for example, seizures, Huntington disease, or postviral encephalitis).
    It is one of a few tic disorders in the DSM-5. Some of the others include:

Persistent (Chronic) Motor or Vocal Tic Disorder
    To be diagnosed with a persistent tic disorder, a person must:

• have one or more motor tics (for example, blinking or shrugging the shoulders) or vocal tics (for example, humming, clearing the throat, or yelling out a word or phrase), but not both.
    • have tics that occur many times a day nearly every day or on and off throughout a period of more than a year.
    • have tics that start before age 18 years.
    • have symptoms that are not due to taking medicine or other drugs, or due to having a medical condition that can cause tics (for example, seizures, Huntington disease, or postviral encephalitis).
    • not have been diagnosed with TS.
    Given Warpath's apparent lack of motor tics (a requirement for tourette's), it seems that he may actually have Persistent Motor or Vocal Tic Disorder.
    Provisional Tic Disorder
    To be diagnosed with a provisional tic disorder, a person must:

• have one or more motor tics (for example, blinking or shrugging the shoulders) or vocal tics (for example, humming, clearing the throat, or yelling out a word or phrase).
    • have been present for no longer than 12 months in a row.
    • have tics that start before age 18 years.
    • have symptoms that are not due to taking medicine or other drugs, or due to having a medical condition that can cause tics (for example, Huntington disease or postviral encephalitis).
    • not have been diagnosed with TS or persistent motor or vocal tic disorder.
    Not everyone with Tourette's Syndrome (or other tic disorders) displays coprolalia (swearing uncontrollably). It is a real symptom of the disorder, but it's a relatively uncommon one.

12. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

It seems like most of the known Transformers have some level of mental scarring or personality disorder. My guess, and feel free to tell me I am wrong if I am, is that most of those disorders stem in some way from Megatron recruiting the already mentally unstable and arming them and then unleashing them on the populace, which led to an enduring civil war which has nearly caused their species’ extinction. I’m surprised they don’t have a larger problem with suicide, tbh.

13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Thanks for clearing that up.

Considering how uncommon the cussing thing actually is I'm going to refer to "The Cussing Disorder" as something fictional that is totally different from Tourette's Syndrome. The actual symptoms of Tourette's seem so disconnected from the fictionalized "Cussing Disorder" that they feel like two completely different things to me.

14. Longitudinalwave

You're welcome!

15. Trooper028

From what I can tell Trypticon checks off at least 4 BPD traits

Trypticon doesn't stop blasting away until he's wading hip-deep in smoking rubble. He's the most efficient, lethal fighting machine yet devised by the Decepticons. He is completely without mercy or remorse. The only emotion that he is programmed to display is hatred. He hates everyone and everything. This feeling is always present; it only varies in intensity. He restrains his loathing for his fellow Decepticons enough to be minimally cooperative, but his hatred for Autobots knows no bounds. Humans do not inspire such strong feelings in him; he considers them barely worthy of his attention. But he also thinks they get in the way too much. Without blinking an optical module, he would level an entire city just to get a clear shot at an Autobot. He is supremely confident in his abilities, but unsure of the Decepticons' goals. Although he believes he will one day rule the Decepticons, he has so little use for anyone else that this prospect barely has any appeal to him. Trypticon makes no attempt to hide his feelings... except to himself. He can't admit to himself that his hatred for others is a mask for his own self-loathing. He'd rather be doing anything other than what he does. He secretly finds warfare boring and pointless. But he accepts the fact that fate has forced him into his role of the ultimate warrior... and nobody does it better!

idealizes then devalues relationships-So on one hand he wants to be in charge, on the other hand he doesn’t even see the point so he’s idealizing than devaluing his working relationship with the other ‘cons

identity disturbance-he questions his purpose and the Decepticons' goals, but feels forced to play out his role

chronic empty feeling-he finds his purpose as the ‘ultimate weapon’ boring and pointless

anger control problems-He hates everyone and everything (including himself)

• Like Like x 4
  16. masterchai

masterchai Member

I'd agree that Megatron is probably the root cause for all the mental disorders afflicting the Transformers, particularly for the Autobots. If you take into account that the Autobots were originally the Cybertronian bourgeoisie, then were suddenly thrust hip deep into an unending civil war and be on the losing side at that, it's bound to cause a few mental breakdowns as they try to cope with their new reality.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trooper028

Upon review I think Crankcase might also have ODD.

Crankcase is a wheezing, whining ingrate who is about as welcome as a rash of rust-rot, even among his fellow Triggercons. His favorite pastime is complaining about everything and everyone. Nothing is good enough for him. He delights in the misfortunes of others. Apparently, their misery makes him feel superior in some misguided, muddle-headed way. This juvenile "I'm-better-than-you-are" need in him stems from his youth, before he became a Decepticon. At that time he was little more than a gangly collection of circuits and servo-motors, performing a menial janitorial function in the Fuel-Spill Section of the Ministry of Energy and Nutrition on Cybertron. More robust fellow workers mocked his feeble physique and bullied him. Feeling alienated from and hatred of established society, Crankcase eagerly joined the Decepticons when they began their war against the Autobots. Megatron himself rebuilt Crankcase to give him increased bulk and strength. Crankcase's first action in his new body was to attack the Ministry of Energy and Nutrition. Millions of years later, the fuel spill he caused has yet to be fully cleaned up.

Angry/Irritable Mood: Often angry and resentful (towards society and those with 'power'-the other workers-over him)
    Argumentative/Defiant Behavior: Often deliberately annoys others (his constant complaining)
    Vindictive: His behavior does come off as rather spitefully driven

• Like Like x 2
  18. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Looking at characters with multiple heads again...

Cybertron Scourge, the three heads of his beast mode seem to mean... absolutely nothing.

[​IMG]

This guy have three heads in beast mode AND robot mode. His bio doesn't mention different personalities and keeps referring to him with singular pronouns but it does mention that he actually has three brains... and yet still isn't very intelligent.

It should also be noted this guy actually sort of, has three different names. Originally he was going to be released in Beast Machines as a Maximal under the name Cerberus. That was never actually released. This guy is a Predacon called Bruticus. He also seems to have been called Rover the Hellhound in early concept art. Since one name was a place holder that was never going to get used, another name went to an unreleased figure, his only official name is Bruticus. However he never appears outside of the RID2001 toy line. It could be pretty easy for this guy to be reimagined, rewritten, as a transformer with three different identities. Cerberus the Maximal, Bruticus the Predacon, and Rover the Hellhound... I imagine Rover specifically might have other mental illnesses the other two don't have as he doesn't even recognize himself as a Cybertronian but rather thinks he's an actual Hellhound.

Now there's a couple down sides to this idea I want to address.

1. Being that one is a Predacon and one is a Hellhound this could perpetuate the idea that alters are evil and scary. I want to make it very clear that DID is a disorder that forms to PROTECT. Some alters can be scary... I've had a few, in fact one in particular still scares the crap out of us even though he's been dormant for at least 10 years now. I don't know how he thinks he's helping us... but supposedly Persecutors are just misguided protectors. And yeah I have other former Persecutors who are Protectors NOW... Jack, Mike (who is an integration/fusion of two former Persecutors), ect...

A possible solution is not to portray them as straight up EVIL, just misguided. Though the way Bruticus is described he does just sound straight up evil.

2. The fact that the beast mode is a Cerberus/Hellhound... Cerberus is the Maximal's name and Rover only identifies as a Hellhound... could perpetuate the idea that alters are demons. I know this is ridiculous but I have friends in another system and their grandma still thinks that "she" is possessed by demons. It is sad that I even still need to say this but... DID is not demon possession.

I don't know how to fix this because even rewriting the character, his beast mode is still quite visibly a demonic creature. Maybe make it so humans just based the mythology around him and called him a demon even though he was never trying to hurt them? Actually that might even work into his back story. Stasis pod lands on Earth with a protoform inside. The stasis pod scans a regular dog. Originally only with one head. However due to mistreatment out of irrational fear the humans caused him to develop DID mutating his appearance from an innocent puppy to the monster they already assumed he was. Maybe Bruticus joins the Predacons just because he sees the Autobots and/or Maximals being friends with the humans who he knows are abusers. Rover is more neutral and doesn't join either side. Cerberus I think is not the last shred of good but rather the last shred of HOPE... that's why he's a Maximal and still tries to protect the humans even if they might not deserve it, not because he's the only GOOD guy in the system but because he's the only one who still believes humans can change. He doesn't have Trauma memories like the other two and isn't held back by what humans did to him in the past since he can't even remember it. He knows they did something bad but can't remember any details. But he also recognizes that the Predacons are bad NOW not just in the past.

This could be a very interesting story arc with huge amounts of character development not only for this three personality states but also the way other characters view them and interact with them. If written in a way where it's made clear that he's not actually a demon, and all three of his personalities eventually join the Maximals as heroic protectors... he could potentially be a nice representation... but if not handled correctly it could very easily go the other way and perpetuate some bad ideas. I'd really like to use this a vehicle to flip those false perceptions on it's head, make them part of the problem in universe and then reveal how all of those perceptions were wrong as the story goes on.

Did I just make a really obscure toy only character that no one really cared about before sound far more interesting than he actually is?

• Like Like x 1
  19. kevchy

kevchy Active Member

[​IMG]

Jawbreaker has depression.

• Like Like x 2