Transformers: War For Cybertron Trilogy: Siege Trailers

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by pie125, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Galvatron2000

Galvatron2000 Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    This look better day by day!

The Japanese voice actors were always more euphoric and passionate than the rest.I think it will be a good alternative for watch the series a couple of times more.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Furnace

Furnace Antroid at a picnic

It's interesting how different the marketing for this show is between the English-speaking and Japanese trailers. The former emphasizes the dark, gritty atmosphere while the latter emphasizes the characters' personalities. I wonder if this difference in marketing is reflective of a difference in the actual show's tone across the dubs as well.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Rojixus

Rojixus Celebrating 40 Years of Transformers!

I'll probably give the Japanese dub a shot, they seemed to have made an actual effort.

• Like Like x 4
  4. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh dont worry he made his opinion by being biased a long time ago

• Like Like x 3
  5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde born-again First Churcher

News Credits:
    You say that but he was easily a better character than the perpetual wet sock that Aligned Prime was, or the unhinged Bayverse character. Out of all the things to criticize the very flawed Sunbow show for, that ain't it.

• Like Like x 6
  6. weevil

weevil CHUG Fan!

News Credits:
    Japanese dub is great

7. Oktiduz

Oktiduz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Sure, I would love to articulately explain why I feel more drawn in by the Japanese voices. And let's get this straight: what I said was that I think it sounds better, not that it has better acting. And this is for a couple of reasons...

No 1. I can actually tell the voices apart. Especially in the first, I had a hard time with the other trailers following who was speaking. In the Japanese however, it's very easy to attribute the voice to who's speaking

No 2. There seems to be hints of personalities that come through because of the voices. For instance, with Megatron, I feel the tone in his Japanese voice is much more sinister than his American one. And comparing both Optimus voices, Optimus Prime sounds much more like a commander than just a guy trying to do a deep voice. And from what Lindsay Rosseau has said about her character, Elita One in the Japanese trailer fits more of that bill as she sounds so much more powerful and decisive.

No 3. There seems to be actual inflection. In the American trailers, all of it just sounds kind of the same? However, in this one, there seems to be wider vocal range as in the voices go up and down and just has more resonance to it.

No 4. It's just mellifluous?

Look, for all I know, in the American trailers, they didn't showcase the best voice acting or the best lines. Maybe the Japanese just made a better piece of marketing. Maybe I'll prefer their acting to the Japanese one. The only things I know are:
    1. I don't think the voice acting nor how it sounds is particularly strong in the American marketing material.
    2. I like how the Japanese one sounds.
    3. This Japanese trailer has me hyped for the show. Isn't this the only reason you need just to be happy for me because it seems like you want people to be excited for this show?

Is that enough for you? What exactly is wrong with this opinion? A lot of other people on these boards agree, so it's not like I'm the only one who prefers this at a first glance. And on the topic of acting, I think that in some ways, acting transcends the language barrier, the same way music does.

I think I've been pretty reserved with my praise and criticisms with this show because I don't want to trample on people's excitement nor seem like a die-hard supporter. But I don't think it's wrong at all to say that I'm not terribly impressed by it. It's just my opinion. Does that make me biased? Of course it does because that's what trailers are supposed to do. In the same breath, I would say the people praising it are biased too. Now, the important thing is whether we can give this show a fair shot after its release. I don't want this to be a Last Jedi situation where I've seen people personally just jump on the bandwagon of claiming it to be the worst movie in existence. Nor do I want this to be a Batman V Superman situation where I've seen enormous hype around it that resulted in more than a few people I know trying to convince themselves it's the best comic book movie ever made for a few months after its release. I think most people here have the humility to give this show a fair chance according to their own fundamental opinions on what makes something good or bad to them - both on those who support this show and those who don't.

I don't think people here want to see this fail nor do I think many of those with a negative perception of this project do. I think many of the negative opinions here have some validity to it based on the trailers. I'm happy for people like you who are excited and believe me, I want to be in that camp too. But please don't write off my opinions just because of my perceptions on this project.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ramjet555

Ramjet555 Well-Known Member

That's absolutely a valid point, but a lot of these VA's are terrible in their roles from what we've seen, and it's likely Rooster Teeth mismanaging casting and just playing favorites/casting friends like they always do. I'm not a "G1 OR BUST!!!" guy, Fred Tatasciore in the WFC/FoC games is my favorite Megatron voice, and David Kaye a close second, but there's growing into a role and just being plain bad for a role. On top of that, the voice direction just sounds terrible in the English trailers, there's no inflection. It's all the same.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Wheeljack84

Wheeljack84 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Peter Cullen and Frank Welker are great talents, but they don't own the roles.

Secondly, Keith Silverstein who plays Jetfire in WFC, is a great talent who has done a lot of great work on past shows. He also voiced multiple characters in Fall of Cybertron. To name a few other things he's done, he voiced Full Frontal and Char Aznable in Gundam Unicorn, Gild Tesoro in the One Piece Gold movie, and Kirby O'Neil in the 2012 TMNT series. He has a long proven career of solid work and credits across anime, video games, and pre-lay animation.

What happened with War for Cybertron casting could've been any number of things. It could've been money, logistics, scheduling, union regs, etc. I don't know all the specifics on the casting. This is pure speculation on my part, but my guess is they probably didn't have an unlimited budget for this project, so maybe they wanted to invest more in the animation and visuals. You can't look at the footage we've seen so far for this show and tell me it looks worse than Cyberverse and Prime Wars. It looks leagues better in terms of visuals, dynamic lighting, effects, shadowing, detail, and just pure animation fluidity.

Let's also just note that in the 1990s, when Ocean Group/Mainframe did Beast Wars and they primarily used the Canadian voice actor pool. Even for the existing G1 characters, they didn't use any of the original voice characters. And they simply did a great job.

Let's also note when they brought in the big names for the Prime Wars Trilogy S2 and S3, the voice acting did not sound that great. Sure, the actors were/are great, but their scripts were awful. Their direction was awful, and it was just a clunky, awkward mess.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  10. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    holy! the japanese dub sounds really good! i love how elita and bumblebee voice sounds. i might just watch the japanese dub, snce they're calling it anime anyways.

11. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Dinobot and Blackarachnia each had this arc during BW. It's not an uncommon one in fiction, either.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

given that the allspark shares it's cyberverse design and that cheetor was listed as a netflix siege figure, i think he may have similar role as cyberverse

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wheeljack84

Ebay:
    In the original G1 animated canon, Skyfire is a Decepticon scout/scientist when we first meet him. His backstory wasn't very fleshed out either.

Listen I love G1 guys but let's not pretend they were perfect at storytelling. Look at that clip from the first Skyfire episode. It shows Starscream using his EARTH ALT-MODE as a VEHICULAR EARTH JET LEAVING CYBERTRON WITH SKYFIRE. Megatron even says that was right before their falling out with the Autobots. Not to mention, the footage shows them flying to an Earth with the current modern-day continents fully formed. Also, who was even filming them? How did those cameras work? Do Cybertronians have software that perfectly externalizes and recreates their memories but misses details like Starscream's original Cybertronian alt-mode? How would Skyfire even recognize Starscream's new alt-mode when he's been frozen and in stasis for MILLIONS OF YEARS!

• Like Like x 4
  14. Autobot N

Autobot N Wants a Legacy Sunstorm

Everyone here is upset about Welker and Cullen, but I’m just sad that they couldn’t bring back David Soblov for Shockwave. Probably an unpopular opinion, but his I prefer his Shockwave over anyone else’s.

• Like Like x 3
  15. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Not everyone.

• Like Like x 7
  16. Wheeljack84

Ebay:
    If it's a matter of union regulations, and if this show was a non-union dubbed show as I understand, that's likely why Sobolov didn't work on it.

Case in point, you don't see Steven Blum working on much anime these days since a lot of anime English dubs are non-union projects, and most of Blum's shows are SAG-AFTRA endorsed shows these days. He does work on Netflix dubs still, but those are clearly union-approved dub shows. Now granted, don't take my word on all that, that's just what I believe is going on based on my limited knowledge. IE why we didn't see or hear any of the original TMNT VA's working on the 2003 animated series, Turtles Forever, etc. Show was non-union and primarily used NY-based talents. Obviously, things were different for the 2012 series, which did cross over with the classic 1980s animated series and used all the original Turtle VAs for Ralph, Leo, Mikey, Donny, and Krang.

I mean I love Fred Tatasciore's work too, but look at his credits, most of his shows are likely LA-based union-approved projects.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Autobot N

Autobot N Wants a Legacy Sunstorm

Don’t get me wrong, I fully understand why they didn’t do it. Still kinda sad about it anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  18. xd Accrocate

xd Accrocate Tell Megatron, 'Let's tango'

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I've decided: I'll try to watch the Japanese dub. I just love Bumblebee's voice, I think it's perfect. Since I'm used to anime, I think it'll be a good experience. Hopefully the iconic lines are still there, otherwise i'll feel weird when you guys are gonna discuss it :lol 

if this plays as the opening, its gonna be legendary

this one is way better, wow transformers has some banger anime ops

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Wheeljack84

Ebay:
    Well if people watch Season 1 and the show does well, the situation might change for Season 2. Case in point, Machinima brought in bigger names for S2 and S3 for the Prime Wars trilogy, for better or worse.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    I forgot tmnt2k3 was non union, they had a great voice cast

• Like Like x 1