Minor/Repaint: Transformers War For Cybertron Siege Smokescreen & Barricade

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by LostPrime, Jan 1, 2020.

1. LostPrime

LostPrime Well-Known Member

Flickr:
    My son said earlier yesterday after using nail polish while attempting to fix a break on Fort Max, "But dad I was just trying to be like you, everything you work on is awesome!" I had to go show him a cupboard and a few drawers of failure projects and explain: "Time grants us experience, but failure helps us remember often more clearly what it was we learned last time around." We then ordered some Tamiya 87137 Cement for ABS from Amazon and will have to work on Max later. But that brings me to my most recent tinker.
    Though Barricade was a beautiful figure by all rights, smokescreen was nearly the weakest of the lot. Smokescreen was one of the G1 characters from the show and toys that I really liked as a kid. I never had him my neighbor did. While looking at the group of the Siege mold next to each other I thought I might try something. Having done it, I can assure you win or fail this is the way they will remain as it was much more complicated and frustrating to do than I thought it was going to be. Adding the grey (a bit purple tinge to it I know but you can hardly tell) to him made his character more light, and swapping the parts with Barricade brought out more of his dark nature. So I think we are good with it, do I suggest anyone else try this? If you have patience some tools and can be REALLY careful, fly at it! Else I suggest you enjoy the bots in their awesome native coloring.

Yes I was really slow accepting this mold as Prowl was at first a let down for me, However I can now say I am quite happy that I have them...and I might have got them all except Prowl on holiday sales so that helped. 49310412558_87feebae08_k.jpg 49310412568_f26934477d_k.jpg

• Like Like x 14
  2. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Always liked Smokescreen. Nice work, it really differentiates him.

3. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat Extraordinary League Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I really like that. I didn’t even think about doing it but it looks really good. Was the hardest part the knees? I assume so as the rest look like mushroom pegs.

4. LostPrime

Flickr:
    Yes getting the pegs out of the knees was not fun, but believe it or not getting the thighs off and getting the hands out and swapping was for my project the part that really set me back. Those little suckers are in there good!

• Like Like x 1
  5. LostPrime

Flickr:
    Newmanium asked if I could show how I knocked out the knee pegs. As I have already done it I wasn't wanting to re-do it but here are the tools I used to do it though there are actually better tools one I don't have is called an automatic center punch. I just used a a plain Jane punch then it was a little large so I grabbed an aluminum rivet that was the same size as the pin. The trick seems to be to make as few hits with the hammer (that's right a hammer!) as possible with more force than to make more hits with less force. <<<<<<BUT>>>>>>>> MAKE SURE THE BACK IS FREE for the pin to go out - that's what the board was for I pre-drilled some holes in it then lined them up so that the pin would knock out into the whole. Make the hole just big enough so that it still provides support for the knee. Knocking it all the way out is easier than trying to grab it with pliers and pull it out, - that really didn't work on this figure sometimes it does but on these ones it was way cleaner on both for the figure and the pin when re-inserting the pin later. Again the better path was to knock it all the way out. Hope that helps but if not check out this video:
    49312956608_96a6e9820d_k.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kamen Ranger Bat

Kamen Ranger Bat Extraordinary League Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I ended up only swapping the arms. The pins made me feel uncomfortable especially with the transclearant plastic.

Thank you for the idea though. Totally worth it. Might even paint the “belt” of barricade to complete the look.

• Like Like x 1
  7. LostPrime

Flickr:
    No worries and enjoy!

• Like Like x 1