Transformers vs Visionaries #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by HeroicC300, Jan 2, 2018.

1. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that's just the Visionaries' particular form of magic.

I was thrilled to see that Darkstorm statue in his classic armor. Good to see that the Visionaries were once recognizable in this new mythos.

Unfortunately, there were no spell poems or animal totems...yet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    wasn't one of the visionaries spells an aging one or a rapid decay type thing? looks to me like breakdown and kup were rusting to death.

i agree i don't think it's magic in general i think it's just that type of magic was particularly effective

3. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Bad business this.

For the record, I was completely on board with this title when it was announced. Loved the redesigns, love Visionaries, like the idea of them interacting with Transformers. No problems with the writer either.

But this was a dull first issue. Editorial-mandated shock deaths are not necessarily a bad thing, but in the first issue? It wasn't earned, it had no ironic or poetic sense to it. I'm not a particular fan of Kup, but this was a shit decision and a stupid thing to lumber a new writer with.

Worse, though - there's barely any connection to the original Visionaries, other than the names and the general vague 'magic-powered society' concept. The characters are unrecognisable - and I mean in terms of their voices and their actions, rather than their look. Cindarr, the dumb brute hiding a soft heart, is now the intellectual of the Darkling Lords. Leoric spends all his time arguing and being grumpy. Merlin has lost all his mystique because we get to see his damned inner monologue.

No holograms. No poems to unleash the magic.

They're barely even knights.

Well, I liked Cindarr's pipe at least.

• Like Like x 5
  4. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Darkstorm's power was Decay using his magic staff. Virulina made you sick using her shield (in the STAR Comics continuity).

5. battlefudge

battlefudge Still in the biz...

I picked this up, and I think I will stick to the wiki for the rest. I did not read a single review before hand. I also know nothing about the visionaries, save for they used to show up a lot in Value Village bins, with the hologram things missing.
    So I was an open book.
    This is what I saw:
    Two warring factions, one bad following a Megalomaniac bent on galactic domination, one good bent on stopping the Megalomaniac, devastated their homeworld during the civil war. Now they have moved to a new world where their war threatens to re-ignite and consume another planet.
    Hmmmmm.... Where have I read that before? Oh right, every 80s property ever.
    I don't know. I don't like "magic." It seems dumb to me. It will invariably have rules, but those rules will get dispensed with as convenience dictates. Because it is magic. So they posses magic, but didn't magic themselves a moon or something? Why not convert say Jupiter? Why did have to be Cybertron? I know there was some interior monologue by the main bad guy, so maybe that was answered, but it did not come across to me.
    I have been given no reason to care about the visionaries. I know I am supposed to be rooting for Leoric. But He had a little dialogue and said "wait, be reasonable" a bunch. Maybe if we had seen a little of what his war cost him?
    Kup, well I didn't really follow the Revolutionaries much, mostly wikis on that. But he is a character that had stalled. He seemed like the same guy no matter what situation ever since his Spotlight. So his death is really a progression for his character IMHO.

Obviously they won't blow up Cyberton. Obviously Wheeljack will figure out a defense and a weapon in probably the third issue that will help the transformers.

We will probably lose Tankor, Waspinator... My guess is Wheeljack will bite it too. But that is a guess.

IDK, I didn't really care for it. Win me back IDW!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Funny enough, after they woke up and started fixing their mess with Rebirth, by now DC is in a condition (both writing and art wise) in which both Marvel and IDW wish to be able to be.
    Their latest Batman run is excellent and Superman might not be worthy of the Eisner prize but still is entertaining and written in the way both IDW and Bayverse never were able to do their Optimus (once again proving that the problem is not with paragon-type characters but with writers).

IDW on the other hand? They're going full Marvelous failure. Sooo adamant at building their own Secret Empire.

Here's hoping it'll end for them as well as it did end for the House of (Bad) Ideas. They don't deserve better.

Good thing they kept ARAH out of this.

My trust left in IDW is zero and I have no expectations of them doing anything right in any foreseeable future.

And yes, IDW Unicron is also linked to their Knights of Magical Sh*t. Which is why it's already blacklisted for me and I'm not going to ever read it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Transmit Him

Transmit Him Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm a big Visionaries fan and I've been cautiously optimistic about this. I was quite disappointed in how MASK was revived and couldn't shake the worry this might end up the same way.

But, on the whole, I liked it. It's not perfect, by any means, but it works fairly well for the most part.

I like the redesigns, generally. Most of the characters feel legitimate to the originals (except Cindarr, but I get the feeling that's a deliberate change with a plot point looming -
    maybe he's actually the supposedly dead Darkstorm in disguise?
    ) although they don't really get to do enough here. It's a very strange decision not to show any of them using their totems or summons powers in this first issue - if I didn't know anything about Visionaries (as I suspect a lot of the younger TF comics audience don't) I'm not sure I'd really have a clue why they've all got animal symbols on their chests, because nothing is mentioned or shown of them. But I generally only ever trade-wait comics, so reading a single issue is always going to feel a bit light and lacking to me.

Fico's art for humans is great, his TFs are... getting better. The colouring's really nice. And there's even an appearance of Darkstorm's original design (with his original totem, which I was really worried would get ditched - people who dream up Visionaries revivals always miss the point of the character and want to make him a dragon) which pleases me immensely.

Kup dying is a pretty transparent stunt demanded by editorial, but I don't for a moment believe it's going to stick for the length of the mini series, let alone long term, so I can't work up any hard feelings about it. And is death really worse than hanging out on Earth with Action Man? Really?

So, yeah, there's still opportunities for it to screw things up (I get the feeling from an interview on SyFy's website, Maggs has altered the functions of the totems so that they summon the animals, rather than turn into them, which is concerning, but I'll wait and see on that) but I'll be back next month.

8. Transmit Him

Transmit Him Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It's worth pointing out that the people who run The Visionaries.net also run Transformers @ The Moon and help organise TF Nation, so they're as big Transformers fans as they are Visionaries fans.

9. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh look, Virulina is Megatron!

Except, not an interesting Megatron, because there's no revolutionary spirit here.

10. smkheidze

smkheidze sideswipe and sideswipe and even more sideswipe.

what is up with IDW and the mounting death count? I know they think that it is what the cool kids are doing, but they need to take a step back and look at what is happening to the Walking Dead show. This "shock value" crap gets old. People get tired of it and they stop tuning in/reading. Sure it masks crappy writing for a while, but not forever. In all honesty, I for one am kind of tired of the mingling of Cybertronians with organics....let' just have stories about Cybertronians without having to get humanoids involved. I don't need to see human-esque characters to feel a connection to a book...just good stories and good characters. Transformers has plenty of both.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Quirinus

Quirinus Member

I agree wholeheartedly with this. In the past few months, there's been Kup, Sideswipe (whose final comic was, at least, a fantastic issue IMO), Mirage, 4 of 5 Protectobots (assuming there's no fake out there), Atomizer and Searchlight, along with the confirmation of Freeway and Wideload. I may be forgetting some even.

Related - I've dropped almost every Marvel book possible but one of the two I am getting is all about teasing/possibly bringing back a score of 'killed off' characters (the current Phoenix resurrection mini).

• Like Like x 2
  12. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Roberts said on Twitter that the Protectobots we saw get shot in the hanger we’re apparently all still alive.

13. Boatformer

Boatformer #HaulOfFame

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    You take that back.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I thought the original show had a pretty good take on magic. It was a sort of pliable electricity - magic users needed to recharge their weapons, certain ingredients were needed to create particular effects, and spell-poems were needed to shape it into one-use attacks. Part of what gave the cartoon episodes a decent sense of tension was the idea that once a character had used their power staff once, it was drained dry until they'd had a chance to recharge it at Merklyn's pool. So you have *one* massive energy arrow per battle, *one* Wikipedia search (Arzon's knowledge bearer power), one high-speed relocation - there's a good bit in the second episode where Witterquick uses his staff to travel to the exterior of New Valaric, thinking he's home and dry. But Kravex is waiting for him at the moat, and says, "No use having the power of lightspeed if we already know your destination!"

15. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. I’d hate to have David Marionettes job. “When IDW editorial made the suggestion” reads like a typical middle management job with very limited decision making power. This “memorial” reads like “management told us to this, and I like my job, so I support it”.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

It is, however, a long time venerable tradition for masses to de-elect them with a well-placed pitchfork or maybe a guillotine.

I think it's almost like a "reverse democracy".

I don't think the plebs of Prysmos have that much political awareness, tho...

I'm trusting Ironhide to make Cybertron great again, anyway.

Surely an average Cybertronian citizen isn't cool with letting in that many refugees when the economy isn't in best shape...

• Like Like x 1
  17. hardlurk

News Credits:
    I wonder if the death in Shining Armor was originally spitballed by editorial as A Shocking Twist To Get the Fans Buzzing and Barber was like "wait, that makes no sense, how about we do something that isn't stupid instead?"

18. hardlurk

News Credits:
    How does the Cybertronian economy work? What do Transformers need to maintain their standard of living? What are the means of production? Who owns them?

19. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Cybertronian Kitty

News Credits:
    Spoiler'd in case no one has read the TFWiki like i did:
    So the "Talisman" is heading for the core of Cybertron to corrupt it... Didn't we see this plot already, with the Aligned continuity? Way to go guys, yet another limited series with a 'countdown to impending doom' theme.

20. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I thought it was a decent issue.

While I'm not interested in the Visionaries (at all), their situation (luddites simultaneously trapped on, and attacking, a mechanical planet and its inhabitants) is a rich setup.

But it kind of felt like the Kup's and Ironhide's character were swapped in this issue. In recent TF stories Ironhide seemed to be the patient and benevolent one. Having him be the reactionary hot-head felt out of place here, IMO.

Hopefully the remaining issues have some better earned gravitas going forward. The potential for real harm to the TFs and Cybertron is extremely high. I'd hate to see that wasted.