Transformers Vs. The Visionaries #1 PREVIEW

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lucas35, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Being a short cartoon series doesn't mean its a bad or unpopular series. There were other factors at play resulting in its early demise.

Don't let Sunbow losing their contract with Hasbro or the toyline not doing so well mislead you into thinking the TV show was bad. It was a good decent show still. You never even watched the show, so how can you be someone to judge the quality of the show?

• Like Like x 4
  2. MapleSamurai

MapleSamurai MapleSamurai

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Huh. Looks like the Visionaries that will end up fighting the Transformers are the ones that are supposed to be the bad guys in the first place. If this comic sticks to that idea, then I think it will be safe to say that IDW has finally learned that not only are people are sick of the whole "heroes fighting other heroes instead of the actual villains even though they should fucking know better" schtick in comics, but have been sick of it long before IDW pulled it.

We can only hope.

• Like Like x 2
  3. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    sunbow lost the contract on gi joe but DIC picked it up...transformers came back with beast wars but still replayed G1 under the G2 banner to go along with a booming toy line...didn't visionaries cancel a second series to their toyline?...if it was a good property someone would have bought it up and revived it long before now. obviously at that time it didn't have the popularity or demand to keep it going. be realistic...canceled cartoon, discontinued toyline, extremely short comic series...this wasn't a highly sought after property. whatever they attempted to do with visionaries didn't catch on...clearly...so they're trying something radically different. it's not always the end of the world. it might not (probably won't) work but this isn't exactly a beloved classic property that doesn't need a radical change. this was a blink and you'll miss it late 80's cartoon that needed more than it was to stay relevant and stay in demand.

there's a reason gi joe, transformers, tmnt, he man, voltron, mlp, ghostbusters, and other 80s cartoons/properties keep getting revived and things like visionaries don't...some franchises are worth it others aren't. and by the way those other properties i mentioned all went through various changes and kept reinventing themselves as the years went on. you think you guys would be used changes by now...nothing from the 80's is the same as it is now. things do have to change otherwise what's the point of bringing it back? watch the old stuff if you fear the change. this is how it goes....

and i'll clarify as a kid no i never watched it...but after a decade or so of owning a visionaries toy and never knowing where it was from i've since watched some of the show...it's okay...not great...not groundbreaking..but okay. i can see why it was buried in obscurity for almost 30 years

• Like Like x 2
  4. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon stuff dreams are made of

ill give you the biggest example of all time, firefly! huge fanbase people are still watching it even no the boss of the network didn't like it so away it goes. fastforward to today and it is only alive still because of the fans.

visionaires was a great show the toys were just too expensive to make at the time so it disappeared and no-one fought for it. now what we have is the remake and people remembering the old show they loved looking his up and being disgusted by the nonsense. aside from all the social justice changing where is the armour? these are KNIGHTS of the magical light! not punks of the mad max!

• Like Like x 3
  5. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think that people knew about Visionaries and thought it was terrible. People probably just didn't know about it or get into it because they were into Ghostbusters and Ninja Turtles. It doesn't mean that other properties weren't great ideas. They got lost in the shuffle. The 80's was an extremely competitive time for properties and only the most popular toylines survived. Spiral Zone, Wheeled Warriors. Sectaurs. Bionic Six. TigerSharks. Centurions. Inhumanoids. Defenders of the Earth.

I'm thinking that the idea was sound, but the timing was wrong.

6. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    Quit pretending you care about Visionaries already, all of you. It's not impressing anybody here.

• Like Like x 2
  7. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well firefly also had a theatrical released movie to close out the series and comic books on a pretty consistent basis the last few years. Also for a shot time the show was reaired but I forget the channel.

It survied by fans yea but it had a ton of extra media to help and didnt get cancelled all that long before this stuff started. Visionaries was languishing with nothing since 1989.

As far as no magic goes....its just a preview...magic could still happen regardless the costume change

• Like Like x 1
  8. MapleSamurai

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Because obviously no one is ever legitimately a fan of an obscure property! Clearly it's much more likely that they're just pretending to like it to "impress" people! :p 

But seriously, why is it so hard for you to believe that people actually like Visionaries?

• Like Like x 2
  9. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Battlestar Galactica?

10. CleverNamePendingatron

CleverNamePendingatron Just an ordinary cassette. Nothing to see here.

I assumed Scarlett’s Strike Force was going to fill that role. Given that REVOLUTION led to REVOLUTIONaries, it makes sense that First STRIKE leads to STRIKE Force. Guess it doesn’t matter now though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At the end the day, Hasbro already has two wildly popular, not obscure fantasy properties: Dungeons and Dragon and Magic: The Gathering. Trying to make Visionaries relevant again just feels...odd?

You say that, but you know it's coming.

That book seems pretty tied to its own little storyline.

12. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

See, the thing I don't understand when IDW adds one foolishness after another to their halfassed shared 'verse...

Why they're making a generic name slap called the Visionaries if they're not going to follow the titular (dead) franchise?

I can say I did not recall the name without googling for it.

I'm pretty sure the only people caring about this brand want it close to the source material.

I don't care therefore I don't want it littering TF pages at all.

Stop making TFs whoring itself to get any traction for one rotting carcass of a franchise after another.

So at who exactly this fallacy is aimed?

The Visionaries fans in majority will mostly reject it because it's even more of a name slap than are Bayformers and if you wanted your loved franchise back... This won't do it.

The Transformers comic book readers are also likely for their majority to reject it because it's yet another time when TFs are just a crutch. Also, this was advertised with the most moronic and detached from the fandom approach of showing someone's beloved characters abused and dismembered by nobodies from a dead franchise. Good job IDW...

Is the book really going to bring that much money? Are irredemable IDW fan addicts purchasing everything that much of a buying force?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Spectrelobo

Spectrelobo Well-Known Member

I would love to see visionaries make a comeback, and if transformers have to be part of it then do it justice.

• Like Like x 2
  14. maltesefalcon

maltesefalcon stuff dreams are made of

im just hoping this will eventually lead to a toyline revival of gi joe visionaires and mask

• Like Like x 1
  15. optimusmegas

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this won't revive any toy lines the upcoming movies will....then the real rage from 'die hard' visonaries fans will be begin. if you think this is a departure from source material strap the fuck in for the movie

• Like Like x 2
  16. MapleSamurai

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    It's actually not that strange an idea. Like you said, D&D and MtG are already popular, so probably don't need any kind of publicity boost. Visionaries, on the other hand, is a property that hasn't done anything with for a while and, while it does have its fans, hasn't had as impactful a legacy as their other brands. So Hasbro's options are either sit on this franchise until that planned movie comes out and hope enough people will see it for the accompanying toys to sell, or introduce it into the IDWverse so more people will know about it when that day comes. And for better or worse, this New Prysmos has gotten people talking about Visionaries, so mission accomplished as far as Hasbro is concerned.

17. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or Path C: Just make a toyline around Magic or Dungeons and Dragons and support a proven concept.

18. Spectrelobo

Spectrelobo Well-Known Member

Mtg already has board games out and for dnd they did make toys but didn't sell well enough to continue the line. Visionaries had a TV show and a toy line although story wasn't that great toys were ahead of the time using holographic images. I know of only 1 other toy line to use them it had monsters and ghost theme.

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I do care. I have the DVD and outside of Transformers, I'm not one to buy DVDs of old cartoon shows. I'd also object if IDW did a new C.O.P.S or Bots Master comic and changed everything about the original cartoons to make them completely unrecognisable. I don't care for The Inhumanoids though, we didn't get that in the U.K. as far as I'm aware and only ever watched one episode because it was on the same VHS tape as a Transformers episode, but if it did return as a new comic, I'd still want it to stay true to the original.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Or heck do a Visionaries campeign setting for D&D, that'd be easy enough.
    Hey if they do a Transformers VS My Little Pony like the last GI Joe vs Transformers I think it could work.
    Doubtful. The toy market today isn't like the toy market of the 80's.

• Like Like x 2