Transformers vs. GIJoe #5

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Anguirus, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm crossposting my Hot Take from Deadshirt.net.

This issue is a serious doubling down. If this book’s quirks–hyper-compression, free-form art, gleeful carnage, and general irreverence–annoy you, then you’re going to be hopping mad. But if you’ve been grooving on this inimitable series, then sit back cause Scioli’s turning the volume up.

If the other IDW books de-emphasize these franchises’ toy-based roots, this book makes the most of them. The early splash panel of two Decepticon titans bearing down on Metroplex feels like the world’s biggest toybox, filtered through a precocious child’s imagination. The rest of the issue delivers on the epic battle promised here. The multiple plotlines threading through events on Cybertron and back on Earth teeter on the edge of coherence. But it’s ultimately a triumph of storytelling that nearly every major plot point from the previous five issues is addressed or wrapped up here, and others are introduced.

This issue feels like the start of a new era, both in story and in stylization. Scioli’s gleeful references and reinventions are denser than ever before, with particularly inspired re-imaginings of the Quintessons and a couple of Beast Wars characters. The drawback is that the story logic is now feeling strained. In this issue’s production notes, co-writer John Barber actually misinterprets a fairly significant plot point. If that’s not a sign that the brakes should be pumped a little, I don’t know what is.

Bottom line, this series puts a lot of trust in the reader to interpret the chaotic events. That’s refreshing and welcome, but not for everyone. So far, it’s been appealing to classic comics fans more than it has Transformers and Joe fans. The breakneck storytelling will challenge the latter, but for the first time I’m thinking that the mythology is getting so dense and so dependent on the earlier iterations of the franchise that the former will be challenged as well. I loved the bejeezus out of this issue, but I actually hope its “Scioli-ness” has just peaked, and that we’ll settle into a Wackiness Quotient somewhere in-between this issue and the previous.

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Can't wait to read the comic.

...and I can't wait to read the comments.

3. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    This issue was spectacular. And that Megatron scene was inspired.

Next issue now please.

4. MegaRoadbuster

MegaRoadbuster Well-Known Member

This is the first issue where I'd have to agree with someone if they said the plot was kinda confusing. So much is going on at such a quick pace, that it can be hard to keep up. I think Scioli should let things breath a little. I think it was a missed opportunity not to have the Fort Max stuff be one entire issue. When he says in the commentary that he imagined Max's to be like a dungeon and Dragaons like play ground, I wanted to see that, because I now he'd have made it Awesome. Plus the stuff with the reimagined Blackarachnia, which was great by the way. And I felt the covered word bubbles were a little much this time, and covered up dialogue that seemed central and emotional to the plot. HOWEVER.....

this is still a shit load of fun. The art might make things somewhat confusing, but damn every page is great to look at over and over. I love the high stakes action and this actually felt like the end of the first arc compared to last issue. And even though his steranko style compression has it's faults when he has to much going on like this issue, it's still amazing how he's able to do the things he does and still keep the pacing just about right.

The mythology is starting to get dense, but I can't help but love what he's doing with it.

So much fun and inventive. Can't wait till next issue.

In fact, when he was doing his 24 hour comic book challenge back in December, the last page of this issue was actually apart of that.

5. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is definitely one spoiler that people are gonna be mad about. But I like how Megatron feels unassailable, even once you get past Trypticon.

No one's safe and nothing's certain in this series, but Megatron is a very credible Big Bad. Which is pretty cool given that in mainline IDW Megatron is in a very different place and role.

6. MegaRoadbuster

Well, to be fair, it's not like that bot/person can't come back.

This is old school. Anything can happen. This issue pretty much makes it clear, pretty much confirmed from that 24 hour challenge he did for issue 6, that another villain will return. And look how he "DIED"

7. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    this is my last issue of this book.....it's too all over the place the wording and pacing are just awful...i get what this book is attempting to do but i dont feel it's doing it right. it's cutting around too quick and just ending very blah each issue.

8. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wholeheartedly understand dropping this book. It is a WEIRD, WEIRD beastie.

But damn, in what way did this issue not end with a bang? That last page is solid awesome.

9. MegaRoadbuster

Damn straight. How can you not love Prime flying through space destroying colton bolts?

This comic would be ideal for adaptation for the next TV series. Every issue so far feels like watching 22 minutes of an 80's cartoon with an Adventure Time flare.

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm still in love with the book, but I'll concur that with this issue, the freneticism has escalated to point where Scioli honestly needs to pull back a bit. I mean, I don't have any trouble *following* it, but the unsignposted panel-to-panel narrative LEAPS in this issue, across literal space and time at some points, are pushing the concept to breaking point.

11. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is insane, and I love it.

Seriously, my only realy complaint about this book is how last issue one of the Oktober Guard members spoke in Greek speech bubbles instead of Russian ones. Not sure why that was.

Pacing does seem to be a bit too fast, even for this book, but it honestly did not bother me.
    Love how creative it is on all fronts: character reimaginations, panel layouts and speech. Well done.

12. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I'm surprised they're still on issue 5. To me, it feels like this series started half a year ago. Maybe that's cause I haven't paid attention to it

13. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

It did start half a year ago, there just have been tons of delays because Scioli basically does the whole comic by himself.

14. Anguirus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...it's a monthly.

There have been six issues.

"Half a year" is exactly what we'd expect, no? :lol 

15. MegaRoadbuster

You have to wonder if he's trying to compromise with writing for the trade and doing whatever he can to get what he wants in 20 pages. Clearly that's the limit, advertisements would take the place of the commentary of other comics. The first trade was about the meeting and alliances between the groups. This new arc will start the storyline of Cobra Commanders return and apparent ancient history between the various groups involving that axe thing, alone with Venoms plans.

In that way I think he tries to fall back on his web-comic background, for better or worse. If you notice each page counts in this issue. No image has anything that really crosses over to another page. Each page is essentially its own story. Which is great, brilliant even. It does, however, ask the reader to do a lot in connecting the dots. How did Prime, Duke, and Snake Eyes escape the Quintessons? How did Arcee and Tunnel Rat defeat Blackarachnia? All big plot points, and at the same time does finding out the specifics really matter? Maximus was clearly a zombie, because of Blackarachnia's brain mines. Which also effect the minds of those inside. Tunnel Rat and friends storm the castle for their pets. They confront Blackarachnia. They defeat her, destroy the mines, and everybody is cool again. We just never see her beat or the mines destroyed. It's a wierd artistic choice, that I'm sure was done in classic comcis before. Did we need to see any of that? No. Would have liked too though. Which I think causes the criticism.

I've since read the issue a few more times, and all my compliants have lessoned a bit. Still, the constant jumping can be a little irksome. But hell Grant Morrison does that too.

16. DarkWarGrimlock

DarkWarGrimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think this one was a little rushed in areas, but man, was it great. RIP one of my favorite characters. I liked this particular take a lot, too, but that's why it makes so much sense that he'd die. The Beast Wars homage that came with it was terrific. Love that Scioli isn't limiting himself to G1 with that and Blackarachnia. Would've liked to have seen more of her. I hope she and Baroness (Or whatever her Cobra Commander name was, been awhile since I've read the previous issues) meet up at some point, assuming she's not done for already.

17. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    I freaking love this book. Easily my favorite TF series out right now after MTMTE.

18. cashel

cashel Well-Known Member

This book is my second favorite current continuity. I'm a g.I. Joe a real American hero (hama's 1982 original). But my other is idw's tf collection. Scioli's tf vs Joe is more a silverage cosmic/crazy ride that doesn't even require the reader to like Joe or tf. But if you do- it adds an extra layer of fun. I always liked humans co-starring in tf continuities providing easy access and a relevant pov that lures you easily into an alien mythology that's robots might prove difficult to tell apart. Tf vs Joe allows the joes and cobras to not only provide perspective but actually feel like they are an even more important aspect. But it's the tf mythology and special teams I look the most forward to discovering. Personally I enjoy the '84-87 transformers the most while w/ Joe I'm just the opposite and want newer characters to be embraced as arah doesn't feature them. Only complaint : the horribly irregular shipping schedule. It is still an ongoing-right?

19. Fallout

Fallout preach electric to a microphone stand

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    after hearing about blackarachnia's redesign for the comic i finally found a picture and i... wow. certainly a different take on her lol

20. God Ginrai

God Ginrai Energon Enthusiast

Indeed....