Transformers Vs. GI Joe #3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Thelonicon, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm surprised nobody else has started this yet, but I managed to sneak over to my comic store this afternoon to grab issue 3 (and the much delayed latest issue of Atomic Robo.)

Now to break the issue down into the good, the bad, and the just plain weird!

Spoilers ahead!

The Good:
    The layouts and use of panels mixed with splash pages continue to impress me. As pointed out in the commentary one page has 12 panels and one of them takes up half the page.

The explanation for the cartoon style speech pattern for Grimlock makes sense, and leaves open the possibility that while he may be a bit brutish he doesn't have to be an idiot.

The Joes, Arcee, and Sharkticons!!! "Sharkticon!? That can't be an actual thing."

Flagg's Bumblecycle
    in a blink and you'll miss it panel. I want to see more of this and especially Optimus's reaction to it.

Starscream's eyepatch and Shockwave's eye laser.

Dr. Venom. 'nuff said.

Destro and Megatron. Those are one creepy pair, especially in the "Gun God Meet Your Avatar" panel.

The Bad
    Too many characters. It would be nice to have a few issues somewhere down the line to focus on only a handful of characters to give them a bit more depth. Kind of along the lines of issue #0 which focused almost entirely on Duke, Snake Eyes, and Scarlett with the less important characters in the background.

Did they really just kill off
    Brawn, Mirage, and Perceptor
    ? It will be interesting to see what
    Wheeljack's
    reaction to that pointless slaughter will be.

The Ugly
    Dial-tone's ridiculous headset.

Wheeljack
    's conscious autopsy. That was just cruel, but understandable. I like the way he managed to handle the situation though.

Overall the reaction to the comic among our fandom has been pretty interesting to me. I am the only mainline IDW Transformers reader that frequents my local comic shop. However this series has been selling well enough that issues #1 and #2 both sold out of their initial shipments and had to be reordered/restocked. As much as I've been enjoying the ride, I wish I knew a way to convince some of those fans of this book to give MTMTE a shot...

2. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    This book has made me a fan of Dr. Venom. He's freakin' great.

And that Megatron/Destro scene... wow. Especially that one page. You all know the one.

I don't think Perceptor and friends are dead, otherwise that would probably mean crapload of Joes are, too.

NO MERCY FROM PERCY

3. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It's kind of amazing to think that we've never GOT a Megatron/Destro pairing out of any previous Joe/TF crossovers, since they're such a natural fit. They're the sensible ones who have to deal with a screaming Chris Latta lunatic messing up their plans. The fact that this book is doing that alone is great, but MAN, the fact that it's THIS BOOK means it can go BATSHIT with the idea. One is a gun, the other a gun-maker; one is a metal god, the other an acolyte of techcnology; both are cybernetic beings; each is father, son and brother to the other. Just so wild. "GUN GOD, MEET YOUR AVATAR!"

This treatment of Destro is another great example of the "kids playing with toys" feel of the book too. Just like Soundwave's "tummy prison" is an idea that a child playing with a toy ignoring the fiction would come up with, here we look at Destro -- his head's a metal mask, right? NOPE, DESTRO IS IMMORTAL ROBOT MAN.

BRAWN WRECKS THE JAWN

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's already a sarcastic one by Murasame. :/

5. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any speculation on Megatron's "gift" to Destro? If Megatron truly is intrigued by a merging of two races, the outcome could be satisfyingly freakish.

6. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Might be a weapon, or more troops to bring back to Earth... dunno. This is a book where you can't really predict anything that's going to happen!

7. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    My love of this book continues to grow. It's stunning. And fun. It really is the most fresh take on transformers in years. I think I may actually be enjoying this the most out of IDW's current books. I literally have no idea of what lies on the next page and there is nothing to fanrage about because it's so removed from previous ideas of what both these franchises are.

Great stuff. Hope they keep it up.

8. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This comic is great and more people should read it.

9. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ENERGONIC BOOM and then that last panel...wow. Also, legitimately nice and unique depiction of Metroplex.

10. MegaRoadbuster

MegaRoadbuster Well-Known Member

Scioli said he wanted Flagg and Venom to be standout characters. Flaggs fun, but with this issue I think he's made Venom a fan favorite.

This comic is crazy,wierd, and inventive. In 4 comics he, IMO, has already made the best TF vs GI JOE crossover. The other crossovers felt forced and clearly was just a throw away event. Since the two franchises were so closely linked in style, why not just throw them together.

This on the other hand feels natural. Its taken seriously, and Scioli has shown why it works so well. It really is a natural extention of both franchises.

Anyway, how can you not like this comic...Mobile Metroplex City, King Grimlock, Bumblebee turned into a ride for Flagg, Sharkticon fight, Venom, Starscream with a Cobra mask(which fits perfect since Chris Latta voiced both characters), Shockwave frying those Joes, the use of vehicles and characters we bought as children, the Cybertron map, the Destro and Megatron scene. In other words the entire fucking comic. Also take note in how Scioli does so much in 1 panel or one page. This entire comic would be 6 issues long if given to another writer. There are full pages that would have been 12 pages in another comic. Say what you will about his art, but the man can layout a scene perfectly. He's a student of both Kirby sure, but he has a lot of Steranko in him too. Steranko was big on trying to condense as much story as possible.

Looking back at issue 1, I'd say Scioli was still getting a feel for it, with Issue 3 he has the worlds and characters down pat.

By only worry is that can he keep it up? I think so, but I hope he mind never runs dry of these crazy ideas.

The complaint that he is using to many characters is only half fair. Its true to an extent, but also take note that Scioli is writing a comic inspired by old fashioned comics. Not only that but the original TF and GI JOE Marvel comic. Go back and read Hama's GI JOE comics and you'll probably say there are to many characters as well. Could say the same thing about Budiansky's and Furmans run in TFs. Scioli does exactly what they did, he has all these characters but gives focus to certain characters each issue. So far Scarlett has been his primary character. Lots of characters in issue 3, but you'll still notice that Duke, Venom, Shockwave, and Destro all got character beats this issue.

Plus I think he's gonna be doing more character based issues later on, just like the old comics did. I think issue 5 is supposed to focus on Tunnel Rat having a trip through Fortress Maximus.

EDIT:We also get our first real character death with Buzzer(I wouldn't count out Cobra Commander being dead in this comic forever. This is the style of comic where no doubt he'll make a return one day.), not a huge loss, but it should be noted at the first real "known" character death. If you think Soundwave or Bumblebee are done, and that the page with Brawn and company probably means they are dead too, then your just ratting out on yourself that you don't read many comics.....or books, or watch many movies, etc.

My real reason for the edit was to also give praise to the Buzzer giving the Gun to Venom page. Brilliant. Everything is layed out for the reader perfectly. Wounded Dial Tone and Shipwreck, Buzzer smiling while he gives the gun to Venom, both wounded characters reflected in his glasses, Venom a villian(?) being given a gun to finish the job. All very telling, and then when we turn the page, POW!!!

I like that Scioli is big on making sure the page turn is used as a surprise. Many, many writers/artist don't take that into account anymore.

11. MegaRoadbuster

Also a great page. All done in 3 panels. Comes off as a perfect example of Scioli's thesis for the comic.

12. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Anyone have a screenshot of Metroplex?

13. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finally got to read 3.

That was amazing. Every good thing folks say about this book is true.

As others have said, it really DOES capture the feeling of a kid playing with all these great toys and making up a great unfettered adventure better than any Comic Book I've ever read.

It also at the same time captures the spirit and feel of the 1980s Transformer and G.I.Joe comic series where everything was still new and anything could happen to any of the characters each month as something was being built that we did not yet know the future shape of.

I'll right out and say I loved this book at least as much as MTMTE. For different reasons but yea due to both of the above and more it is an absolutely amazing return to the feel that these then still birthing franchises had in my childhood. A feel which nothing else (certainly not the misconceived ReG1 or whatever boring "serious" take IDW has for Joe at the moment) has come close to capturing so well as this brilliant new old world.

This book ROCKS and I hope it goes on world building, world destroying, and brilliantly reevaluating and recasting everything about these series like this for a long time....

-ZacWilliam, next issue SOON, please!

14. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished reading, fricking hilarious book.

One of the Joe guys does a Jean-Claude van Damme move, accompanied by a huge VAN DAMME sign(sorry, not a Joe fan so I keep forgetting the names of everybody who's not an A-lister :eek:  ..should get that fixed!)...brilliant fun.

15. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

So I was planning to pass on this series, but after hearing good reviews I gave it a shot. Glad I did, I just read the first three issues in the last 24 hours and can't wait for the next issue. How many issues are planned, or is it an ongoing?

16. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Seems it's a miniseries, though it's a longer one at that.

17. MegaRoadbuster

It's an ongoing

18. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
  19. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks like it might not come out until December.

20. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    You mean #4 release in December and then #5 in January? Bumping them back essentially?