Transformers Vs. G.I.Joe #4 Discussion: BA-THROOM!

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Thelonicon, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We finally get another issue of this divisive "love it or loathe it" series.

Personally I am in the love it camp, although I felt like this issue was a bit harder to follow than the previous ones. In particular I had no clue what was going on with Duke and Snake Eyes (other than the fact they were fighting) until I actually read the commentary.

The Good:
    The breakneck pace of the series continues unabated. A lot happens and the ideas still fly at you a mile a minute.
    Rodimus
    finally shows up and has a really cool design and an interesting sounding backstory. We've had gods and kings already, so why not a prince?
    The foreshadowing of
    Primus
    . Although the massive twin mountains are much more reminiscent of his primary antagonist.
    Armada Demolishor makes a cameo. What is it with AEC characters showing up like crazy this month in IDW books?

The Bad:
    The breakneck pace of the series continues unabated. It's great that things are happening, but with the action spread over so many players (with more being introduced every page) it is a bit of a mess to follow and keep track of all the things that the Joes are actually doing on Cybertron. I kind of hope things settle down a little in the next issue.
    The aforementioned Duke and Snake Eyes fight. The only remotely good thing about it is the super weird appearance of
    Optimus Prime
    at the end of the issue.

The Weird:
    It is only one page, but Dr. Venom manages to be super awesome and super creepy at the same time in
    Tales from T.H.E. P.I.T. Complete with evil Transformers necromancy! The burning candles were a nice touch.
    Fortress Maximus pulls a Unicron and chomps down on
    some humans, cyborg animals, and Cobra robots. The ramifications for next issue should be fun.
    Chuckles the "undercover investigator" has the most conspicuous outfit on all of Cybertron. How is he supposed to fit in again?
    Ba-Throom! is the best sound effect for a port-a-potty being shot through the air by an explosion.
    Bazooka's trip was awesome and unexpected.

2. MegaRoadbuster

MegaRoadbuster Well-Known Member

Scioli is at his best when he's throwing crazy shit at you as much as possible. I agree it's a breakneck pace, it'll be either to much for you or not, but you can't say it's paced poorly. You get your moneys worth and it all works perfectly. Even I'll admit that I wish he'd focus a little on one event, the Snake Eyes vs Duke fight could have been more.

but then again I've said that of older comics, and this is a comic inspired by older comics. Scioli gets that down pat. Steranko's influence is clearly obvious down to his name being used as verb.

From GI JOE pets fighting the Horror repurposed October Guard, to Bazook's acid trip, there's really nothing on the stands like this comic.

and cheers to Scioli for finding new ways to play with these toys.

3. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Everything with Bazooka... wow. I can't believe they actually went there with the leaf. :lol 

And Dr. Venom continues to be amazing. Loved everything about "TALES FROM T.H.E. P.I.T." The Decepticonecronomicon should be put into other continuities!

The revamped Oktober Guard is still amazing, Imhotep Rodimus is amazing... god, I love this book.

4. MegaRoadbuster

Comic has a very saturday morning cartoon style to it, which is ironic seeing as the golden age style of comics influence the style of cartoons.

This would make a great animated series.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Demolisher makes a cameo. Cool.

6. astrakhan

astrakhan Well-Known Member

The note from Carlos Guzman was the best. "Don't worry, this is just water!"

Also, US7 is the best new GI Joe idea in ages. I do like that Clyde the warthog changed teams... maybe they'll go up against the Sand Serpents' giant scorpions?

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This book really got blown away, attention-wise, by Roberts and McCarthy this week didn't it?

As much as any issue in this series is, it's set-up, which is maybe why there doesn't seem much to talk about. I'm continuing to love the surrealism of Metroplex, Fort Max, Optimus, and Cybertron/Unicron.

Also I'm tickled by how for like one panel I'm thinking "oh, hey, maybe Hot Rod just hauls hot rods and isn't a special snowflake in this universe" and then shortly I'm like "nope, nope, Imhotep Rodimus it is." Fantastic use of Blaster though.

Wondering when the Decepticon forces will get the memo about sassin' Duke. That's just not ever working out for them.

8. PinewoodCobra

PinewoodCobra Member

Ebay:
    The new October guard is bizarro! Still the ideas are so different and out there it makes for a fascinating read.

9. Skullgrinner

Skullgrinner Well-Known Member

This whole series is one big nostalgic acid trip so having Bazooka chew on some Cyber-skunk was just about the most appropriate thing they could have done.

I don't count the days for these to come out but I've enjoyed all five so far. I don't mind that its crazy jumping around - there's really nothing deep or meaningful about any of it - even Scioli admits this is like the sort of adventure you had as a kid playing with your toys - it doesn't have to be logical or coherent just a lot of fun.

Whilst I do enjoy reading the commentary at the back there are occasions when they get a little self-important and I begin to wonder whether they secretly think this is something more than a bit of silly fun. But overall it's a great title.

10. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    how is rodimus a prince? what's this about gods and kings..?

11. MegaRoadbuster

Unknown how Rodimus is a Prince. Might have been just sarcasm by Blaster.

In anycase, if Rodimus is the Prince, Primus is the God, and Optimus is the King.

12. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't think it was meant to be, and I certainly hope it wasn't; it's a really interesting way of looking at the character.

And speaking of Blaster, having really liked his Marvel version, I'm happy they're characterizing him the way they are here. Hope there'll be more of him.

13. MegaRoadbuster

Going by the art for isse 5, Blaster is there. You guys need to check out Scioli's twitter, he's always got art work of the upcoming issue on there.

Looks like issue 5 is gonna be fucking Awesome. Apparently the Decepticons are going to attack Autobot City(Metroplex). Going by his artwork that he's sampling, it looks like a can't miss event.

Even I feel Scioli should spend time focusing on perhaps a single story every few issues, but man I have to give him major credit for his ability to "Steranko" these stories. His ability to compress so much, without losing anything to pacing is a quality that few comic artist and story tellers have today.

and I like that he sees this as a pure comic book.

14. Thelonicon

News Credits:
    It definitely wasn't sarcasm. The Grimlocrypha explicitly states that Optimus made Rodimus "king" so it would make sense that he was some sort of prince beforehand. Plus the bio card text states that Rodimus is a "once and future king." "Once" was after Prime and before Grimlock, and "future" is some potential foreshadowing.

15. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh, I check it out regularly; love the tidbits he gives like Straxus' backstory (hope there's a flashback about that in the book itself), plus all of his little previews... next issue has the potential to be even more insane than this one with a certain panel.

16. MegaRoadbuster

Talking about the viking panel?

17. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah. Utterly nuts.

18. MegaRoadbuster

Indeed. Any other comic and it would be way to over the top, with this though, with this it's right at home.

I can only imagine what's in the Decepticon chest

and it looks like we take some guesses as to how Hawks Tomahawk was able to slice Ravage.

If Hasbro were smart they'd look to this comic as option for the next animated series.

19. Thelonicon

News Credits:
    It would be amazing if they could pull off an integrated toyline, but it would probably have to be really expensive unless the GI Joe figures were all Human Alliance Basic (DotM toyline) sized or smaller. At that scale though, the Joe's probably wouldn't have weapons and at the size of the current deluxes the figures would all basically just sit on top of the vehicles or something instead of having cockpits.

20. MegaRoadbuster

Scioli is going to be doing issue 6 tomorrow as a 24 hour comic challenge.

Yes, that means creating issue 6 in 24 hours. Has to be a full 24 pages.

Says he'll tweet progress reports every hour.