Transformers Version 2.0

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by peteynorth, May 27, 2003.

1. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    First of all Petey, I've been following this story for almost seven years. I can't believe it's been that long. Regardless this has been one of the most well-crafted stories of - in general as well as in Transformer fan fiction - that I've ever laid eyes on. It's been a wonderful ride and I appreciate you taking time out of your personal life to share with us this great work of art. I look forward to seeing what you may be writing next, but if you choose not to, I completely understand.

As far as this chapter goes, it wraps up everything nicely. I like how you finish off the war and transition everything from the Great War to the Pax Cybertronia. I even like the introduction of a certain cheese eating crew member that we all know and love. Everything makes sense and I can't seem to find many plotholes.

Actually there might be one. You had Ravage securing Galvatron's frame after the shuttle was destroyed. Considering the "inner circle" of Decepticons that apparently died while slaying, especially the Constructicons, I'm theorizing perhaps Megatron isn't completely dead. His and Galvatron's sparks are pretty much the same. So it wouldn't be too farfetched to say that the Hook, Scrapper, and Mixmaster may have been able to transfer Megatron's spark out of his body and into Galvatron's body Then it would be a simple matter to set up a mock battle with actual casualties to cover Megatron's escape and plan another day, breem, or vorn. Add to the missiing list all six Constructicons and three Combaticons. Or four. I'm not convinced Onslaught is completely dead. He could merely residing in a new body; like Archforce's. It seems to set up any side-story nicely.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. Muffinshock

Muffinshock Member

Simply excellent, Petey. What a ride.

3. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, regarding Megatron’s death, I left some clues but I was very vague.

Basically we have:

1) Ravage taking possession of Galvatron’s corpse while Dreadwing makes it seem as though the corpse was destroyed
    2) Archforce being summoned to serve some purpose (while never really pointed out in the story, the Archforce toy is a recolor of G2 Hero Megs, so he’d have a fair degree of external similarity to Megs). Scrapper comments to Onslaught that Brawl (whose body type is fairly similar to the G2 Megs/Archforce frame) is fortunate that they went with Archforce for this role, whatever that role may be, instead of him.
    3) Megs, Onslaught, the Combaticons sans Brawl, and the Constructicons were sealed off below doing something that required materials to be brought to them.

Yeah, now that I’m trying to lay them out, I realize the clues weren’t very good, and as I’m not currently planning on continuing this, I might as well just come out with it. I didn’t do a very good job with explaining Megatron, and left pretty much no clues in regards to Onslaught, so here’s what the Autbots found:

Megatron’s corpse = Galvatron’s inner workings modified and fitted with Archforce’s modified outer frame and equipped with Megatron’s fusion cannon (it may take a while, but I’m sure Megs plans on getting that back at some point in the future) – all beat to hell to show battle damage
    Onslaught’s corpse = Archforce’s inner workings heavily modified and fitted with parts of Onslaught and armor made by Constructicons, with the entire center section of his chest (including spark chamber) blown out and irradiated by Meg’s fusion cannon, as well as lots of other fabricated battle damage.
    Dreadwing and Smokescreen’s corpses = Dreadwing and Smokescreen’s corpses. Sacrificial lambs chosen because they had enough firepower to make it plausible they’d be able to help bring Megatron down.

The signs of battle were staged, the construction materials used in the modifications were removed via escape route (which I made no mention of, but they had to have as the Combaticons and Constructicons were gone). They’d get off world, get to Char and lay low until forced to down a Maximal probe hovering in orbit months later, and then find a new home, slowly recovering and waiting for an opportunity to strike.

Prime had his doubts about the battle scene, and would have had Nightbeat conduct a thorough investigation of the scene, but after the ratification of the Pax and the turning over of his power, he had no authority to do such a thing.

I hope that explains the deal with Megatron and most of the other unaccounted for Decepticons.

4. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Ancient and knackered

Heh, thought that Meg's 'death' was a colossal ruse, looks like I guessed right. :) 

That aside, what a beautiful, emotional, powerful rollercoaster of a finale; sixty-two chapters of the most amazing re-imagining of the G1/G2/pre-BW years it's ever been my pleasure to read. You may not think so yourself, Petey, but this epic truly deserves to be novelised and published, or at the very least, submitted to the big H themselves for perusal, it's that good.

I could sit here and bestow superlatives all day long, but suffice to say I look forward to future pieces from your good self, and I offer thanks on behalf of everyone for all of your hard work.

And, most importantly, bravo! *applauds* :rock 

(Damn, where's that Orson Welles GIF when you need it?)

5. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    brilliant ending and sets up the beast wars nicely, shame that we know that the autobots don't get the chance to come back (as far as i know anyway). I'll post more in depth thoughts when i get to read it again once my uni work is done.

regarding megatron's faked death, i knew it didn't make sense seeing how they were all down there, i was presuming he'd just sent out those he considered canon fodder whilst his loyal minions waited below and would surrender keeping worthy decepticons alive. I was surprised soundwave ended up taking a fall, poor guy.

Btw, why did you choose Snare as the name for Rattrap? just thought it was an odd choice as it has no link to rattrap or rattletrap as animated called him.

6. Terradives

Terradives Well-Known Member

THANKS FOR THE HANDS DOWN BEST GENERATION 1 STORY PETEY(official or non-official)! This whole story was done very well. I loved it.

7. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Fantastic ending - it was totally worth the wait.

I've followed your masterpiece for years, and have enjoyed every update to it.

Thanks, Petey

8. diablo

diablo Well-Known Member

Petey: Just out of curiosity - do you have a vision of what happens to the Autobots (especially Prime) that leave Cybertron? Do they quietly re-integrate themselves into Cybertronian society, standing vigil over the young Maximals. Or do they find a nice corner of the galaxy to retire to and take up golf or other leisurely pursuits?

9. StiK

StiK Member

Petey - this is by far the best g1 story i have ever read. thank you for every laugh i have enjoyed reading this story.

10. Overlord II

Overlord II Starscreamicon Leader TFW2005 Supporter

Mr. Peteynorth,

THIS has to be made canon.

I believe this is the best and most logical telling of the G1 I have ever seen.

You sort of dismissed a couple of pages ago this as a retelling of the G1 saga, however you have given so much depth to every character you have brought into this--save the redshirts--I was saddened to see it end but it must not have been easy It takes me (heck I probably read slow) hours to read each chapter. So who knows how long it took you to put together each chapter with such vivid detail.

I once again applaud and thank you for years of your time to put together such a great story based on my favorite hobby.

thanks again

Overlord :) 

11. peteynorth

Thanks again everyone. Some clarification:

In regards to Soundwave taking the fall – I know it was just a reuse of a CG model to save time and money, but there was a scene in Beast Machines involving a memory sequence with a robot very similar to Soundwave on Cybertron. Granted, it wasn’t intended to be Soundwave, and the character he was with (annoying bat-kid) was a good guy, but what the heck, I figured why not have Soundwave on Cybertron just in case, so I had Ravage work out a deal for both he and Soundwave in exchange for Megatron’s location and the schematics for the facility they were in. So Soundwave remains on Cybertron, but he won’t be incarcerated with the other Decepticons – the details of his deal, I don’t know, I can’t imagine them letting him walk around scot-free but Prime would probably offer some sweet concessions just to have Megatron once and for all.

Why Snare? I actually thought long and hard about what to call both Rat-Trap and Tarantulas (the determining of Tarantulas’s name went back several years when I had to come up with a name for his Sweep form that would be the first stepping stone to Tarantulas – the selection of Torrent fell into a theme by which I selected the other two Sweeps’ names). It’s a pre-Beast Wars era in both cases, so it really couldn’t reference the ‘rat’ or ‘tarantula’ aspects of their Beast Wars names, but at the same time, I wanted to assume that there would be some sort of link between their real names and their post-beast mode names. I couldn’t accept a scenario like “My name since birth has been Roy, but now that I can transform into a dog, you can call me Fidotron!” So with Tarantulas I went with a name that sounded close enough to bridge the gap (Torrential – Tarantulas), and with Rat-Trap I went with a connection in terms of meaning (snare=trap). With Big Convoy it was a bit easier. Given the prevalence of the Optimus Prime appearance for the various BW leaders, I just went with the concept that ‘Optimus’ (‘Convoy’ in Japan) had become a title and the appearance had become a badge of sorts. So Optimus Grand seemed an appropriate Americanized version of the Japanese Big Convoy (that sentence sounds weird as both big and convoy are English words, but, whatever). I mentioned the name Optimus Atrox with the intent that he be Lio Convoy because I just thought Atrox sounded too cool not to use and it fit with his eventual beast mode (Panthera leo atrox is the extinct North American cave lion, a cat that would have swatted the saber tooth tiger around like a kitten). Of course, I just looked up the Latin meaning of atrox now, and it seems it means terrible, cruel, horrible, harsh and is the root of the words atrocious and atrocity, so perhaps not the best choice of designations for an Optimus, but water under the bridge now.

As for what the Autobots have planned for their post-Cybertron lives, I kind of left that open but I don’t see them returning to Cybertron prior to the Beast Machines era. Mainly because of how the Maximals and Preds in BW/BM acted. For the Preds and Max’s, centuries ago was considered ancient history, for the Bots and Cons, centuries would be like days. There was definitely a feel in BW/BM that the Great War was a distant event that the details were vague on, much the way we in the modern era would view the Hundred Years War, the American Revolution, the Napoleonic Wars, etc. If there were a large number of Bots and Cons walking around on Cybertron, the view of the Great War would be more akin to how we would view Vietnam. If I’m curious about the Huguenot Wars, I need to crack a book; if I’m curious about Vietnam, I can call my dad, my wife’s dad, or several other veterans that I know.

So whatever the Autobots will be doing, it won’t be on Cybertron. And it won’t be with Earth as their home as they’d be afraid of enemies coming after them there, though that’s not stopping them from visiting and maintaining contact with Earth. The first home they’ve selected is New Harbornia simply due to the convenience of having an established series of cities, and with their energon supply supplemented by energon resources taken from Quintessa, they’d be able to remain there as long as they want.

Now, I have tried to set it up so that at the end of Beast Machines Optimus Primal has inadvertently set Cybertron up for a Quintesson attack. Maybe at that point the Quints will have regrouped enough to take advantage of the reformatted Cybertron, maybe not. But if they do attack, and successfully conquer the planet, and remove the government and rule of constitutional law, well, that opens up the return of any outlaw groups exiled by a now-abolished Pax Cybertronia. And maybe in the chaos some opportunistic fugitive Decepticons see a chance to retrieve their captive comrades’ sparks (or if those sparks were already freed and given bodies by the planet-wide reformatting), and take advantage of their surprise and any offensive capabilities they’ve developed over the centuries that they’ve been laying low. And what the hell, now with a certain formerly outlaw faction back on Cybertron, the humans may want to get involved too. And I’m sure that the Liege Maximo will have an opinion on the matter of Quintessons occupying Cybertron again. Who knows what the future holds?

12. Anodythe

Anodythe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks Petey. It has been a great ride...up one moment down the next and back up. I find myself grieving for both the Autobots and Arcee, but especially Arcee. She has given up way too much with little yet to show for it. This is a story so well done and full of the little nuences that were lacking in a childrens cartoon. Thanks for taking the time out of your life to give life and voice to characters we all know and love.
    Hope you do more...some day

13. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    :thumb :thumb :thumb :

like your interpretation of the G1 lore.

14. Ayleron

Ayleron Autobot Vanguard

This story is the reason that i read any fanfiction. Truly a masterful telling of a beloved universe. Thanks for a thrilling ride. You are a talented writer and a great creative mind.

15. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    great great work.

i haven't read the your entire fan-fiction, and so far i'm halfway through episode 2 and i intend to read through everything because it looks like an enjoyable read. if there is just anything that bugged me though so far in my reading was the part where the Cybertronians have to speak through their wrist to communicate with their comrades lol and in that sense, i can understand that you just remained faithful to G1 standards on this regard (with Megatron either producing some kind of "cell phone" device lol or having this speaker/communicator on his upper torso for him to communicate with the other Decepticons, and in the same way that their ships seem to be ergonomically made, with steering wheels, seats, etc.... lol.... when say a platform/craft/vehicle or some kind of a heavily armored craft would suffice and since the Transformers are already in and of themselves made up of computers and electronics, they could just have some kind of cables/mechanisms to connect to - in the same fashion as connecting to USB ports - that the controllers/pilots/crew members could attach/connect themselves with on the ship to control and command the ship and its weapons - re: ROTF Soundwave when he tried to hack into a US satellite and all these cable connectors came out of him... so in essence, their neural systems are actually controlling their non-Transformer computers, crafts, and vehicles... or it could also be through a wireless system, where it would look like they are controlling their devices, vehicles, and crafts telepathically...). if bay's live-action movies accomplished something right, one of these is that the film-makers already treated them as walking, talking, flying, living robots/computers/communications devices and that all that is happening actually takes place inside them so that they don't show them actually speaking through something on their bodies to communicate with their comrades.

anyway, just a constructive criticism. other than, great work and will be reading on :D 

16. Muffinshock

Muffinshock Member

Petey, are Hook, Line, and Sinker supposed to be the Tripredacus Council we see in Beast Wars?

That's a neat way of explaining why they didn't look anything like the Tripredacus toys.

17. peteynorth

Yup. Plus, in BW Tarantulas mentions that destroying the Ark wouldn't hurt he or the Tripred Council. Granted, the Deluxe Insecticons were never on the Ark and probably would have come into being whether Prime and Megs resurfaced, but I always took Tarantulas's claim as indicating some sort of non-Cybertronian kinship between he and the Council, especially after BW Megatron's insult that he was the spawn of Unicron.

18. Muffinshock

Muffinshock Member

As a side-note, a name I've seen bandied about for an "American" version of Lio Convoy is "Optimus Pride", which fits pretty well, but like you said, petey, water under the bridge now. :) 

19. rerunwatson99

rerunwatson99 Well-Known Member

Petey,
    You know my love of your stories man....and you put this one at the top of everything: and I don't like to read! hahah
    As someone said before, this story was the reason i started checking out other fan-fictions.
    You have seriously amazed and enlightened me with this "GENIUS" that you have written!
    I mean, let me rant on:
    - I TOTALLY, TOTALLY, didn't realize that Torrential....was gonna be be Tarantulus! that was good.
    - The whole Megatron/ Galvatron switch-a-roo....I got that! Pretty cool. Which makes me think about Megatron and maybe goin thru a reconfiguration of sorts; i mean some traits that flowed down to the BW Megatron! and a bit of the madness that he had was derived a bit from the mind of Galvatron (Yessssssss)
    - LIEGE MAXIMO. i didn't know that was A-7. but definitely makes sense now. the creator of the Decepticon line, that never died and fake his own demise! KILLER! Also, I didnt know the Maximo had the power of time and space! when he sent Starscream waay back in time, only to be consumed by Unicron (aand my god is Unicron old). love how you had him run into original transformers that were sold to organics.
    (that would also be a great side story; to hear about when transformers were first serving their purpose to serve organics....where are these other transformers and WHO ELSE REBELLED AGAINST THEIR MASTERS.....)
    - Alpha Trion...my man. whatever lies in the future, he'll definitely be there.
    -Sideswipe. you know he's my favorite. i'm glad he has come to terms with his brother not around....cuz i really didn't want to read him goin down against Megatron!

This masterpiece is by far the best read ever for me! I hope that you get credit where it is dude man. I believe this has to be a novel for everyone to read and know the passion that one has for the Transformers Lore!

and lastly, I thank you for your time, effort, attention to detail, and dedication to this story. EVERY WORD IS WORTH THE ATTENTION THIS STORY DESERVES!

keep us informed on anything u do in the future man! especially if you go to any conventions.

20. adamme

adamme Well-Known Member

thanks Petey, just going to read this tomorrow. i have really enjoyed your stories