Transformers Tuesdays

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by SinisterSpinister, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Deltron Magnus

Deltron Magnus TFW's Prettiest Princess

STRAXUS! Definitely looking forward to this one. He looks awesome!

Steeljaw is cute, and I'm always down for more cassette bots. Plus the speaker is cool.

The rest from this batch of pre-orders are easy passes. Kinda like Bumblebee, but I prefer my Netflix Bee. Springer looks good, but I'm happy with Siege and WNR.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DubV

DubV Pondering the imponderable

News Credits:
    upload_2024-5-15_1-37-36.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  3. xyz123

xyz123 Well-Known Member

Yup

4. Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore Likes Transformers toys that don't transform

News Credits:
    I would flip out for Nightstalker. Get Garboil and Howlback in there too, now I’m slightly less resentful about buying this Soundwave for a fourth time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A little late, but I have my fair share of thoughts on these reveals. Steeljaw, which was leaked earlier, looks good in both modes, but I'm disheartened by the detachable back section. I generally hate partsforming, and the fact that Hasbro couldn't design the lion base as a single transforming unit grinds my gears. It's just more kibble left over in cassette mode. :mad 

I'm not a fan of comic characters like Straxus, but I see his design as a huge win for Marvel fans. It's a truly superb retool of Galvatron (like 80% parts replaced) that genuinely reflects how he appeared in both modes in the comic. Props for retaining the black streaks on the paint job. I'm sure he'll look great next to Jhiaxus. :) 

Bumblebee is kinda..... okay, I guess. I see they went the Penny Racer route like MP-45, but pulled it off with less flair. The robot mode gets points for accuracy and no partsforming like Netflix Bee, but the car mode looks a bit too boxy and charmless. Why is the driver section so angular? :sly:  It reminds me of the recent Core class Bee. I'm also not a fan of the black windows for such a light-hearted character. It's a decent effort and a good template for a Cliffjumper retool, but I think I'll stick with my Netflix Bee, especially since I already bought the backpack connector to remove partsforming.

Springer is the one I have the most to say about. I just sold my Siege Springer in anticipation of this retool. Being one of my favourite characters, I was salivating this reveal as the definitive Springer toy, but.... I'm feeling very mixed on the results. The positives: The colour tones are a better match for the animation model. The arms and shoulders have been reworked to reflect the cartoon with an added wrist blaster, and the overall design looks better for it. The extra vents on the back piece are a welcome addition; they really fill out the alt modes. I'm so happy that Hasbro used a new pegless chest piece, hopefully making the transformation less frustrating. I didn't think they would also design a new head, but it really oozes a lot more of Springer's charisma than the old one. Finally, I'm glad that they replaced that atrocious three-piece rotor with a single foldable rotor-sword like the Generations toy. All good things to be sure.

Now the bad points: This was billed as a 'heavy retool', but it's really not that heavy. There's a lot that could have been fixed, namely with the copter mode. The tail section of the copter is unacceptable. Didn't Springer have horizontal stabilizers? Where the hell are they? :inquisiti  And it's not as if the wheels can pass for a tail rotor. They're just car wheels.... on a helicopter. Hasbro seriously needed to do a better job of hiding them to sell this as an aircraft. There are some colour oddities too. Why the mismatching green rims at the front? It was never like that on the character model below. The lighter hands don't blend into the alt mode any more, and the catapult missile remains completely unpainted. But honestly, my biggest complaint about this figure is the price. Hasbro is effectively reselling you a Voyager figure at a Leader price point, mostly adding a few extra accessories (which will just be shoved in a drawer) to justify the cost. I thought that Sandstorm's cost was egregious for his size, but this is really taking the mickey. Maybe if Hasbro put more work into retooling the copter tail, I'd be less salty about it. Now I can only hope that Go Better Studios comes out with a kit to improve that.

For now, I will concede that SS86 Springer is a modest improvement on the Siege toy.... but not at double the cost. Do you think I should wait for a discount, or will this be a quick sell-out like Ultra Magnus? :peoples: 

springer.jpg

This has been a good stream overall. I'm really looking forward to the reveal of Legacy Quake. Legacy Needlenose ranks as one of my top figures of 2023 for effectively giving us three characters at a Deluxe price point without compromising the main figure. If Quake follows the same standard with an accurate tank mode, I'm all over it. And with more great figures like Soundwave and Optimus Prime due this year, the future looks bright for Transformers. :D 

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude they gave us a proper switchblade sword, wrist gun and his artillery shell, as well as more complex shoulders and a pair of pinned wheels along with a complete remold of the upper torso and thighs. It's a definite buy for me.

• Like Like x 4
  7. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I think within the next two years they\'re going to phase out Leader Class entirely, the way that things are going. 

People make jokes about stuff like Sandstorm being an voyager with a bunch of accessories, but now literally we\'re getting two new Leader class figures (Soundwave and Springer) as existing voyagers with a bunch of accessories. 

• Like Like x 3
  8. Pixelmaster

Pixelmaster >implying toys are good

News Credits:
    IMG_9672.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  9. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Nah, not with Rumble and Frenzy having just got Core-class SS86 releases. Now, I'm not saying this is what I want (because what I want would include Slugfest and Overkill), but if I were a betting man I'd put money on Ravage, Laserbeak, and Buzzsaw. Ravage and Laserbeak will be basically the same Micromasters as the Netflix release, Buzzsaw will be a repaint of Laserbeak, and we'll all buy it even though we have Siege Soundwave, the original Micromaster releases of Ravage and Laserbeak, and Netflix Soundwave with his Ravage and Laserbeak, just to get Buzzsaw. Then in 2026 Hasbro will release SS86 Core-class versions of Laserbeak and Buzzsaw, and we'll buy them again, because apparently collecting Transformers is about buying iincremental upgrades every few years now.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Doctor Prime

Doctor Prime Dark Rider Prime

News Credits:
    ok if steeljaw can look this good can ravage get this treatment now please hasbro?

• Like Like x 4
  11. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt it. Hasbro already re-released Galvatron in Legacy with a slight redeco. There's no point in doing it again for SS86. Besides, I think there's plenty of room to design a more accurate mold, especially for the cannon mode. Just look at what Sovereign did.

12. G1Optimal

G1Optimal Autobot

News Credits:
    im passing on 86 bumblebee at this moment and stick with nitflicks bumblebee

13. R3M1NGT0N

R3M1NGT0N Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well that and Galvatron was already at a Leader price point. What I’m expecting is similar to Springer: tweak the colors to get a more blue-purple color scheme, make the barrel solid orange, and some retooling above the waist. They’ll probably ditch the spare gun/ship pieces as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I wake up to the news that these figures are available now and Steeljaw is already sold out? Wtf.

But at least I found a local store that still has pre-orders up, even though it was more expensive.

I completely forgot these figures are not 5 bucks anymore. That's crazy. They cost nearly twice the price of a deluxe in 2010.

15. gregles

gregles quintesson

Springer is definitely an improvement though its a bit too expensive and I have very little investment in those accessories.

My hopes for the Springer toy is that they will find a way to make those joints around his ankle feel a little more sturdy as perhaps mine is a little loose and old but he seems to be often balanced precariously on top of his feet rather than being supported by them. I also hope they improve how the alt-modes clip in to place as the original toy felt a bit too loose and flimsy.

Bumblebee wasn't quite the slam-dunk I was hoping for and I understand why as fitting that much engineering in to such a small toy with that budget probably wasn't realistic though he doesn't appear to parts-form and can have his autobot insignia on his chest which helps break up the yellow so he is an improvement on the last one just about

16. MehWave

MehWave Well-Known Member

As my wallet screams in horror, this is the soul-affirming post I needed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. No Name

No Name Well-Known Member

Kinda funny, Netflix Bumblebee\'s alt mode was too long and Beetle like. Now the new one is stubby, but in a weird way.

18. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

"too Beetle like"?

• Like Like x 6
  19. averagetfcollector07

averagetfcollector07 Well-Known Member

I mean no disrespect if you like him, but more complex doesn't always mean better. Having the option for a more cartoon accurate shoulder orientation is nice in theory, but they were very small on the cartoon model that to accomplish it on a transforming figure you would have to either faux-form or just have them be big, which in 86 Springer's case, looks a bit wonky with how huge they are. Also it's odd that the wheels have green rims when they're meant to be grey. Springer for me is a mixed bag of a figure; his good and bad aspects are somewhat even.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Nemesisprime1975

Nemesisprime1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had forgotten to preorder bb but I don't think I will now.

Good bot mode so so altmode.

• Like Like x 1