Transformers Toy Photography Tutorials

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobot Dave, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

I've noticed some people don't want to post photos in a few threads because they think their work doesn't measure up; and that's no good. So, I figured those of us who take pics and post them fairly regularly could share how we do it, what we use, etc. After all, it shouldn't be intimidating for anyone to post shots of our favorite robots in disguise :D 

The point of this thread is to help people understand how to take photos, so if you have questions, fire away!

With that, here's how I took, and edited, my latest pic. My camera is an old EOS 20D, and I'm using the lens that came with it (18-55 mm). I use Photoshop CS5 for editing, but I hear Gimp, which is free, is great, too. I also hear Photoshop CS2 is now old enough where you can get it for free.

[​IMG]
    tutorial01 by Autobot Dave, on Flickr
    Notice my ultra-complicated set-up :D  The lights are pretty cheap. You can usually find them at Targets for around $15 or $20. And the ultra-complicated eraser / cell phone stand for Sideswipe is just a good old-fashioned, "Crap, I've gotta get this dude taller for the pic" improvisation.

[​IMG]
    tutorial02 by Autobot Dave, on Flickr
    That's the shot, after shooting it with an aperture of 7.1 and a slow-ish shutter speed. No flash was used.

[​IMG]
    tutorial03 by Autobot Dave, on Flickr
    Adding the bars. Oh yeah...The dimensions I build at are 9.56" x 6" at 300 dpi. The bars are 9.56" x 1".

[​IMG]
    tutorial04 by Autobot Dave, on Flickr
    The lights I use are Reveal bulbs, which cast a red hue. I get rid of that by creating a Color Balance adjustment layer, and setting it to -3 on the cyan / red bar for shadows, midtones and highlights. I also add a Levels adjustment layer to give it some contrast.

[​IMG]
    tutorial05 by Autobot Dave, on Flickr
    I draw a small, white shape in the middle of the eye, then create an Outer Glow using the color 005eaa

[​IMG]
    Cool Stuff 020 2013 - Transformers Masterpiece MP-10 Optimus Prime bot 004 by Autobot Dave, on Flickr
    Here's the final image. To give it the blue hue, I created a new layer and filled it with the color 73bed1. I then set that layer's opacity to 80% and set its layer style to Overlay.

So...There you have it. If any of you photogs want to show some of your secrets, please post away. And If you guys have any questions, shoot!

Heh heh...Photography pun.

2. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

This is a great idea. You pretty much lost me at "lights" and "Photoshop" in terms of anything I'd want to pursue, but its still a great idea. Thanks for sharing your process! You know we appreciate the end product.

3. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine are pretty close to straight out of the cam, i have a yard of silk velvet for the background, with a sheet of glass placed over it. for my camera, a Nikon D3100 with the standard 18-55mm lens, and a homemade lightbox (replacing that soon) with some desk lamps. I have Gimp, no photoshop experience

example pic:

[​IMG]

the only thing done in post is erasing the edge of the glass in the background when needed

one thing i learned was framing, making the bottom have too much space compared to the top looks bad. same with the area behind the figure instead of in front (unless it's like autobot dave's megatron and prime pic, one behind the other)

[​IMG]

also in posing having flowing "action lines" makes the pose look more natural and balanced

big thanks to Hyperoptic for the help he gave me

[​IMG]

4. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

:lol  Thanks, Yeled! It works out because I really enjoy shooting these things. I'd kinda like to figure out how to do it professionally, just because it's so much fun.

I was hoping you'd post, brr-icy! I figured that was glass under the figures, but I didn't know velvet was under the glass. Thanks for letting us know.

5. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

fwiw...

If you already got a camera (a point-n-shoot or an slr), just get a tripod.

Even cheap $10-$20 tripods will help steady your aim at toy shots.

Then it's all downhill from there coz you'll be thinking of getting flash, remotes, and macro lens. As well as post-processing raws... :D 

6. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

:lol  Great point, man! And, if any of you are using a point-n-shoot, just make sure your shots are lit well. I've seen those cameras produce killer results.

7. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure what you mean by "action lines"

I've learned a lot here when it comes to taking pictures.. the main thing, is adjust your white balance on your camera esp if your pictures are coming out too yellow..

8. xMostWanted559x

xMostWanted559x Well-Known Member

I just need a light box... My wife has a nice dslr camera and a nice tripod. But do I need to use the standing lights that come with ebay light boxes? Or do I adjust camera settings? The photos in my collection was taken by her and mine never looks good when I use the camera

9. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

In my experience, most photo problems have to do with lighting. Without seeing a sample photo, though, I can't tell you for sure. Post one of your photos in the thread and I'll see if I can figure it out :) 

As for the lights, well...lights are lights. I'd think any kind would work with a lightbox.

10. Autobot Dave

Autobot Dave Photobot

I'm not sure, but I think "action lines" are diagonal lines. They draw your eyes to certain parts of a pic moreso than vertical and horizontal ones.

Great point about the white balance, too.

11. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    action lines are the lines that your arms and legs draw (think of those animation sketches we've all seen somewhere with just the shapes of a person and the stick figure, the stick figure is the action lines as i understand it)

mostwanted, when you set up whatever lights you are using for the pictures, there should be a manual set for the white balance in the camera where you take a picture of a white piece of paper in the place you will be taking the pictures and it will set it. just a few lamps and either a sheet or something to diffuse the lights and a background, and you're set. practice away lol

tripod is a must. holding the camera still only does so much,