Transformers-themed die-cast finds compatible with Lionel Trains.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Cybertronian, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

Howdy, y'all.
    As of right now, I can only guess that I'm in the right forum. I started this thread to discuss the TF-related items I bought for my Lionel O-Scale (1:48) train layout.
    I got my first train set during the same Christmas (1984) I got Ironhide, my first TF. At first I was disappointed that it was much larger than sets my friends had (HO Scale, or 1/87), but on the other hand, it didn't take me too long to realize that Ironhide (and later the Stunticon cars) was just the right size to interact with it. In '87, I used my Warren Transformers base (cardboard construction at its finest) and Metroplex as centerpieces for my 6' x 4' loop. By the time I got out of H.S. and had time to re-set up my track, I decided to buy a couple of Road Champs 1/43 scale cars to go with the trains. When my ex-girlfriend's brother mistook my Tennessee State Police Crown Vic for another Transformer (there were one or two on the "road" with it), I got a brainstorm.

I decided to buy cars that resembled Autobot vehicle modes as much as possible. It was also a good excuse to get vehicles from my years of growing up (the late '70s, '80s and then-current '90s). Problem was, most die-casters working in 1/43 or 1/48 (American "O" scale) mostly focused on cars and trucks from the 40s, 50s, and 60s. With the exception of the 1969 Charger (b.k.a. the General Lee), I was left wanting for a good while.
    In the past 4 years, I've been lucky enough to spot a few 80s era cars that not only are the same vehicle as notable Autobots, but the same color! I am now happy to say that I own real-world versions of Jazz, Wheeljack, Smokescreen, and Mirage's car modes. (Martini #4 Porsche 935, Alitalia #539 Lancia Statos Turbo, Electromotive #83 Datsun 280-ZX -- I emphasize Datsun because unlike Prowl and Bluestreak, Smokescreen's model was based on a race-modified American version -- and Gitanes #26 Ligier JS-11.) It took me awhile to find a 1978 Corvette Stingray hardtop, but it's silver instead of the blue (or red) I would have wanted one in. I also finally got a Fairlady Z Turbo (280-ZX, RH Japanese version) that's not only a T-top, but in Bluestreak's Diaclone-only blue and silver colors. (The only all-silver one this company made is not a T-top.) With any luck, the slow boat from Australia (where I eBayed it from) is much faster than the slow boat from Hong Kong (location of a dealer with Fairladys I'd been eBay watching for 2 yrs.). Some people have 1/43 Lamborghini Countachs, but you'll spend a lot less on a mint and complete Dinobot than you will on any of these. (And don't get me started on the price of Cadillac Sevilles...) After some heavy thought, I finally decided to buy a 1/35 scale Cherry Vanette. This van (Ironhide's model) is extremely had to get ahold to in any form. While it may not be to scale with the trains (Ironhide himself is better for this), at 1/35, this van should be juust right for "palling around" with Hot Rod and Kup.

On eBay, I've also found 1/43 Porsche 924s (and 944s), Mazda Familias (in yellow, red, and blue -- I can't decide which color to get), Elf/Tyrell 6-wheeled F1 cars (Drag Strip's exact race car mode), and Land Rover Defenders, but haven't been able to decide what to buy. I don't plan to model Windcharger until someone either makes a 1983 Pontiac Trans Am with rear windshield louvers, or until someone finally models K.I.T.T. in 1/43 scale.
    Thank you for listening to me all this time, and send replies if any of y'all have gotten lucky, or if anyone has the skill (and quality paint) to change a bland silver Corvette into a sexy, metrosexual, and vainglorious blue Corvette with red and yellow flames. (or for that matter, a silver vanette into a red van bearing a different factory stripe decal.
    -- Cybertronian.
    P.S.: For the curious, 1/64 (Hot Wheels' domain) is called "S" Scale.
    P.P.S.: If you know someone who makes -- or owns -- a (Japanese) "D-62" 2-8-4 steam locomotive in O- or 027 Scale, E-mail me, and let's see how easy or tough it would be to for me to get one (and possibly have it modified with model space shuttle engines and purple paint). I won't rest until it's pullin' my Southern, Rock Island, and FedEx rolling stock, or my 2 gondolas full of Energon cubes!

2. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    (Minor bump, with some of what I was referring to. All of the vehicles photographed are 1/43, resin-cast.)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    I would fanboy like crazy if someone incorporated Transformers figures into a train layout, either as fight scenes or in alt modes!

Bonus points if you have the official Transformers train set!

• Like Like x 1