Transformers: The Rebirth - What if it had continued - where would it go?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by batfan007, Dec 16, 2016.

1. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So if Transformers: The Rebirth had continued for say a full 30-50 episodes, and let's assume all the toys were still selling like hot cakes, where you think it might have gone story-wise?

And do you think they would have included Pretenders and MicroMasters in if not this season, then the following one?
    I enjoy the rebirth episodes, but there is no denying how odd their tone is, and how at odds it is with the episodes that came before it.

Do you think it would have gotten even stranger with whatever explanation they might have come up with for the Pretenders and other gimmick-toys?

Had the show continued, I wonder if it would have spared us from the evils of Season 5?
    Disciples of Boltax: Zob's Thoughts on Transformers G1 Season Five

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    In the third season we got humans in space, the EDC, an intergalactic community and alien races.
    The rebirth partnered the Transformers with one of those races. I could see a real season four expand on that with more adventures on alien planets, the battle on planet beast for example could have happend in a season four.
    I imagine everyone thinking the Decepticons dead and the masters playing space police with Fort Max guarding Nebulos.
    The Decepticons and Nebulons would be trying to find a balance of power with Galvatron and Zarak striving for dominance constantly undermining each others victories against the Autobots, the Quintessons would side
    With one then the other and profit from the confusion by launching strikes against the Autibots.
    Eventually Galvatron would regain his sanity and firmly regain command of the Decepticons and Nebulans, i imagine Mindwipes hypnotic powers would play a major part in this.

A fifth season would introduce Powermasters and Pretenders.
    With the introduction of comparitively many earth altmodes i imagine much of the action would take place on earth.
    I think this would be a return to more straight forward Autobot versus Decepticon storylines, but a central plot by the much weakened Quintessons would build to a climax that would end with the Quintessons soundly defeated and a fragile peace between Autobots and Decepticons.

If there is a season six it would envolve the micromasters and latter day pretenders.
    I think this season might be kind of likeRID, with insurgent Decepticons causing mischief and fighting a guerilla war.
    There would probably be competition between the large pretenders and the micromasters.
    The Autobots would be guys fresh out of training whose job it is to apprehendthe troublemakers.

Offcourse everything that happened because there was no season four would be changed if there was:
    Headmasters, Masterforce, Victory would not have happened or maybe on the contrary: those shows might have been made for both markets wich would probably have made them different from what the where.
    The toylines would probably be different too.
    Ultimately we have little to go on for speculation, and the farther we go forward from 1987 the less of what didvhappen might be true in the new situation.
    Had the show continued micromasters might never even existed.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Seems like it was more or less set up by the end of the Rebirth miniseries - Headmaster bunch fighting the Hive on Nebulos and/or planet-hopping after Galavatron and Zarak.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I think from the brief glimpse we got Sixshot might have gotten more of a cowboy persona. Not so much G1 Quickstrike but less honorable and more opportunistic and triggerhappy.
    He would probably have been competing with Cyclonus for Galvatrons favor and been courted by Zarak.
    There might have been a few episodes centered around Punch infiltrating the Decepticons, ending with him being found out and Galvatron having Mindwipe hypnotize him to trick the Autobots.
    On the Autobots side i think the action would have varied between Hot Rod
    and his Targetmasters and Brainstorm and the Headmasters, with Optimus partaking at times but mostly being a counselling father figure.
    The Monsterbots might take over the function of the Dinobots but more gung ho and mercinary.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Micromasters were Hasbro's attempt to copy the success Galoob was having with Micro Machines. They would have happened regardless of whether the cartoon had continued.

Aside from that I agree with everything else. Likely the Japanese cartoons would have never been made, and who knows if we would even have characters like Star Saber, Deathsaurus, Minerva, Dai Atlas, etc. in the canon at all.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be as good as Masterforce or Victory. But it would be a hell of a lot better than Headmasters.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

What makes you think and say that? The Japanese Headmaster show aired before the Rebirth and it was popular there.

I'm sure that would have been sequels regardless of what happened in the US

Japanese Headmasters series was not made because there was no season 4 it was because they didn't like Hasbro's version of the origin of Headmasters

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:

It might have aired first but it was most probably created because Hasbro decided to end the Cartoon with the rebirth.
    I have a hard time believing Takara would take the trouble to go it alone just because they didnt like the story their businesspartner was going with.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I never knew that the Japanese Headmasters series began airing before The Rebirth aired. I guess you learn something new every day.

• Like Like x 1
  10. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I realize it's hip to rip on Headmasters, but compared to The Rebirth, it should be held up on the same pedestal as RID at the very least.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Altered Prime

Is that were the case why not just continue after the rebirth?

No sorry I have a harder time believing that they would create an entire new origin for the series themselves if they were okay with Hasbro's story

The only reason to ignore the rebirth and create a new story it's because they did not like the story they were given

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jus09

Jus09 Well-Known Member

Oh, I genuinely hate Headmasters. Not because of the dub, but because it ruined Season 3 of G1. Killing Galvatron in an anticlimactic fashion, turning Daniel into an emotional infant, turning Spike into a deadbeat dad with delusions of being a 'manly' man, making the cast of Season 3 look like incompetent morons, destroying Cybertron only to bring it back by the end of the series, giving Wheelie more screentime, and that's not even getting into the crap that show pulled with Fortress Maximus and Scorponok. How do you make every confrontation between the two as exciting as watching grass grow? At least The Rebirth treated Fortress Maximus vs Scorponok like a big deal. Thankfully, Masterforce and Victory managed to downplay the suck.

• Like Like x 6
  13. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    It's seem's more the case with the G1 shows canned and gone, the Japanese shows did their own thing.
    If their had been an ongoing show for say 3-5 years in the US at same time before/when Headmasters/Victory/Masterforce was around, then likely that show would have been exported and translated, as it would be cheaper to translate an existing show to tie in with the toy lines, than create entirely new ones from scratch.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Quote the Hardhead: "What he said."

• Like Like x 1
  15. Altered Prime

just how does that seem more the case ?

as I said before the Japanese started their own show before the US G1 show was canned

The Japanese Headmasters show was produced and aired before the rebirth

• Like Like x 1
  16. Altered Prime

If what you say is true and they would have exported the rebirth and continued from that point on.

But that is not the case.
    They created their own story and origin for the headmssters.... that suggests they did not want to use Hasbro story
    Takara was also not pleased with the fact that they brought back Optimus Prime

Seems to me like they decided to create their own story regardless of Hasbro and no season 4

• Like Like x 1
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If Transformers had continued from The Rebirth, we would have gotten the best, most interesting season of the series story-wise, but with the worst animation of the series by far. I mean, AKOM seemed to step down their game in Rebirth even from the garbage job they did in season 3. But even with horrible AKOM animation, I know I would have watched it and I'm sure I would have loved it.

Never mind Max and Scorponok -- how the hell did Headmasters manage to make Magnus dying so dull?!! That entire fight between Magnus and Sixshot should have been the most exciting thing in Transformers ever, but the whole thing is as boring as watching someone choose new drapes for their living room.

Rebirth all the way.

Couldn't disagree more strongly. Even leaving aside everything else, Rebirth at least got the characterizations and overall tone right. But on top of that, the building of the mythology as regards to Vector Sigma is far more interesting and significant than anything that Headmasters gave us.

I think a lot of the people who rip on Rebirth (talk about "hip" :rolleyes: ) are either going off of faded childhood memory, or didn't watch closely enough to see what the story was actually saying. It builds on something that was first hinted at with the birth of the Stunticons and Aerialbots in season 2's 'Key To Vector Sigma'.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I would have liked to have heard Chris Latta's Skullcruncher. He was apparentley cast in the role but never spoke in the Rebirth.

It's a shame since if you remember in MTMTE, Skullcruncher became a stand up comic and Chris Latta was a comedian in life.

It would have been awesome if they did a Decepticon Comedy Night episode.

• Like Like x 1
  19. FAKER II

FAKER II Cheap Repaint

Personally, I've never "ripped" on Rebirth as much as I would say I "prefer" the Headmasters series. I guess I like the slower build up of the story rather than the shot gun approach of cramming everything into 3 episodes. I also prefer having more episodes to watch. And I prefer that in general, the bots in the Headmasters anime were a little closer to the G1 toy models, with a few exceptions. And with Fortress Maximus and Chromedome being 2 of my absolute favorite TF toys as a kid, having those 2 play such a prominent role in the Headmasters anime (as well as look closer to their G1 toy model) played a big part in me ditching Rebirth for Headmasters. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Had season 4 continued, I may have a completely different outlook. Had it continued to season 5, I certainly would have prefer to see Powermaster Optimus Prime lead the Autobots as opposed to Ginrai in Masterforce. And I don't hate Ginrai or Masterforce. I just wish they had changed Ginrai's colors so it would be easier to differentiate between Optimus Prime and Ginrai (like Nightbeat and Minerva).

To me, ditching 3 episodes so I can enjoy over 100 more G1 episodes is worth it. But hey, that's just my preference.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Well we all would have liked more episodes.
    I'm even starting to warm up to the idea of a reboot.
    What stops me from actually wanting oneis that if thay made one now they would bring back all the season one ffanfavs, possibly even introduce Windblade and Victorion, make Arcee more "edgy and badass" and focus the whole thing on them, neglecting the new characters. So no thanks, i'll enjoy the Rebirth and have it continue in my fanfic.

• Like Like x 2