Transformers the Movie Toy Prototype Images - SPOILERS, PICS UP

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Kickback, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnman

Turnman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alternators are cars that transform into robots. Transformers are alien robots that transform into vehicles. There is difference in the concept.

Besides, even though Alternators look really pretty as vehicles, their robot modes have very limited movement (as you would expect from something designed with the vehicle mode more in mind). Even when 3D animated the big car parts would limit mobility a lot.

2. rickdraco

rickdraco Member

Now, I have just looked at the pictures again, and some of my fvorite toys, and you know what that Optimus render reminds me of? The normal robot mode (Non-supermode) Of RiD Optimus Prime. I know the legs are totally different, but it is mainly in the general bodyshape. Now, I really like that particular toy, so that just makes me all the more stoked about these designs. I think that there is a lot of pootential when they actually make a toy of it, if they go a similar route to that. Does anyone else agree with me?

3. twincast

twincast New Member

my first post after years of on and off lurking XD

so, first impressions:

and the resemblance is still great! and all this is exactly why I'll most likely be able to say that this will be the first series of transformers toys ever I'll get completely. (aside from Titanium & Masterpiece maybe, although I'm still not sure if I'll get any Titanium, the badly assembled MP-02, the damn-the-original-prototype-looked-much-better-in-line-with-Prime-and-the-paint-job-is-not-Starscream MP-03 and/or the kind of rip-off MP-04. Classics are nice, but there's at least one I won't get. And I dream of having a complete set of Dinobots and Insecticons. *le sigh* OT, sorry.)

back to topic:
    Blackout is awesome! - Incinerator would have been a cool name, too, btw. (Has there been one before? I kind of think so and that he wasn't a helicopter, but it doesn't matter now anyway, right? ;) )
    Prime is awesome! - Still not fond of the flames, but the rest is Prime-y goodness galore! the little blue parts on his forearms ready to break off are still kind of weird, though.
    Scorponok is awesome!
    Starscream is okay - So he really ended up pretty apeish. Hopefully he's at least got hands hidden under those cannons. And the head doesn't even remotely look like him. Actually, pretty much every aspect of him screams "Vehicon!" to me. I can live with that, but I ain't thrilled.

and for completeness sake:
    Bumblebee is awesome! - He actually looks kinda bug-like in robot mode, IMHO. I find that cool.
    not much I can say about frozen Megs
    and I love all names.

4. davetherave

davetherave Banned

Their is away round everything in 3D. Of course alot of G1 characters would not hav full range of movement, but thats why they would have to be redesigned, and if it still don't work cheat. Are u the guy who done that MP convoy 3D animation, I was really feeling that, thats what I was hoping to see.

5. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Apologies that I have not posted on this forum before but I feel that it is worth making a contribution as a result of the publishing of these pictures and on the movie concept as a whole.

The transition from G1 to the 7.4.7 Movie is going to be painful for some long term fans. I can fully understand where the 7.4.7 Movie producers and designers are coming from and equally where the G1 fans are at. The G1 transformers captivated the hearts and minds of so many of us growing up in the 80's, mainly because of the personalities and profiles of the robots. The G1 transformers had soul, and in turn the toys were given a soul by us. That is something which is impossible to take away. Every fan could relate to at least one G1 transformers and cherish the persona. The toys were not beautiful, brilliantly designed or really that functional but instead, it was the child's imagination that brought them to life. They had a certain ruggedness, a boxy form which was irresistibly fantastic yet at the same time bizarrely ludicrous. I mean, Soundwave was a Stereo which sat on a shelf and did nothing unless transformed. It didn't even work, yet, it remains a hugely popular toy because of the personality injected into it through the cartoon and comics.

If a toy line or cartoon was introduced now, with the same functionality and episode plot on par with G1 transformers, would it work, would it really work? Would it or could it really be appreciated by others apart from the G1 fans? Would a stereo that turns into a robot captivate a child audience that have been exposed to technologies and toys such as Robosapien, mp3 players, xbox 360s, PSPs and more?

This transition from G1 to 7.4.7 has to occur, no matter how painful or difficult a process it has become. I am not trying to explore or explain of the depth of change between the G1 and 7.4.7 characters but instead, envelop an understand of the transition. The reason for this is quite simple. It was the personalities of the G1 characters that captivated so deeply not just the look of the toys. Yes they were leagues ahead of some of the other toys at the time but it was the soul injected into the tiny diecast parts and chunks of plastic which embedded them so firmly in our world. This movie can go where it needs to go and the characters can look alien to us as they will, but it will be their personalities that draw it all together.

As fans we should be thinking of how to captivate a new audience and allow a new multitude of fans to develop and grow. This movie will undoubtedly achieve this, and why do we need to worry, we have G1 to remains about and enjoy with a passion. No one has taken away what G1 was or still is to us. There is no need to reproduce the G1 movie or TV series, as updated special effects and toys could not enhance or better the character personalities and all it has become.

The message is so clear yet being missed by so many, G1 will not be replaced... or more importantly it is not trying to be replaced or improved. Instead the concept is moving on, evolving and growing as we have done ourselves for millennia. There is so much to enjoy in life, from watching the leaves turn golden in autumn and the sound of a small stream flowing over some pebbles to the feeling of soft warm sand running through your fingers. If your unhappy about the 7.4.7 concepts, take a step back and if necessary let it go. Hold on to what was before, there is no pressure for you to accept the new ideas, movie and toys but simply let those that want to enjoy it with the same passion you have for G1 enjoy it.

6. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Well Prescient, you make a good case. I know what I would have liked to see in this film but there is really nothing that can be done about it now. Besides, I don't mean to bash on Bay. Looking on the bright side..wether I ultimatley like the movie or not... it will be more suprising experience than if I already knew what was going to happen.

7. xxxresistance

xxxresistance Member

these are so ugly....look like bionicle aliens

8. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    so many thoughts....

...this is an emmense thread, should be called the invasion of the noobs :)  lol (no offense meant, just never seen such an influx!)

Coming into this very late ~ I'm very, very conflicted on the designs.

#1. I loved the transtech designs, thought they would have made a KILLER line (far better then the embarrasement of Armada) so these designs are right up my alley...

the toy prototypes look bloody brilliant to me. and nice and complex, with real world alt modes!!! I actually prefer Blackout's toy to his movie model. (and what size classs do you think he is, i'm guessing Ultra ~ looks like a total brute) Looks friggin fantastic. and i cannot WAIT to transform that Starscream figure. all those little panels... nice and complicated, it's like the designs have caught back up to the promise of RiD finally.

#2. That's not Starscream. much as i love that toy mold, there is absolutely nothing in it relating to starscream beyond the fact that he's a jet. I LOVE THE MOLD. but as Starscream? not so much. I really understand what they're doing and what they're going for, but i think they could have benefitted by tossing the OCCASIONAL bone in there, like the back wings on Starscream, or a helmet that was at least evocative of his G1-Cybertron look (even when it's been a departure like the G2 Smokescreen mold, it's still had some common threads to tie it together) i really hope Jazz or Ironhide has door wings, that's such a classic related TF design.

I'd even be more accepting if it was Skywarp or Thundercracker ~ as several people have said, Starscream is iconic (I'd say more Iconic then Megatron even) and this just seems like too big of a departure (or, like Phazer said, Change for changes sake), especially for a character that even the most casual of "oh, i watched the cartoon when i was a kid" remembers.

#3. a lot of times, hollywood "hollywoodizes" things for no good reason. i think that may be somewhat the case here, and the designs are a little overly evocative of other properties, especially the robots from the Matrix.

#4. Prime looks really interesting. after umpteen G1 rehashes it's nice to see something new brought to the table (RiD's my favorite Prime) i cannot wait to see the simplified Toy of this, i think it'll be outstanding. Love his 'boots'. Really curious to see this in motion. In my head, i've tried to design a Prime where his entire undercarriage becomes his legs, so that all the tires end up on his legs, and this pulls that idea off really interestingly.

#5. I've never believed this would be a good movie. it's Michael Bay. in mine (and, as i understand a lot of peoples) opinion, he's only made 1-2 good movies in his career. That's tempered my anticiaption a great deal. I'll definately be there on opening day because it's a frigging LIVE. ACTION. TRANSFORMER. MOVIE. with Cullen as Prime. I hope to heck (and Desanto and Spielburg) it's good, but Bay's movie and Murphy's licensed property track records are pretty dismal.

Mostly i'm hoping for some cool new molds that'll be different takes on what we're used too.

so yeah, a mixed bag of opinions, but I am glad to see in a span of 6ish months we'll get cool throwbacks in Classics and something mind-bendingly different in the movie line.

still wish the heads were just a bit more anthropamorphized, I really think they're missing the boat on the 'relateability' factor here. but, really, the 'proof of concept' will be seeing these things in motion ~ it seems like the idea they went for was to give them a more "organic" structure, and untile we see them "living and breathing" thei's a lot to be left to the imagination.

9. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Turnman:

True. Comparing Blackout the kibble-tree toy and Blackout the helicopter-crash shambling mound, I conclude that movie Starscream will be a monkeylike Terminator endoskeleton adorned with shattered plane parts and protruding insectoid fragments.

Also:

This is not much like BM or Transtech. Both lines kept a consistent aesthetic between robot and alternate modes. Transtech Primal changed from a muscular, apelike truck to a muscular, apelike robot. BM Jetstorm changed from an spiky, angular airplane to a spiky, angular robot. Movie Blackout changes from a conventional, streamlined rotorcraft to a hulking, insectoid mess of spikes and panel fragments. While this may emphasize the 'disguise' element, it doesn't do much to give the robot and vehicle modes similar 'personalities'.

10. davetherave

davetherave Banned

I agree, the thing that made Transformers unique compared to other robots, is that parts of their robot were cleary made from parts of their alt mode, their for each robot had a unique look and feel. These robots don't look like they are made to transform, they just look a mess.

Just becuase something looks Sci-Fi doesn't mean it looks good, I mean nothing in star trek looks good or Dr. Who. G1 toys could of looked alot better, but budget and design often restricted that, the BT line and masterpiece line proves that. Whereas a masterpiece Galaxy Force toy would look more or less like the original toy as they were able to produce the toy closer to the original concept.

11. davetherave

davetherave Banned

I agree, the thing that made Transformers unique compared to other robots, is that parts of their robot were cleary made from parts of their alt mode, their for each robot had a unique look and feel. These robots don't look like they are made to transform, they just look a mess.

Just becuase something looks Sci-Fi doesn't mean it looks good, I mean nothing in star trek looks good or Dr. Who. G1 toys could of looked alot better, but budget and design often restricted that, the BT line and masterpiece line proves that. Whereas a masterpiece Galaxy Force toy would look more or less like the original toy as they were able to produce the toy closer to the original concept.

12. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Drav:

Divide the arms into upper arms and shoulderpads. Add a swivel. The shoulderpads swivel in one plane, and the upper arms are pivoted to the shoulderpads, swiveling out to the sides. This of course is not quite like the toy, but is an example of how G1 articulation can be improved without shatterformers.
    Industrial robots often have very interesting and ingenious ways to allow an arm joint several degrees of freedom and still maintain space for cables and actuators.

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

G1 Transformers look like Japanese cartoon super robots (and in essence, they originally were) and that's just not going to come out right on the big screen in live action no matter how well you articulate them. Many of us don't see it that way because we've been fans for so long. It might be a good idea for some of us to try and picture what Mazinger (a.k.a. Tranzor Z) would look like in a Hollywood movie without any changes to his design or aesthetic.

BTW, I've been reading what diehard fans of the original Battlestar Galactica have to say about SciFi's hit remake. It sounds exactly like what the diehard G1 fans are saying now. I also recall that most people who weren't diehard fans of the original Galactica reacted negatively to the early reports of organic Cylons and female Boomer and Starbuck until they actually saw the remake. Now it's the SciFi Channel's biggest hit. While I can see the points of some of those fans that the remake is missing some things from the original and that it is miles off from being the original, it also happens to be a much better show in the opinions of most people. Those few zealots are missing out on a great series. They band together in pitiful little groups and tell themselves they're right and everyone else is wrong. When they do interact with the larger fandom, they're never going to change the minds of the people who know that the new series is one of the best things on TV, and they don't accomplish anything except to annoy people and look very bitter and hard-headed.

Those of us with an open mind toward the new TF movie have already decided to wait and see as a natural matter of course. The general public is going to wait and see, regardless of people's anectodes of non-fan outrage. People who have already decided to hate anything that isn't a direct remake of the cartoon or the comic book probably aren't going to change their minds, no matter what anyone says or how unreasonable their expectations are. If it turns out to be a good movie, they'll be the ones missing out and will only look bitter and foolish like the oldschool BSG zealots.

14. davetherave

davetherave Banned

Has any bothered looking at blackout, he's about as agile looking as any g1 TF. To make him be able to run and jump, with all that kibble on his back going the hole length of his body, is gonna be a hard job.

And yes no armour does make for more agility but come on at least cover areas that don't get in the way of joints. If MP Convoys chest was more shallow, and certain areas were cut away, not to many, he would be able to do most poses with out any collision problems. A little reworking adresses them problems.

The argument for the reasons behind having less armour don't hold up in my books. The reason I think is becuase thats their interperation of what a TF should look like, nothing more nothing less.

15. Isellmysolefortransformer

Isellmysolefortransformer New Member

I Sold my sole For a Transformer Toy Picture

16. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    This is one of the complaints about these movie designs that I don't quite understand.

Why would we want the alternate modes to be so present in robot mode? One of the things I liked about TFTM's cast was that while in 'bot mode, they seemed like they didn't have an alt mode (Kup, Blurr, Wheelie, Galvatron, etc.), but then, they were fully able to transform.

I also remember when I bought Waverider (the Pretender) that the thing I liked the most about him, was that it wasn't evident he could be transformed into anything. Granted, Pretender's transformations weren't very good, but still my point stands.

This Optimus Prime, is very much like *AN* Optimus Prime in my book, looks tall and powerfull, has his signature face and even the windows on the chest ... and it also seems he's not able to transform, but we know he will. I'm loving that.

I'd say the concept of alien transforming robots coming to Earth has the same real-world basis as Vampires and Wolfs waging a secret Underworld war.

Well, I just wanted to counter your argument with something a friend of mine said about the Underworld movies when I told him I liked 'em. He said: to me the movie was ruined when I saw the werewolves walking on the walls like Aliens ... they're supposed to be huge creatures and shouldn't be able to stick to walls.

And you know what? He's right.... if we're applying real world physics. And I think we should apply real-world rules to these fantastic movies.

What's the problem if someone likes movie Bumblebee?

I'm undecided on Bumblebee BTW; but I don't care if anyone likes or hates it.

I think that a no-size-shifting Bumblebee with the windshield, roof and side windows for a chest would look really bad.

-airfox

17. R2Going

R2Going Cybertronian Sentinel

Ebay:
    I see bug faces...... How they got a stylized Soundwave face of blackout i'll never understand, i'll say it again. The thing looks like Brundlefly.

I'm placing blame on Hasbro for allowing them to turn the Decepticons into insects. This thing (starscream) is described in script as watching prey, the intent and and the overall look of the decepticons are clear, they want them to be part of the animal kingdom on earth. It's pathetic, I see jet pieces and nothing that resembles Starscream. I see a F-22 raptor that looks like a squty quasi-robotic design with very broad body, cannon and claws hands, this design was done in 1999 courtesy of Beast Machines.

18. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot What does God need with a starship?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    oh man I finally got this thread to load now I have to read through 35 pages to know what everyone else is talking about :\

19. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Good thing you didn't sell your soul. This way you can still go heaven even if it is on uncomfortable shoes.

20. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    My favorite post of the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.