Transformers The Movie 86: How would the story be different if Prime lived?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Well, Megatron would have still been either killed or reformatted into Galvatron.

2. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    We would have seen the PM Prime in toon form?

3. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Honestly, if Prime hadn't died, I doubt we'd be discussing the movie today. I mean, almost noone talks about the old 86 GI Joe movie... Prime's death (and STarscream to a lesser extent) sent shockwaves and gave the movie weight.

If he hadn't died, Unicron would have been destroyed 20 minutes later.

4. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I think the movie would have left a much lesser impression on the kids watching it. It wouldn't have had the impact, even with all the other Autobots dying. I don't have a problem with him dying in the movie, I just hate who was picked to succeed him. Rodimus sucked, he was a cpussy and he looked stupid. Any of the other Autobots introduced would have made better leaders.

As far as Prime being upgraded, I think that would have been okay, as long as he wasn't Prime any more. Megatron becoming Galvatron was cool, it could have been cool if Prime was upgraded to Ultra Magnus. Not just given and upgraded body, but a totally upgraded leader.

5. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

I agree the movie would lose a lot of its power and it certainly wouldn't be the legend it's become.

I remember being heartbroken when Prime died--remember, I was ten. My grandfather died the same year. It was rough. I'd lost the fists and trailer to my original Prime and was distraught that he couldn't even live on in my imagination.

And I remember when I begged my mother, at the age of 12, for Powermaster Optimus. In those days before the 'Net, I had no idea he was coming. I remember seeing him on the shelf at the local Kay Bee and flipping out. My mom almost didn't get him for me but I begged.

I had four favorite TFs at that time as a kid: Powermaster Prime, Ultra Magnus, Rodimus Prime, and Galvatron. I kept those four together. I have all of my other TFs, but dammit if I can find those four. I'm thirty-three now and have two kids myself. I'd love to find them to show them to my girls when they're older.

Back on topic: Yeah, the flick would've lost some of the magic it had, but man...seeing Prime upgraded and kicking Galvatron's ass as well as Unicron's would've been worth it. As well as a better 3rd season.

Ex

6. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

If Optimus had lived, he would have killed Megatron during their battle. It was only due to Hot Rod's interference that Prime did not take the fatal shot. Therefore, there would not have been a Galvatron if O.P. lived

7. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I always thought it would've been neat if IDW published a "What If?" miniseries based on Prime not dying in TF:TM. Perhaps the book begins with the Prime vs Megatron fight and diverges from there.

Personally, I think it would have not harmed the movie if Prime died at the 2/3 mark. Have Prime survive the first fight with Megatron. Megatron becomes Galvatron, and Prime upgrades himself with the Ultra Magnus trailer. If I were making this story, I'd make the UM trailer only a temporary fix, and Prime would be glitchy and dying slowly from his wounds anyway, like the T-800 in the molten metal factory climax of T2. Rematch with Galvatron on the Planet of Junk, gets killed for real, movie's last 20 minutes stay exactly the same.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hard to be sure of that, Megs escaped death before, and who's to say Unicron couldn't have re-animated Megatron alive or dead? I half believe Megatron had died in the 86 movie before Unircron called to him. Notice how Megs voice gets stronger while chatting up Unicron. Anyway, I would have loved to have Optimus live in the 86 Movie and get a Powermaster type updgrade to defeat Unicron. It would have made a better third season and we may have gotten a fourth. Optimus Prime would have gotten the Junkions to re-animate some of the other fallen heroes as well. It would have made a great "feel good" season three episode and Hasbro could have made a fortune selling upgraded Autobots. :D 

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    You don't know that. He could have just knocked him off the cliff like he did in the movie, thinking he killed him.

10. Spearhead

Spearhead NEVER!

It all depends on how quick he would have reacted to Megatron pulling out that gun, probably would have led to an "OP SHOT FIRST" discussion along the way and maybe nothing much would have changed, because OPs wounds up to that point where still quite severe. "Not dying" still doesn't equate to OP beeing in full battle strength during the rest of the movie.

So at best i would say the movie would have fared quite the same for a stretch, OP would maybe not have handed over the matrix to Galvatron, they would still have been chased of planet, split up, the Decepticons catching up to them, with someone else getting the massive upgrade from Unicron, getting hold of the matrix because of OP probably still beeing weakened and far from top form.

And at the end OP beeing inside of Unicron fighting against the upgraded Decepticon, in a last ditch effort the Matrix makes him into Powermaster Prime and thus the movie ends ^^

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I remember the video cover for the UK release of The Return of Optimus Prime made me think Powermaster Prime was going to be in it because it used the artwork from the back of the Powermaster wave toy boxes and featured the PM Prime art on the front cover. Even the story sorta seemed like it could lead to it. A heavily damaged 'dead' Optimus gets found in space, that human woman gets injured and needs mechanical help to walk (and later is wearing an exo-suit), someone mentions that Optimus' engine or power supply is damaged (that Quintesson who fixed him, I think), so it just seemed to be sort of leading to the human woman becoming his Powermaster engine partner. At least that's what my young mind was hoping when seeing it for the first time. :) 

12. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    personally if they had replaced the starscream destruction scene with a prime scene with galvatron vaporizing prime...that would have been epic...the the autobots and junkions rally to destroy unicron and route the decepticons from cybertron...

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I think this is what many of us agree with. It's not that Prime dying didn't have story impact, it's just the feeb that replaced him. Hot Rod had so little of what we were expecting in a new leader that when he was upgraded to Rodimus, it's as if the writers just had no idea what to do with such a flat character when the cartoon resumed.

Honestly, Hot Rod was no braver, more resourceful, or level-headed than say...Bumblebee or Jazz. He wasn't portrayed with any qualities we'd expect from a leader. He's a fine regular Autobot, sure, but he didn't have that certain something that Prime always had that derived from both the writing and Cullen's excellent performance.

Optimus wasn't perfect, but he came off as very wise yet approachable, strong but compassionate, and decisive. He was wrong a few times, but a leader leads and he made the tough calls when he needed to.

Hot Rod was impulsive, a little reckless, lacking somewhat in respect, and a little arrogant. He was young, so some of that's understandable, but I just wasn't seeing the seeds of a great leader, and the following seasons of the cartoon sort of bore that out, didn't it? Even the writers seemed to have no idea how to characterize him as a good leader. Frankly, I felt that Springer and Ultra Magnus kind of carried the faction for him.

I mean, anyone's who's seen "The Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime" gets it, right?

Note: NSFW language.
    YouTube - The Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime

So while I think the movie would have honestly just seemed more like a longer regular episode had Prime lived, I think the direction they did go needed some work.

- Coeloptera

14. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

15. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Sounds like a Kiss players reference.

16. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

I would so comment this one, but i would have to re-write the whole damn thing so. sorry.

17. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    ^ having a seizure now...thanks.

18. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Like that would have been a problem for a god like Unicron? Once again I believe Unicron DID renanimate a dead Megatron. BTW, the other Cons before the transformation looked dead too.

19. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Ironically that was the idea that Takara pitched at Hasbro when they showed the the "Powered Convoy" mold ,which would later be used as Ultra Magnus.

It was Takara idea that the trailer be a "upgrade" for Optimus Prime.

That is debatable.

That was one of many idea that was thrown around early in the scripts development.

20. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

I just want to note that I think we can all agree that Optimus was certainly more a "chosen one" than Hod Rod ever was or could've hoped to have been.

I like the character as Hot Rod, but Rodimus...ugh. Even the name was lazy. Adding -imus does not a Latin word make.

And there's no better name than Optimus Prime. When I say that name, I feel a sense of awe. As much as I like Ultra Magnus, it just could never have been the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.