Transformers The Movie 35th Anniversary 4K Edition

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Chris C137, May 21, 2021.

1. Groovygoth666

Groovygoth666 Member

So I've watched the 4k & Blu-ray back to back twice now, does anyone else feel that the Blu-ray is more clearer and has less haze than the 4k? Wish I had the ability to capture and compare but it really seems to me that the Blu-ray has a much cleaner picture overall.

2. Fc203

Fc203 #RestoreTheBayVerse

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    • Like Like x 2
  3. trokanmariel33

trokanmariel33 Well-Known Member

I'm getting the Transformers The Movie 4K edition for Christmas; once I have it, I'll take to routinely watching it, which is against the grain of my overall routine.

4. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Thanks, been such a busy year that even being my favorite movie as a kid, getting the 4K version just slipped down the priority list this year, but probably won't get a better deal on the Steelcase than this, so ordered.

5. Mentasm

Mentasm I check in, but I don't check out.

Is probably the same person who wrote the subtitles. Some howlers in there!

Anyway, I just had the opportunity to view the full frame BD version of the film. I spent twenty years reviewing DVDs/BDs, so I have a reasonable understanding of how to assess quality, and this annihilates the 30th anniversary release. That was touted as a 'remastered 4K source', but was littered with film artefacts and Shout! royally messed up the levels to the point that there was no true black in the image.

This not only corrects the above issues, but it just looks so much more filmic, even in 1080p. The colours are on another level to anything we've previously had, even in SDR. While I've been used to watching in widescreen for years, this 4:3 version trounces those so I'm going to become accustomed to viewing in the old eighties home video ratio again (well and the Rhino DVD ratio I guess).

The only negative I really saw was that the automated DNR has removed legitimate picture information in a few frames here and there. You're unlikely to notice unless you go looking for it, but as an example, as Unicron's (not Unicorn's) head is orbiting Cybertron at the end, the entire starfield below (and a little bit above, plus parts of his head and Cybertron itself) disappears for three or four frames. That's not the only instance, and like I said, it's not terribly obvious in motion, but it is pretty sloppy on Shout!'s part. Then again, they are a sloppy company...

It's still definitely the best version I'm likely to see for a long while though. I just can't justify upgrading to 4K for a handful of films. After I stopped reviewing I sort of fell out of love with the whole AV thing and got into collecting Transformers instead (not sure which costs more). Until my Panny plasma dies I'm gonna stick with 1080p as it looks perfectly serviceable with most releases. My collection is so big I'm spend a fortune upgrading after doing so with DVD beforehand), and most aren't even available in 4K anyway. When I'm forced to get a new TV I'll obviously go 4K and invest in a new player, but even then I'll probably only upgrade a select few of my favourite films that have actually been remastered to take full advantage.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joey Slick

Joey Slick Whirl is a Transformer.

Any idea which FHE version is more rare? I've seen a few variants: one has the classic silver FHE label on the tape like the other FHE Season 1 tapes, and another has the same label except it's white instead of silver. I've also seen two versions of the FHE box, one with a black section at the bottom and one that's all red. Attached some photos.
    silver label.JPG FHE white label.JPG FHE red stripe.JPG FHE black stripe.JPG

7. Jedi Kermit

Jedi Kermit Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The silver label is the first release and in SP mode. The cover is the "Full-Length animated feature on videocassette".
    The other is a rerelease done in SLP mode with the black border on the bottom of the cover.
    As to what is more rare, I'd guess the rerelease with the black border on the bottom.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Afterburner

Afterburner For your health

News Credits:
    I used to rent this every single time we went to the video store. This, PeeWee's Big Adventure, and Mr. Rossi's Dreams. Good times.

• Like Like x 1