Transformers the Movie (1986) is 25 Years Old Now!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Aug 8, 2011.

1. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    I'm amazed there are very few anti-Micheal Bay comments.

I saw this on TV after a TF: Cybertron marathon. It was strange seeing how different Transformers were in the 80's, and that's where I learned about G1. Still enjoy this movie.

2. X-Brawn

X-Brawn Well-Known Member

Does Prime die?

3. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Not sure if serious...

4. Team Prime

Team Prime Gosh, idiots...

*does sonic heroes pose*
    YEA!!!!

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I was 14 , it hit me hard.

6. Ecchokat

Ecchokat Ponyologiest for Hire!

Ebay:
    I was five but I did not get to see it till it came to VHS at my cousins. But its still a awsome movie.

7. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Well, that's because we are here to celebrate the '86 movie - not to Bay-love or Bay-bash.

*Raises glass to '86 TFTM*

8. Primeconvoy1

Primeconvoy1 Cybertronian Broker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I remember 25 years ago today, my best friend and I stood in line for the movie, and stayed for two more shows. The theater was packed for all three showings, and everyone in the audience was pumped!

I had a pounding headache after the third show, but dammit, it was worth it! Still love the movie to this day!

9. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Someone in my YouTube subscriptions has posted an HD version of the movie, is it okay to post it here?

10. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Ya know, why is it that I am just now noticing how high Daniel jumped into Springers arms as they were getting on the shuttle?!

11. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    I was 9 yrs old when this came out! Any TF cartoons (Non G1 of course) beyond this is absolute garbage!! Happy 25th..

12. Team Prime

Team Prime Gosh, idiots...

yes, yes, and even more yes! Do it! Now!!!

13. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

Saw it on TV. Never knew it was in theaters. I was 4 1/2 then.

14. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    25th Anniversary, huh? That means I was 12 when the movie came out, but with me living outside the U.S. - and the movie never making it to theaters here - it wouldn't be until 1989 or 1990 that I could finally see it through a VHS copy.

I remember the local TV station that aired Transformers jumped from B.O.T. to The Killing Jar, and I was completely lost. What the hell is a Quintesson? Who's Cyclonus? IIRC, I only recognized Ultra Magnus from a toy catalog.

Some weeks later, they showed FFoD, and I got a glimpse at the movie during FFoD pt1's prologue. From that moment on, I knew there was more animation to Transformers, but waited and waited and it was never showed on TV. My friends and I usually speculated about a "mythical" movie bridging the gap, a "mythical" movie some of my friends claimed they had seen on Colombia while visiting their granmother, which included scenes of Megatron stepping on - and killing - Sparkplug. :lol 

(Hey! He was not present in season 3, so it made sense)

Like I said, either in 1989 or in 1990 while visiting a video store, I found copies of TFTM and the G.I.Joe movie and grabbed both, and the mystery was solved.

To this day, I'm still a huge fan of the changes introduced by the movie. What TPTB did "to sell new toys" also opened us to a greater universe, with a space opera feel for Transformers on season 3, and introduced great new characters and artifacts. To this day, I hope Hasbro and their partners would be as bold as they were back then.

I was finally able to see the movie in a movie theater during BotCon 2000, in Fort Wayne.

"Such heroic nonsense!"

I agree.

That's because both TFTM are like apples and oranges, and both are good. I have great memories for both movies; for instance, the first time I saw Bay's first TF movie was in a packed theater full of transfans during BotCon 2007.

Guess I'll be seeing the movie tonight!

-airfox

15. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

Happy 25th! I am so watching this tonight

16. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    I remember anticipating the movie when I was twelve. We were on a camping trip and I saw a full page ad showing the original movie poster in the local newspaper. I asked my parents to take us to see it. He grumbled that it was probably a stupid movie but the day after we returned he dropped my sister and I off at the movie theater. That was the first time we saw a movie alone. I even found this in one of my folders:

[​IMG]

In the corner I taped the movie ticket.

[​IMG]

I remember being shocked at all the character deaths but somehow being more shocked at the transformation of Megatron into Galvatron. I also remember a younger child screaming "Yay Starscream" every time he appeared on screen. He wasn't too happy when Starscream got blown to bits.

After the movie we went for ice cream at the drug store next door and I bought Bumblebee.

That was a very memorable day.

17. friendship pony

friendship pony death bringer

News Credits:
    puts things into perspective.lol. going to watch it tonight as well

18. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

Count me in among those who weren't even born yet when it came out-- I wasn't even a twinkle in my dad's eye in '86, and wouldn't be for another 5 years. XD Still, I mourn the loss of the experience that all you older folks had from seeing it as a kid...I sadly spent a huge chunk of my childhood not being interested in Transformers (aside from during the Beast Era, and even then, I was childishly unaware of its connections to G1), and worse yet, even after I became the dedicated fan I am now, I still never got to see it! I spoiled the whole damn thing online, or at least the parts I didn't just pick up from popcultural osmosis, but I still remained aware of its status as a milestone in TF history thanks to the testimony of fans like you guys.

I'm currently watching for the very first time now, in crappy, low-quality Youtube form (whoever had that HD link, it would be quite appreciated!), and I'm surprisingly still blown away by several of the film's pivotal moments. The animation helps a lot, especially during scenes like Prime's death, where the many subtle details really bring the performance to life (the way his mouthplate quavered and moved slightly out of synch with his words, along with the slight twitch of his hands-- he really looked mortally wounded!). I can honestly see how folks were so amazed by this back in the day, and I'm happy to have finally joined in the experience.

19. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
  20. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

^ Thank you kindly, good sir. ^^