Transformers: The Movie 1986 getting remastered this September!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by megatronski, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Terrorcon0

Terrorcon0 Transformers Rock Star!!!

News Credits:
    The audio utilized is Bose Home Theater system full 7.1 virtual surround sound. Visual utilized is Full 3D HD 1080p DLP Projection 10000:1 contrast ratio with video/graphic 30bit 1 Billion true colour projecting a 100 inch screen calibrated to Texas Instruments highest aspects for DLP projection.

2. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    I would like to know what audio format the bluray is in?
    Also, I can't believe it's been 30 years since the theatrical release. I remember my parents dropping off me and my little bro at the movie theater in the afternoon to watch this and yes, I cried like a little bitch when OP died.

3. Terrorcon0

Terrorcon0 Transformers Rock Star!!!

News Credits:
    Shout Factory version audio is in English Stereo and 5.1 Surround Sound. UK Metronome version audio is in Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround, and DTS 5.1 Surround.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think it's a result of not messing too much with it. Things rarely photograph pure black.

5. Spaceman1251

Spaceman1251 Legendary Warrior

Instagram:
    The audio is in DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 or DTS-HDMA Stereo. For some reason I was thinking that the Madman Blu Ray I had was also Master Audio, but it's only Dolby 5.1, which is DVD quality audio. So I was even more pumped when I realized that yesterday.

6. RobotRooster

RobotRooster Member

[​IMG]

This is what is happening to the video. The encode is being set improperly for RGB PC's, where black is set at 0. The darkest anything is hitting is 16 which is very dark gray. So nothing is ever hitting true black as you can see by the empty sliver in the histogram. This is obviously a mistake they made in the encode.

7. quiktake

quiktake Well-Known Member

Is the one on VUDU the latest release? I went ahead and picked it up for $10.

8. Ioz

Ioz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm surprised producer Brian Ward hasn't chimed in on the black levels yet.

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would be very surprised to see him in here again.

10. Viper Commando

Viper Commando Active Member

This is not the first time Shout Factory has made this mistake. It's also on their BD release of Road House. They adjusted the black bars at the top & bottom to be black, but didn't correct the movie itself. They have been made aware of this issue, and have yet to acknowledge it, so I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for a disc replacement program.

There are a couple of easy fixes for this issue:

1. If your BD player allows, select RGB Full (or RGB Enhanced)

2. You can achieve a similar result by lowering the brightness of your display. Put in the full screen disc and at 07:05 you can judge what should be a fade to black against the black pillar boxes. The same adjustment would then apply to the widescreen disc.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Haven't been in my PS3s menus in a while, off the top anyone know if it has the full RGB setting?

12. flamepanther

Only a single shot, for just a couple of seconds. I checked my import Blu-Ray last night, and the same scene is blurry there too. That more or less confirms it's an issue with the negative and all existing prints. :( 

I see the histogram, but your explanation of what's going on still doesn't make sense. The possible range is still going to be from 0 to 255 no matter what the target display is. The encode doesn't know where true black is--that's up to the display. The difference is that on a properly calibrated TV, anything at 16 will show as true black. Values below 16 are still possible, it's just that they also show as true black. It does look like Shout! Factory might have set a "floor" at 16, but that's absolutely not what you'd want to do if you were encoding for PC, where 16 would display as dark grey instead of black. Instead, if we saw a lot of pixels set to 0, that's how we would know the floor was set for PC instead of HDTVs. The floor is likely there either because the negative just doesn't have very much deep black, or to aid in compression (since anything below 16 is garbage data that shouldn't be visible anyhow). If the floor is a little high on your TV, it's going to look a lot worse on your computer. If the black floor is too high, it's because not enough of the black is getting as low as 16, not because none of it is lower.

For what you're saying to make sense, your display would have to be boosting the brightness as if it's compensating for an image meant for a PC monitor. I can think of three ways that could happen:
    1. There's some kind of metadata in the HDMI data stream that flags it as being for a PC-style brightness calibration. I'm not aware of such a flag, but I don't know enough about how HDMI streams work to say that there isn't one. It would still be an issue with metadata about the encode rather than the encode itself. Or if you'd rather, the issue would be that it's flagged for PC, but encoded for TV.
    2. Your TV has "adaptive luma"/"adaptive contrast" etc. enabled. The picture on the actual disc is slightly letterboxed, which you've cropped from Blu-Ray.com's screenshot above. The letterboxing is at or close to 0, so any kind of adaptive settings will tend to treat those as the baseline for true black, boosting the brightness of anything "black" way up at 16. This is what adaptive luma/contrast is supposed to do--"enhance fine detail in dark scenes"--but it doesn't cope well with darker-than-black letterboxing. The effect is the same as if you were viewing on a PC display or a TV set to "PC" or "Game" mode.
    3. Your TV is in "PC" or "Game" mode.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  13. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I was looking over this shot again and noticed something odd. Hotrod's reflection in the water is not blurry. I thought it was filmed out of focus, but may it was an effects shot that went wrong. It's not a big deal, l'm just curious as to what happened.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    I'm still quite bent that steelbook comes with a downloadable digital copy(seriously, are we back in 2010?) and not vudu. Least it was only $20 instead of $35.

15. flamepanther

I think you're on to something. The staff review on bluray.com points out that the shot isn't actually blurry--it's a superimposed double image. It's possible they misaligned the second copy of the image while trying to create a blurry reflection effect. Interesting!

16. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:
    I'm annoyed this isn't available to buy digital on Amazon. My TV, game console, and Blu-ray player can all stream Amazon, but none can use the stupid digital copy this came with. WTF, Shout?

17. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    You can buy this from Amazon digitally. It's $20 right now. $6 to rent. Both are HD.

18. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    SO I guess it's better just to sell off the digi copy?

19. Johntimus Prime

Johntimus Prime Where's my perfect Legends-scale Ultra Magnus?

News Credits:

Sweet, thanks

20. Viper Commando

Viper Commando Active Member

PS3:
    Settings > Display Settings > RGB Full Range (HDMI) > Full

PS4:
    Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings > RGB Range > Full

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016